Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by ralph » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:49 pm

sherri wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:40 pm
memor wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:15 pm
Why bother robbing a bank.. In the UK if you shoplift and it comes to under £200 the Police will not prosecute.... Shoplifting has increased 200% and rising since this was announced
That's far too much for people to be able to take without penalty.

Obviously the courts are too busy to handle it. Surely there could be an easier way where the judges aren't imposed upon.
In proven cases of theft, what if the people (or parents, if the minors are nabbed) have to pay back the cost of what they stole, doubled. And if they are on unemployment etc, 5% taken out of it every fortnight till it is paid off, plus compulsory attendance with social services to discuss problems, budgeting.
Sherri, if they had to pay back 5% eack week, they would be out trying to steal at least twice that to make up the shortfall. In some of the shops in my High Street, most of the check-outs are self service. I avoid them like the plague, but when pushed by staff to use them (with their help) I am told only to put an empty bag on the checkout as it is 'weighing the contents to see if I have paid for everything.' While all this is going on, the shoplifters are filling their bags from the shelves and will never come near the check out - manned or otherwise. They are often to be found a few minutes later in near-by pubs offering their loot for sale. They are totally brazen, knowing they are hardly ever going to be challenged. Sad but true.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:40 am

Over here, there are easier ways to steal. My niece works in K Mart. She said they have a policy of if someone comes in and wants money back on an item, they can get it but they don't have to have a receipt. The only catch is if they have no receipt, they get a credit instead.

So, K mart here have a stupid shop layout in their stores. registers in the middle so people who have purchased walk out past lots of racks & displays before they exit the store. Plenty of time to slip something into the bag.
Plus-people can go into the store, pick up a fishing rod (apparently fishing stuff is popular as it is expensive), go to the middle of the store and say they are there for money back but don't have receipt and presto, get a credit note for a hundred dollars or more.

She said she has seen it done by dodgy people and they know very well what has happened but without taking it further, nothing they can do.

In the store that was there previously (Big W), the returns section was at the front before you walked in so you couldn't try that sort of nonsense, or not as easily.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 am

Plus over here, the Sudanese gangs just walk into a store or servo as a gang, take what they like, wander out. No hurry, no stress, happy & laughing.
One service station I know of has been done over 3 times in a fortnight.
There's CCTV footage but usually nothing happens.
The police have said (as I asked) that the gang members are under 18, classified as refugees from war torn places & nothing can be done.
the problem is the gang members know it, so no charges, no consequences.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:29 am

sherri wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 am
Plus over here, the Sudanese gangs just walk into a store or servo as a gang, take what they like, wander out. No hurry, no stress, happy & laughing.
One service station I know of has been done over 3 times in a fortnight.
There's CCTV footage but usually nothing happens.
The police have said (as I asked) that the gang members are under 18, classified as refugees from war torn places & nothing can be done.
the problem is the gang members know it, so no charges, no consequences.
Sherri, we have on big chain grocery supermarket near me, where they have a gondola right next to the door, where the advertise lots of products with 50% reductions. It is common to see people walk in off the street, help themselves and walk out again. On one occasion I drew the attention of the security guard to this and he just looked embarrassed and shuffled off to the back of the shop. To help cut their costs, soon afterwards, they stopped employing security staff.

Speaking of cost cutting. the local Council closed our local police station and instead spent ££500,000 on establishing a 'counter presence' policeman in a local store. That lasted for three years and now that has gone too. We just seem to be giving up on law and order.

Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:41 pm

Gadzooks! 200 quid!!! Just think of all the Mars bars we could've nicked when we were kids if that had been the rule back then! Swainston's and Rose's would have gone bust! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Wild Witch-Wizard of Whiteleas
Was a changeling's son from Mars.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
And played them on a Fender guitar - Oh yeah.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:12 pm

Rosie wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 pm
You could be right Pilot

Headlines in our local paper this morning

https://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au ... n/3334640/
Rosie you can thank this goings on for the fall out from having a large prison in our area.

With at least a half dozen halfway houses in Hervey Bay & the same amount in Maryborough they are released into our communities, which are high unemployment & classed as low socio-economic areas.

Add to that the fact that many inmates families move into the area from all over to be near the old man when he's in the slot ..... putting added pressure on govt funded housing, services and adding to the crime rate.

Another dumb move by our Council.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:44 pm

It's too much trouble. Better to let them off and not bother the Courts.. This is Policing in the UK these days......
I always value Pilots wit and input

Return to “The Corner Shop”