Re: Commonewealth Games

Post by niagraa » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:50 am

gnads wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:25 am
andysfootball wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:14 am
niagraa wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:50 am
fact is, i couldn't be bothered to watch any of it, don't even know the medal tallies.
England won. New Zealand second and Australia were fifth.
You fibber Andy :^o [-X

fibbing bloody andy eh gnads, had to laugh though :) well done australia, we beat the bloody kiwis and the poms, especially for the gold.

danet

Post by danet » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:05 pm

I thought the closing ceremony was so boring, couldn't stop yawning, and kept getting up to do some chores instead of relaxing and enjoying the big TV.
It was more like a disco or something.....all that singing......and Peter Beattie, always stuffing up, always apologizing.....I was wondering what stuff up would happen at the end, why doesn't it surprise me #-o Jo Griggs didn't hold back and as a gold medallist herself from past, she knew it was all wrong the way they went about it. Was supposed to be about the athletes.
Daughter is up on the Gold Coast and said she finally went into Surfers on Saturday, said the place looked deserted, and she found a car park so easily, were heaps of them available, so close to Caville Avenue. They had this big stage on the beach, random musicians and entertainers, I said, where are the crowds? Just a few lazy bods laying on the warm sand soaking up the sun. She went to the Pacific Fair shops, and said she was shocked to see the shops were all closed. :shock: Daughter said she couldn't believe the amount of police and guards everywhere, probably more of them than locals :roll:

People were told to keep away, and they did. I saw on the news how some restaurants on some of those blocked streets had no customers, and had to lay off staff, said it was like a ghost town, and in the meantime, many apartments including the Q1 had lowered their nightly rates to lure people back.....and again, one of the organizers said they got it wrong, after all. The whole city seemed anesthetized.
Would have been nice to let the international visitors see the Gold Coast for what it really is, a hustling and bustling busy city.

Having said that, I did enjoy watching the games on TV, and friends of ours went to quite a few of the events and put up photos on their facebook page, nothing was really close to the action.....even though it's nice to be a part of the vibe, it was far better watching it on TV with close up viewing.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:18 pm

andysfootball wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:12 am
you would have thought with all those other countries winning medals(apart from Australia)

channel 7 would have played at least one anthem from another country!!!!!
Yes Andy I reckon that was poor form .. but I suppose that fitted in nicely with the rest of the stuff ups coming from poor organising decisions.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:24 pm

danet wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:05 pm
I thought the closing ceremony was so boring, couldn't stop yawning, and kept getting up to do some chores instead of relaxing and enjoying the big TV.
It was more like a disco or something.....all that singing......and Peter Beattie, always stuffing up, always apologizing.....I was wondering what stuff up would happen at the end, why doesn't it surprise me #-o Jo Griggs didn't hold back and as a gold medallist herself from past, she knew it was all wrong the way they went about it. Was supposed to be about the athletes.
Daughter is up on the Gold Coast and said she finally went into Surfers on Saturday, said the place looked deserted, and she found a car park so easily, were heaps of them available, so close to Caville Avenue. They had this big stage on the beach, random musicians and entertainers, I said, where are the crowds? Just a few lazy bods laying on the warm sand soaking up the sun. She went to the Pacific Fair shops, and said she was shocked to see the shops were all closed. :shock: Daughter said she couldn't believe the amount of police and guards everywhere, probably more of them than locals :roll:

People were told to keep away, and they did. I saw on the news how some restaurants on some of those blocked streets had no customers, and had to lay off staff, said it was like a ghost town, and in the meantime, many apartments including the Q1 had lowered their nightly rates to lure people back.....and again, one of the organizers said they got it wrong, after all. The whole city seemed anesthetized.
Would have been nice to let the international visitors see the Gold Coast for what it really is, a hustling and bustling busy city.

Having said that, I did enjoy watching the games on TV, and friends of ours went to quite a few of the events and put up photos on their facebook page, nothing was really close to the action.....even though it's nice to be a part of the vibe, it was far better watching it on TV with close up viewing.
4 years in the planning & still stuff it up ..... Beattie couldn't organise a root in a brothel.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:36 pm

the press have not mentioned that most of the organisation was good

with so much going on at the same time there's bound to be a few hiccups

personally the athletics on the Saturday was well planned and a lot of people got to Carrara and left there with ease

they obviously over estimated how busy surfers would be but apparently all the action was at broad beach

the closing ceremony was a stuff up and really disrespectful to the athletes

the opening ceremony was far too one sided towards indigenous beginnings

overall for the whole games seven out of ten
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:01 am

The actual athletic competition wasn't what I was getting at Andy.

But I did hear that Athletes had an 8 klm walk to attend one venue event?

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:53 am

gnads wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:01 am
The actual athletic competition wasn't what I was getting at Andy.

But I did hear that Athletes had an 8 klm walk to attend one venue event?
could only happen to an athlete!!!
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:42 am

Meaning?

Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:20 am

We took our kids to the Commonwealth Games in 1982 at Brisbane and our son took his kids this time to the Gold Coast. They spent the Saturday at the athletics, went to the weightlifting, volleyball and swimming. He wanted to go to the swimming finals but couldn't justify $400 a ticket. Overall they all had a great time and no problems getting from one spot to another on the free transport. He did say he could have driven around as the roads wern't as busy has he thought they would be. All in all they had a great few days.
Life doesn't have an undo button

Return to “The Corner Shop”