Are they needed?

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Are they needed?

Post by sherri » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Seeing memor come back & ask about scrappy-it was a bit of a blast from the past.
It made me curious so I scrolled down a list of the various boards on this site.

To put it into perspective, Global was the last one to post on 3 of them, & in one case, the post was made 7 years before his death. The other was made 6 years before he died and even the third was 3 years before.
In a way, it's nice to see his name still there but it does lead me to wonder- is there any need for a board where the last post was made over 10 years ago?

jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Are they needed?

Post by jeff » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:03 pm

As the man with the wooden leg said "......It's a matter of a pinnion!"
There's nothing wrong with being mediocre........as long as you're good at it!

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:12 pm

sherri wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:46 pm
Seeing memor come back & ask about scrappy-it was a bit of a blast from the past.
It made me curious so I scrolled down a list of the various boards on this site.

To put it into perspective, Global was the last one to post on 3 of them, & in one case, the post was made 7 years before his death. The other was made 6 years before he died and even the third was 3 years before.
In a way, it's nice to see his name still there but it does lead me to wonder- is there any need for a board where the last post was made over 10 years ago?
I looked in on one of the Boards about 2 years ago, and found an old school friend that I had not seen for 50 years, had looked up a post I had made some months before and left a message for me. I at once left a reply and also sent and email through the Boards, but sadly they must never have looked back again and so no contact was made. I felt quite gutted :(

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:58 pm

sherri if you are that bored you could knit the grandkids some jumpers
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jeff » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Ralph,I had a similar experience recently.

For a number of years I had been trying to find OH's great grandmother Lucy but she seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth. I put out a request for info on another site, Brit-Gen about four or five years ago without too much success.

Then back in September, I was doing a spasmodic trawl on that site and came across someone also looking for Lucy. Now Lucy had a rather colourful background, having left her husbad and two daughters and gone off with another chap, taking another daughter with her, and then getting married to him bigamously in the next town, albeit across the other side of the Tyne in Tynemouth.

The respondent in question was related to Lucy's first daughter by her second "husband", making her something like a second half cousin a couple of times removed.

However the strangest bit about this is that the cousin emigrated to Australia and has taken up Australian citizenship and lives on the outskirts of Melbourne. Had we known before we went over earlier in the year we might well have met up as on our journey down from bega to Melbourne at Easter we passed not more than ten miles from her house.

So my more realistic response to Sherri's post is perhaps to keep it all going as you never know what is going to turn up!

I must admit I find it quite fascinating to look back and see some of the old topics and how people reacted to various bygone situations, and also to use the site as part of my ongoing family history explorations.
There's nothing wrong with being mediocre........as long as you're good at it!

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:51 pm

sherri wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Perhaps a 3yr statute of limitation should be imposed then give em the arse or knit jumpers.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:14 am

andysfootball wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:58 pm
sherri if you are that bored you could knit the grandkids some jumpers
I didn't say I opened the boards or even looked at any thread titles in them. All I did was look down the list of boards on the board index. Took me all of about 20 seconds. Shorter than it has taken to type this reply. You'd be better off telling everyone not to bother posting at all, not even on this board, if you're worried about 20 seconds.
I don't knit.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:38 am

you once said you did knit in a post about 9 years 3 months ago titled "hobbies"

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:40 am

Find it. Bet I didn't.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:43 am

March 2010 to be exact

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:48 am

Show us a link.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:41 am

You mean there is more than one of you ? god help us.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:43 am

And neither one of us ever said it, max. Andy has got himself confused. :D

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:17 pm

I hope he doesn't start arguing with himself again, confusion is normal most people who fly often are subjected to that nasty radiation.....Can you get Cancer from flying?
Flight Crews Have Higher Cancer Risk. Pilots, Flight Attendants, More Prone to Some Cancers. ... Most found an increased risk of breast and skin cancer among those who make their living in the skies. But what has eluded scientists is the exact cause and effect: Is it the higher altitudes that boost risk?The longer you are on a flight, the more radiation you receive. The higher you are in altitude, the higher the dose of radiation. ... Whether you fly or not, a person's average dose from cosmic radiation is 0.33 mSv (33 mrem) or 11% of our yearly exposure to all natural sources of radiation.The longer you are on a flight, the more radiation you receive. The higher you are in altitude, the higher the dose of radiation. ... Whether you fly or not, a person's average dose from cosmic radiation is 0.33 mSv (33 mrem) or 11% of our yearly exposure to all natural sources of radiation.

So when you see andy with a glowing red nose it is probably not from the grog and he is on a health kick so he is traveling by ship.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:49 pm

full moon tonight?

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:22 pm

andysfootball wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:49 pm
full moon tonight?
No missed out 2nd Jan was last full moon.

Return to “The Corner Shop”