Moderator: andysfootball

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Want to go to Mars?

Post by sherri » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:01 am

Pilot wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:36 pm
The Universe has always fascinated me, its mind blowing, can our brains even imagine infinity, its been calculated there are more stars out there than there are grains of sand in the World and many of our closest Stars have planets, so the number of planets must be huge (huge doesnt really cover it) anyway to my mind we know of at least one planet that supports life, can it be possible that Earth is the only planet capable of supporting life, I don't think so. I think its quite normal for a curious species like mankind to want to explore first out own planet and now with modern technology the Galaxy and beyond, my one regret is I wont be around to see it.
Of course it isn't. But the main type of life, even on Earth, is microscopic life & then insect life. Big species on our planet are relatively rare in comparison.
It will be the same on other planets, most likely.

There's no reason to suppose they will look remotely like humans, any more than a moth does, or a spider. I sure hope they don't look like spiders. It won't end well. :wink:

I can't see why we shouldn't explore. Earth only has a few billion years to go before the star runs out. We better get a wriggle on. :D

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 pm

Daddy O wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:25 pm
Me too Ralph. But, you've got to wonder how long it would take to get to Mars. They better bring a lot of wine & booze with them.....not to mention the size of the crapper.

I'm sure those guys have thought through the logistics of all of that.
You have to talking years for these expeditions and some people have already volunteered to make a one way trip in an effort to try and establish a 'colony' there. Some people will do just about anything to become famous. :lol:

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:37 pm

I'd be sure there will be a lot of people willing & eager to go, for the adventure. There have already been people who have lived in isolation for a year or two, like cavemen & women, as part of experiments. I remember thinking that I wouldn't be keen to spend that amount of time away from everyday life.
It will probably start out as a one way ride but I did read they hope to slowly change the atmosphere on Mars.

They will have to go further afield eventually though as Mars is in the same boat as Earth as far as the sun goes. Mind you, our species may not be around billions of years anyway, to have to worry.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:16 am

Sherri how long have modern humans been on this planet? A. 200,000 years

Civilisation? A. 6,000 years

Industrialisation? A. 250 years

Even though some alarmists say we have altered the atmosphere on earth in that short 250 years .... we haven't.

Mother nature & the earth itself make any changes.

So I don't know how any full of themselves humans think they can go to a very distant planet where you can't breath or grow anything
and expect that they can change the atmosphere there on MARS or any other planet?

I think it's bollocks.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:06 pm

I wouldn't know exactly how they would do it, gnads. I think it was just speculation on what they 'might' be able to do.
I think they were hoping for plants to grow under domes & eventually help out.

Whether they will achieve it I have no idea. Most likely they will find some other way to survive on other planets, rather than changing the atmosphere.

All I am pretty sure of is that at some stage, humans will try to establish a space settlement of some description, somewhere.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Done a quick research.

Human being's are the biggest threat to any planet.

Folk need to get their act together on Earth before bogging off to other planets.
GB FIRST

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 pm

whip wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:11 pm
Done a quick research.

Human being's are the biggest threat to any planet.

Folk need to get their act together on Earth before bogging off to other planets.
Get real now, whip. :D
Humans already have their act together. This is it.
It's not going to change. We're imperfect, get used to it.

If people waited till they had their act together before they did any exploring out of their own territory, it would never get done till the 8th day. No new countries would ever have been discovered.

Also, it's humans saying that humans are the biggest threat to any planet. How would humans know? How many planets have they personally explored, how do they even know what other threats distant planets may face?

Return to “The Corner Shop”