Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

Post Reply
User avatar
andysfootball
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12011
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:29 pm
Location: HMS Bounty
Contact:

Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Post by andysfootball » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 am

Eventually over the course or time this will have to happen.

It's really two different self interest groups both of them quite right in their opinions.

If politicians from all parties had any foresight and determination it could happen over the next 5 years.

The biggest question really is where the line would be drawn.

For me SEQ would include Rocky and everything south with some sort of line being drawn to the western boundary.

The other contentious point is should SEQ really include the northern rivers area of NSW?

Makes sense in my book and definitely along the same lines as big business runs.
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Post by sherri » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:38 pm

Another state & even more politicians?
This doesn't excite me.

User avatar
niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Re: Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Post by niagraa » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:52 pm

FNQ a state of it's own ? economically unfeasible I reckon, not enough population it would be a drain on federal government funds, and as sherri said "more politicians" we got enough of those bludging animals already, not to mention the first thing they'd want to do is build a billion dollar state government house, bug*er that.

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Post by sherri » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:17 pm

niagraa wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:52 pm
FNQ a state of it's own ? economically unfeasible I reckon, not enough population it would be a drain on federal government funds, and as sherri said "more politicians" we got enough of those bludging animals already, not to mention the first thing they'd want to do is build a billion dollar state government house, bug*er that.
:lol: Ain't that the truth.

I can understand the two regions probably have their own needs but their present reps should be able to sort it out if they do their jobs properly.

Even in Victoria, smaller state though it is, I often feel the politicians mainly look after some areas more than others. They barely acknowledge rural Victoria & even within Melbourne, anything past Warrigul road doesn't get a look in.

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Post by max Headroom » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 pm

sherri obviously has not been here in nth qld, if she has let alone talked to anyone that lives here, most of the mining resources are located here, the royalties are spent in the south east area, we are left with a crap main highway is third world, the government won't agree cause the nth creates the wealth.
Last edited by max Headroom on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arbeit macht frei.

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11932
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Post by gnads » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:28 am

andysfootball wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 am
Eventually over the course or time this will have to happen.

It's really two different self interest groups both of them quite right in their opinions.

If politicians from all parties had any foresight and determination it could happen over the next 5 years.

The biggest question really is where the line would be drawn.

For me SEQ would include Rocky and everything south with some sort of line being drawn to the western boundary.

The other contentious point is should SEQ really include the northern rivers area of NSW?

Makes sense in my book and definitely along the same lines as big business runs.
Not on your bloody Nelly old mate

If this is just you attempt to push the Daylight Savings issue then it's severely flawed to think Rockhampton(Central QLD) and even Wide Bay are interested in being lumbered with the misnomer of being Sth East Qld.

And I can bet you would get a similar response from those living in the Nthn Rivers of NSW.

SEQ can include all the Sunshine Coast and hinterland if you want ..... seeings so many from there down think the sun shines only out of their orifices. A totally selfcentric mob as far as the interests of the state goes.

Include Brisbane and the greater metro area past Ipswich to the bottom of the GD Range and Gold Coast and Hinterland ... and that's all you get.

It's a Sth East Corner and that's it .... a very dependent Sth East Corner ....... on the rest of the state.

Yes I'm very vociferous on this matter as the only reason you would want to include up to Rocky in your dominion is so you don't starve.

The SEQ corner thinks that because they have the population they should control the state ... much like your suggestion for it's expansion infers.

King Andy of SEQ. Planing expansion by being a usurper King. :P
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Post by max Headroom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:03 am

Just love daylight savings only for the southern states, the sharemarket opens an hour early.
Arbeit macht frei.

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Post by sherri » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:56 am

max Headroom wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 pm
sherri obviously has not been here in nth qld, if she has let alone talked to anyone that lives here, most of the mining resources are located here, the royalties are spent in the south east area, we are left with a crap main highway is third world, the government won't agree cause the nth creates the wealth.
I've been in FNQ. Don't doubt what you say but that's a matter for your state govt to work out.
We have a state govt here which also treats some of the regional areas badly.

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Post by max Headroom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:46 am

sherri wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:56 am
max Headroom wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 pm
sherri obviously has not been here in nth qld, if she has let alone talked to anyone that lives here, most of the mining resources are located here, the royalties are spent in the south east area, we are left with a crap main highway is third world, the government won't agree cause the nth creates the wealth.
I've been in FNQ. Don't doubt what you say but that's a matter for your state govt to work out.
We have a state govt here which also treats some of the regional areas badly.
Better let yours sort it out too.
Arbeit macht frei.

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Post by sherri » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:00 pm

yes, that's exactly right. We don't need more politicians, just better politicians.

In all reality though, they will always put money where the bulk of the population is. Greatest need, most votes.

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Post by max Headroom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:32 pm

They mainl feed in funds to their electorate, job security you see.
Arbeit macht frei.

User avatar
Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 5048
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:21 am
Location: Up on the roof

Re: Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Post by Rosie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:23 am

max Headroom wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 pm
sherri obviously has not been here in nth qld, if she has let alone talked to anyone that lives here, most of the mining resources are located here, the royalties are spent in the south east area, we are left with a crap main highway is third world, the government won't agree cause the nth creates the wealth.
I agree, that has to be one of the main reasons it will never happen. As to the roads, Gympie is a couple of hours north of Brisbane and you don't have to go too far north from Gympie to get to the crappy roads. If there is one thing the Australians cannot do it's build decent roads. I think it is deliberate just to keep people in work repairing them.
Life doesn't have an undo button

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11932
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Is it really time to seperate South East Queensland and FNQ?

Post by gnads » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:11 am

Rosie wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:23 am
max Headroom wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:50 pm
sherri obviously has not been here in nth qld, if she has let alone talked to anyone that lives here, most of the mining resources are located here, the royalties are spent in the south east area, we are left with a crap main highway is third world, the government won't agree cause the nth creates the wealth.
I agree, that has to be one of the main reasons it will never happen. As to the roads, Gympie is a couple of hours north of Brisbane and you don't have to go too far north from Gympie to get to the crappy roads. If there is one thing the Australians cannot do it's build decent roads. I think it is deliberate just to keep people in work repairing them.
I reckon that's right Rosie

but also a big factor is the amount of heavy road transport we have ...... much of which should be on rail.

They spend millions doing up a 3 or 4 klm stretch of road ...... within 6 to 9 months the trucks have broken through the surface and they're back repairing it.

The quality control must be weak as water ..... with the amount of tax payer dollars being spent the companies contracted should be made to repair them at their expense.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

Post Reply

Return to “The Corner Shop”