Elon Musk

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Elon Musk

Post by Daddy O » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Elon Musk – Great Hero of our world today.

OK, I said it, and it’s out there for debate. Let’s take a quick glimpse of Musk’s life.

Elon Musk, born in 1971, is a South African-born Canadian American business magnate, investor, engineer and inventor. He is the founder, CEO, and lead designer of SpaceX; co-founder, CEO, and product architect of Tesla, Inc.; and chairman of SolarCity.

In December 2016, he was ranked 21st on the Forbes list of The World's Most Powerful People. As of February 2018, he has a net worth of $20.1 billion and is listed by Forbes as the 53rd richest person in the world.

Born in Pretoria, Musk taught himself computer programming at the age of 12. He moved to Canada when he was 17 to attend Queen's University. He transferred to the University of Pennsylvania two years later, where he received an economics degree from the Wharton School and a degree in physics from the College of Arts and Sciences. He began a PhD in applied physics and material sciences at Stanford University in 1995 but dropped out within a month to pursue an entrepreneurial career. He subsequently co-founded Zip2, a web software company, which was acquired by Compaq for $340 million in 1999. Musk then founded X.com, an online payment company. It merged with Confinity in 2000 and became PayPal, which was bought by eBay for $1.5 billion in October 2002.

In May 2002 Musk founded SpaceX, an aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company, of which he is CEO and lead designer. He co-founded Tesla, Inc., an electric vehicle and solar panel manufacturer, in 2003, and operates as its CEO and product architect. In 2006 he inspired the creation of SolarCity, a solar energy services company that is now a subsidiary of Tesla, and operates as its chairman.

In 2015 Musk co-founded OpenAI, a nonprofit research company that aims to promote friendly artificial intelligence, and serves as its co-chair. He co-founded Neuralink, a neurotechnology company focused on developing brain–computer interfaces, in July 2016 and is its CEO. He founded The Boring Company, an infrastructure and tunnel-construction company, in December 2016.

In addition to his primary business pursuits, Musk has envisioned a high-speed transportation system known as the Hyperloop, and has proposed a vertical take-off and landing supersonic jet electric aircraft with electric fan propulsion, known as the Musk electric jet. Musk has stated that the goals of SpaceX, Tesla, and SolarCity revolve around his vision to change the world and humanity.

His goals include reducing global warming through sustainable energy production and consumption, and reducing the "risk of human extinction" by establishing a human colony on Mars.

Musk understands the environment and he understands efficiency. With Tesla he wanted an all electric automobile, thus, the first thing he did was to reduce the weight to make the vehicle as light as possible because he knew the batteries were going to be the heaviest items in the car. He then streamlined the vehicle in order to reduce the drag and make the design the most energy efficient design of any automobile ever produced. What he did turned out to be a monumental success……..but it wasn’t enough for him.

In 2002 he sold PayPal to eBay for 1.5 billion dollars and invested every cent from that sale in developing SpaxeX. He is doing the same thing with SpaceX as he did with Tesla, making it the worlds greatest space program by developing super rockets that use much less fuel than the conventional rockets. In fact, SpaceX’s rockets only use about 0.3 percent of the rockets full payload weight for take off and landings. His rockets are reusable, making the costs very low. He has even developed a vertical takeoff and landing rocket, making the entire rocket very close to 100% reusable.

The brains and abilities of Elon Musk is the future of our world. I just wish I could be around to see it all blend together.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Elon Musk

Post by sherri » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:16 pm

I don't know if he is the one behind it, but I have been reading about the possibility of aircraft that in the future will fly at great heights, on the verge of space, drastically cutting travelling time.
Bring it on.

One thing that really turns me off about travel is the long distance stuff where, what with flights & waiting for connections & having to arrive hours before a flight leaves etc, means you can be on the go for 24 hours straight. In England & US you don't face that, you've got tiny little flight times of only a few hours.
But it would make a difference to us if we could get places in eg 10 hours. Bliss.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:31 am

and reducing the "risk of human extinction" by establishing a human colony on Mars.
That's the bit that brings it all undone for me. :lol:
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:16 am

Settlement on Mars or something similar may happen one day, gnads, whether through Elon Musk or not.
But to reduce the risk of human extinction by establishing such a colony is extremely long range thinking as I predict that even if a colony was established, it would be reliant on help from earth for decades, if not longer.
So if the human race does anything stupid within the next 100-200 years it could all be over, even if there is a colony out on Mars.

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:32 am

Of course there is the theory that the Human race is half alien to start with and the alien input is what kick started us into what we are today, not yet the finished article but all going well after we finally get through our savage state who knows what will be possible.
I voted leave

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:38 am

That flies in the face of the theory of evolution Pilot.

And if we're part Alien(David Ickes Lizard men :lol: )... so is every living thing on this planet - animal, reptile, fish, crustacean, bird, back to the dinosaurs, amoebas, palnkton, zooplankton, protozoans etc etc.

And what about it all happening after the big bang theory?

Elon Musk is a dreamer, Tesla have been doing it tough lately ..who could afford to buy one anyway?

He wants to be careful he doesn't go down the gurgler ... many of the entrepreneurial types have done so before him .. only thing is when they go they take a lot of investors with them.

He has the making of a megalomaniac if he's not already.... DaddyO is impressed with all his dollar signs & his ego ..... typically predictable.

Elon will d*e like all of us .... he won't take it with him or he won't have any when he goes.

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:55 am

gnads wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:31 am
and reducing the "risk of human extinction" by establishing a human colony on Mars.
And all this time I thought it was landing two USA astronauts on the moon. My, my how times have changed.

Tell us GNADS......what is your greatest achievement to mankind?

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:55 am

Not sure what your on about with the big bang theory, I do believe in evolution but maybe just maybe we Humans have evolved much faster than other species because of some Alien input, the great apes for example don't seem to have evolved as fast as mankind is evolving, mankind seems to have made a great leap in evolution at some stage. I think most people accept we started out as a very simple life form then evolved into a type of great ape then whoosh our type of ape took off where other similar apes stood still.
I voted leave

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:57 pm

I'm not convinced we're half alien at all, I don't think we need to suppose that creatures had to land here to give us a kick start and I don't see any evidence of it.

There is an interesting fact though & it is that apparently all the atoms in this world are constantly on the move & quite a few that are in your body now were once up in space. And when people & animals d*e, eventually their atoms recycle so we've probably all got a couple of Shakespeare's atoms, but it's a bit too early to have any of Elvis Presley's. :D

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:55 pm

I'm not convinced Sherri, but maybe just maybe :-)
I voted leave

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:16 pm

Daddy O wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:55 am
gnads wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:31 am
And all this time I thought it was landing two USA astronauts on the moon. My, my how times have changed.

Tell us GNADS......what is your greatest achievement to mankind?

Proving you can do something - before someone else does - doesn't always equate to that achievement being beneficial to mankind.

If the Apollo 11 moon landings were so beneficial why did they cease trying to put men on the moon after 1972?

And if they want to experiment with establishing a colony on another planet ... why wouldn't they first try to do it on the closest planet?

You God Worshipping Elon Musk doesn't make everything you believe about him to be a "benefit to mankind".

If we did a few things to look after our own planet there would be no need to think we would have to look to other planets for the survival of the species.

Your mates in big Gas & Oil are doing their darndest to prove Elon Musk correct and there is a genuine concern about the earths future at it's present rate of resource & monetary rapacity.

Nothing he does in ramping up the space race will benefit you.

Return to “The Corner Shop”