Armed Robbery

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

User avatar
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 17050
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Saudi Shields

Armed Robbery

Post by Pilot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:39 pm

I was having lunch downtown when the owner told us there was an ongoing robbery at Barclays bank in King street, South Shields. https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no ... e-14283456
I mean to say you expect this sort of thing in Texas or OZ but not in good old shields :wink:
I voted leave

Image

User avatar
Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 5101
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Contact:

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by Daddy O » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Pilot wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:39 pm
I was having lunch downtown when the owner told us there was an ongoing robbery at Barclays bank in King street, South Shields. https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no ... e-14283456
I mean to say you expect this sort of thing in Texas or OZ but not in good old shields :wink:
In Texas and OZ? Come on man. :lol:

But the solution the Brits will come up with will be to outlaw knives. Just remember.....if you outlaw knives, only outlaws will have knives. No? :shock:

User avatar
Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 5048
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:21 am
Location: Up on the roof

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by Rosie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 pm

You could be right Pilot

Headlines in our local paper this morning

https://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au ... n/3334640/
Life doesn't have an undo button

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4094
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by ralph » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:16 pm

Pilot wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:39 pm
I was having lunch downtown when the owner told us there was an ongoing robbery at Barclays bank in King street, South Shields. https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no ... e-14283456
I mean to say you expect this sort of thing in Texas or OZ but not in good old shields :wink:
I would be very surprised if they are not quickly caught, there are such a lot of CCTV cameras about now and Shields is not a very big town. When I first moved to London in the early 1970's. bank and security vehicle robberies were extremely common with the weapons of choice being sawn-off shotguns. Todays big-time criminals find it less dangerous and more profitable to get involved in the d*ugs trade, though stabbings and shootings are common place at the lower level. :(

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by sherri » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:44 pm

Hold ups at petrol stations etc are so common here they don't make the news.
I'm on a Facebook page about crimes in the local area so I see mention of them.

They're not in what you would call rough areas either, often on biggish intersections where there are a lot of escape routes.

We also have the situation of gangs of youths walking into supermarkets & big stores, taking what they like, walking out. Not running, just walking & laughing. There's power in numbers. Plenty of CCTV footage but rarely any arrests. Usually youths of African appearance. And even if the odd one is caught, nothing much happens to them.

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11939
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by gnads » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:04 am

They aren't scared of cameras.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

User avatar
andysfootball
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12052
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:29 pm
Location: HMS Bounty
Contact:

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by andysfootball » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 am

they wouldn't get much cash from a bank in shields

poor targeting really
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

User avatar
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 17050
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Saudi Shields

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by Pilot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:43 am

I think £25,000 was mentioned but it was in a safty box I think and i'm sure if they are forced open the money is covered in a dye that makes it useless. It is against the law to carry a knife in the UK as far as I know, I remember when I was a Pilot apprentice in the 1960s I carried a sheath knife it had a 6 inch blade and was strapped to my belt I needed it for cutting and splicing rope, often after my 4pm to midnight watch I would walk home about 2 1/2 miles and was often stopped by the police wanting to look into my bag and they always questioned me about the knife but after I explained all was OK. I'm not sure what would happen these days.
I voted leave

Image

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by sherri » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:12 pm

I think double sided knives aren't allowed to be carried here either.

I don't think the aim of thieves is always to make a massive hit. The days of trying to rob banks etc are long gone.

These days they are after soft targets-a few freebies from the shop, a bit of cash. If you're 16 or 17 and can get an easy $200, you're laughing. Even an easy $50 if you stop a car and bash or threaten the driver. The added advantage is if you keep to smaller crimes, the police don't bother too hard to come after you & you get a community sentence, not a conviction, if you are unlucky enough to be caught.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4519
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by whip » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:01 pm

South Shields 15 min's of fame :lol:
GB FIRST

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4094
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by ralph » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:33 am

whip wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:01 pm
South Shields 15 min's of fame :lol:
You have clearly forgotten the frequency with which Mr Angry would post pictures of the lobsters that he would almost pick up daily from the rocks around our shore. I would have thought that might have impressed a man who admires them so. Ah, but that is fame - nothing lasts. :lol:

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4519
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by whip » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 pm

ralph wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:33 am
whip wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:01 pm
South Shields 15 min's of fame :lol:
You have clearly forgotten the frequency with which Mr Angry would post pictures of the lobsters that he would almost pick up daily from the rocks around our shore. I would have thought that might have impressed a man who admires them so. Ah, but that is fame - nothing lasts. :lol:
Take more than that to impress me.
GB FIRST

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11939
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by gnads » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:46 pm

whip wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 pm
ralph wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:33 am
whip wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:01 pm
South Shields 15 min's of fame :lol:
You have clearly forgotten the frequency with which Mr Angry would post pictures of the lobsters that he would almost pick up daily from the rocks around our shore. I would have thought that might have impressed a man who admires them so. Ah, but that is fame - nothing lasts. :lol:
Take more than that to impress me.
Says Shania Whip :lol:
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4519
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by whip » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Very droll gnads.

Not once did I see a Lobster whilst in Austria the other week.

I was bloody robbed '' Not armed '' of fine cuisine so I was :(
GB FIRST

User avatar
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:48 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by Barney » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:03 pm

When I was a lad, late '60's/early '70's, as a boy scout (22nd South Shields Brownsea Hall C Troop, begorra!), I carried a 6-inch sheath knife and a hand axe through the streets of Shields and at campsites all over the north of England. We also humped around felling axes and other lethal weapons, and it was all deemed to be normal and not a problem. Them was the days! :)
Pilot wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:43 am
I think £25,000 was mentioned but it was in a safty box I think and i'm sure if they are forced open the money is covered in a dye that makes it useless. It is against the law to carry a knife in the UK as far as I know, I remember when I was a Pilot apprentice in the 1960s I carried a sheath knife it had a 6 inch blade and was strapped to my belt I needed it for cutting and splicing rope, often after my 4pm to midnight watch I would walk home about 2 1/2 miles and was often stopped by the police wanting to look into my bag and they always questioned me about the knife but after I explained all was OK. I'm not sure what would happen these days.
The Wild Witch-Wizard of Whiteleas
Was a changeling's son from Mars.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
And played them on a Fender guitar - Oh yeah.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4094
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by ralph » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:03 pm

Barney wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:03 pm
When I was a lad, late '60's/early '70's, as a boy scout (22nd South Shields Brownsea Hall C Troop, begorra!), I carried a 6-inch sheath knife and a hand axe through the streets of Shields and at campsites all over the north of England. We also humped around felling axes and other lethal weapons, and it was all deemed to be normal and not a problem. Them was the days! :)
Pilot wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:43 am
I think £25,000 was mentioned but it was in a safty box I think and i'm sure if they are forced open the money is covered in a dye that makes it useless. It is against the law to carry a knife in the UK as far as I know, I remember when I was a Pilot apprentice in the 1960s I carried a sheath knife it had a 6 inch blade and was strapped to my belt I needed it for cutting and splicing rope, often after my 4pm to midnight watch I would walk home about 2 1/2 miles and was often stopped by the police wanting to look into my bag and they always questioned me about the knife but after I explained all was OK. I'm not sure what would happen these days.
There are always exceptions to the rules, but knife and gun crime goes on mostly within certain communities that I dare not mention for fear I may upset the sensitive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:48 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by Barney » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:40 am

Nice one, ralph. I live just outside of Toronto now, and my wife and I have bets every evening to see how many shootings and stabbing there's been downtown each night!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Wild Witch-Wizard of Whiteleas
Was a changeling's son from Mars.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
And played them on a Fender guitar - Oh yeah.

User avatar
memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4871
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:23 am
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by memor » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:15 pm

Why bother robbing a bank.. In the UK if you shoplift and it comes to under £200 the Police will not prosecute.... Shoplifting has increased 200% and rising since this was announced
I always value Pilots wit and input

User avatar
andysfootball
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12052
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:29 pm
Location: HMS Bounty
Contact:

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by andysfootball » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:35 pm

that's a lovely pair of new shoes your wearing memor!
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Armed Robbery

Post by sherri » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:40 pm

memor wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:15 pm
Why bother robbing a bank.. In the UK if you shoplift and it comes to under £200 the Police will not prosecute.... Shoplifting has increased 200% and rising since this was announced
That's far too much for people to be able to take without penalty.

Obviously the courts are too busy to handle it. Surely there could be an easier way where the judges aren't imposed upon.
In proven cases of theft, what if the people (or parents, if the minors are nabbed) have to pay back the cost of what they stole, doubled. And if they are on unemployment etc, 5% taken out of it every fortnight till it is paid off, plus compulsory attendance with social services to discuss problems, budgeting.

Post Reply

Return to “The Corner Shop”