Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

clart04
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

HELP!! wellington pub 1950's

Post by clart04 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:25 am

Hi,
I am trying to find a picture of the Wellington pub , South Shields. There is a bit confusion over its actual name may have been Wellington Arms or Wellington Hotel, it was situated around where the Woodbine estate is now in the 1950's. My parents met there around 1956 my Mam worked there as a barmaid. We lost my dad a couple of years ago and I am trying to find a picture of it to frame with a picture of my Mam and Dad from around that time. I have tried the library and museum and they have searched their records for me, but still no joy. If anyone has any photos or any idea where else I can look it would be much appreciated. My Mam would love it and so would I, Thank you

siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: HELP!! wellington pub 1950's

Post by siam sam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:16 pm

could it be the wolseley arms you are looking for? check out a sanddancer post about it titled the wolseley arms 20-11-2011
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:46 pm

I googled Wolseley arms sth shields and saw that thread, seemed to suggest the name of the hotel clart04 is interested in might have been called Duke of Wellington.
Does your mother recall the name of the street it was in? Maybe it has undergone a name change but one of the locals might be able to help if they know exactly where it was.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:33 am

clart04 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:25 am
Hi,
I am trying to find a picture of the Wellington pub , South Shields. There is a bit confusion over its actual name may have been Wellington Arms or Wellington Hotel, it was situated around where the Woodbine estate is now in the 1950's. My parents met there around 1956 my Mam worked there as a barmaid. We lost my dad a couple of years ago and I am trying to find a picture of it to frame with a picture of my Mam and Dad from around that time. I have tried the library and museum and they have searched their records for me, but still no joy. If anyone has any photos or any idea where else I can look it would be much appreciated. My Mam would love it and so would I, Thank you
There's a man on Facebook, who contributes photos tothe group ' South Shields in old photos' who has:' Les Snaith's Definitive List of South Shields Pubs', this would be a good place to look.

Return to “The Corner Shop”