Want to go to Mars?

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Want to go to Mars?

Post by Daddy O » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:25 pm

This is the most phenomenal event I have witnessed since the 1960's. Space X is a private organization from the owner of Tesla.......perhaps the most expensive and best built automobile in the world. They are building a space program "out of pocket" and with donations from individual people. This rocket had to cost many Billions of dollars to invent and test, and is the "LARGEST" rocket to ever be launched. The people at Space X have a great sense of humor.......note the "Tesla" which popped out of the capsule after leaving the atmosphere. Simply too funny. Their ultimate goal is to put people on Mars. There is no doubt in my mind they will achieve that goal.

The launch took place at "The Cape", which is about 1-1/2 hours from me. It is simply breath taking. What makes it even sweeter for me, is the event took place on what would have been my Dad's 100th birthday.

Enjoy.

www.space.com/39632-spacex-falcon-heavy ... -next.html

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Want to go to Mars?

Post by ralph » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Daddy O, I watched the launch - brilliant. I know and understand why the Government might find it hard to fund such a project when there are so many calls on taxpayer's money, so it is good to see private enterprise giving it a go. Pure show-Biz putting his car as the cargo, but certainly attention grabbing and great advertising. :D

champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:06 pm

I'd like to go just to catch up on old friends.... :alien: :lol:

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:08 am

Saw it on the news.
So many people think space exploration is a waste of money but I don't think it will be, not in the long run.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:57 am

Wouldn't trust Elon Musk as far as I could kick him.

Pure waste of money.

Nah nah na na nah ...... My rocket is the most powerful rocket in the world. :roll:

With what's going on in the world today this sort of wholesale waste & ego stroking takes the headlines. :x
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:28 am

Well, that's one way to look at it. I guess when you drive around in a circle all day long, that might be the approach one would take.

On the other hand, let's look at all of the good things/inventions that came out of the USA space exploration, shall we?

Here are a few.........there's many more:

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/infographics/i ... p?id=11358

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:20 pm

champion. wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:06 pm
I'd like to go just to catch up on old friends.... :alien: :lol:
By eck Champ, Give the poor buggers a chance :)
GB FIRST

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:01 pm

I hear the car could be orbiting the Sun for millions of years, the mind boggles at the thought !
I voted leave

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:56 pm

Pilot wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:01 pm
I hear the car could be orbiting the Sun for millions of years, the mind boggles at the thought !
I hear those Tesla’s get great mileage. :D

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:57 am

Daddy O wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:28 am
Well, that's one way to look at it. I guess when you drive around in a circle all day long, that might be the approach one would take.

On the other hand, let's look at all of the good things/inventions that came out of the USA space exploration, shall we?

Here are a few.........there's many more:

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/infographics/i ... p?id=11358

Since when has Elon Musk been a part of the US Space Exploration?

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Do a little research Gnads. He owns SoaceX and has put into orbit numerous satellites for the Military and NASA.

He has developed rockets that are recyclable. Some of them can take off from a launch pad and be returned back to the same launch pad in the same vertical fashion as they were launched in.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Daddy O wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:04 pm
Do a little research Gnads. He owns SoaceX and has put into orbit numerous satellites for the Military and NASA.

He has developed rockets that are recyclable. Some of them can take off from a launch pad and be returned back to the same launch pad in the same vertical fashion as they were launched in.
I'm particularly impressed with with the rockets that are able to land in the vertical postion.

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Me too Ralph. But, you've got to wonder how long it would take to get to Mars. They better bring a lot of wine & booze with them.....not to mention the size of the crapper.

I'm sure those guys have thought through the logistics of all of that.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:30 am

Daddy O wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:04 pm
I was aware of that ... I saw some of the early trials that failed ... before the successful ones.

Doesn't surprise me re: NASA outsourcing.

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 am

Maybe SpaceX could put a train on Mars......but the, how stupid wouldn that be?

NAW........They would be better landing two men on the moon AGAIN.

BWAHAHAHA

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:55 am

Daddy O wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 am
Maybe SpaceX could put a train on Mars......but the, how stupid wouldn that be?

NAW........They would be better landing two men on the moon AGAIN.

BWAHAHAHA
A small attempt at humour ... very small.

Bottom line is ... what's the point of putting people in space ... or even talking of colonising another planet?

We haven't been managing this one too well lately ... what chance somewhere in space where survival would be reliant on supplies from earth?

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:15 pm

gnads wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:55 am

Bottom line is ... what's the point of putting people in space ... or even talking of colonising another planet?

We haven't been managing this one too well lately ... what chance somewhere in space where survival would be reliant on supplies from earth?
Humans are never going to be perfect, we're an aggressive lot at times. Probably that is what has helped us survive as a species.

I think at first people will be reliant on supplies from Earth but eventually, yes, they will need to become independent.

The first colonists in Australia were on the brink of starvation several times in those early years, till the supply ships arrived from Britain. It will be the same in Space. I wouldn't want to be in the first group, or even the second or third.

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:36 pm

The Universe has always fascinated me, its mind blowing, can our brains even imagine infinity, its been calculated there are more stars out there than there are grains of sand in the World and many of our closest Stars have planets, so the number of planets must be huge (huge doesnt really cover it) anyway to my mind we know of at least one planet that supports life, can it be possible that Earth is the only planet capable of supporting life, I don't think so. I think its quite normal for a curious species like mankind to want to explore first out own planet and now with modern technology the Galaxy and beyond, my one regret is I wont be around to see it.
I voted leave

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Pilot wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:36 pm
The Universe has always fascinated me, its mind blowing, can our brains even imagine infinity, its been calculated there are more stars out there than there are grains of sand in the World and many of our closest Stars have planets, so the number of planets must be huge (huge doesnt really cover it) anyway to my mind we know of at least one planet that supports life, can it be possible that Earth is the only planet capable of supporting life, I don't think so. I think its quite normal for a curious species like mankind to want to explore first out own planet and now with modern technology the Galaxy and beyond, my one regret is I wont be around to see it.
'my one regret is I wont be around to see it.' Pilot, I so agree with you on that, so much to know and yet we have the certainty that we older members will not be sharing in that knowledge. :(

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 pm

I think our world is a dangerous/risky place to travel in ....... I'm sure it is exponentially more so in space & will remain that way for a long long time.

My honest opinion is that it's a monumental waste of money when there are so many worldly issues that need to be resolved ..... & going by todays standard that too will remain that way for a long long time .... perhaps evermore, evermore, :lol:

Return to “The Corner Shop”