Fake News

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Fake News

Post by ralph » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:19 pm

There has been a great deal of talk in the media about 'fake news' and usually we are told that it started as a post by some idiot on social media, or by 'Bots' created by Russia to try and undermine our democratic elections. Seldom can the fake news be attributed to a named person, but here is case of one owning up to his mischief:

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — In a potentially damaging admission on the eve of his first visit to Russia as a member of the Dutch government, Foreign Minister Halbe Zijlstra on Monday acknowledged lying about attending a meeting with President Vladimir Putin in 2006.

Zijlstra issued a statement confirming the admission he made in an interview published in Monday's edition of respected Dutch daily De Volkskrant.

Zijlstra has in the past said he was present as an employee of energy giant Shell at Putin's country retreat when the Russian president said he considered Belarus, Ukraine and the Baltic states as part of a "Greater Russia."

In a written statement, Zijlstra said that he was not present at the meeting in 2006 but heard the story from somebody who was there. He said he considered Putin's statements so geopolitically important that he spoke about them publicly and took credit for hearing the comments as a way of protecting his source.

"The manner in which I wanted to protect my source and underscore my message about Russia was not sensible, that is crystal clear," Zijlstra said.

He wasn't there, and he cannot or will not name his source. Even Judge Judy would not allow such evidence in Court - and his Government is sending him to a meeting with his Russian counterpart? If I were his Prime Minister I would be telling him to find a new job and if I were the Putin, I would refuse to let him in the country

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Fake News

Post by ralph » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 pm

I see that he has fallen on his own sword and resigned.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:22 pm

Pretty brazen lie when you think about it. The people present could easily have been verified, you would think. It looks as if he got caught out anyway.
You're right, it was hearsay.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 am

sherri wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:22 pm
Pretty brazen lie when you think about it. The people present could easily have been verified, you would think. It looks as if he got caught out anyway.
You're right, it was hearsay.
It's worse than hearsay Sherrie, as there is nothing to support that it was ever said at all. It wasn't until it was proved that he wasn't even in Russia when the meeting took place that he admitted he had lied. No doubt Intelligence Agencies were quick to pick up on this 'information' from such 'A reliable source' where it would take on a life of its own and help fuel the paranoia :roll: .

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:06 pm

Some of the report's are laughable.
GB FIRST

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 pm

On this side of the pond, anything and everything reported by CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, The Wallstreet Journal, The Washington Post, The Dallas Morning News, The Austin AMerican Statesman, The Chicago Tribune, The Miami Times, The Tampa Bay Herald.......and I have listed just a few, are considered “Fake News” by the Republicans.

On the other hand.....Fox News is the only reliable source reporting political news.

I’m not sure that Republicans can actually read or comprehend what they are reading.

What a pisser my country is in. Hopefully, the elections in November will change all of that.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 pm

What elections do you have in November?

Return to “The Corner Shop”