Cicada Madness

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Cicada Madness

Post by gnads » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:22 pm

Up on Facing Island at the moment for my yearly sojourn. Got a week left til home time.

On Tuesday evening we had a good thunderstorm - 29 ml of rain which filled the tanks up nicely.

Well when the rain had cleared they started coming out in the hundreds..... woke up Wednesday to the cacophony of this multitude of Cicada singing for a mate.

It's day 4 and there's no sign of them letting up and the wind has been blowing just as hard.

The constant drone has gone from a wonder of nature to a head doing in..the missus has had enough too ..of cicadas that is. :P

I'm sitting on the verandah now watching an army of them fly into a gum tree just in front of the house... don't want carolling at the front door there's still 40 odd days to Christmas and these baztards only know one tune.

Thank gawd we have plenty of alcohol.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Cicada Madness

Post by niagraa » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:03 pm

oh whinge whinge bloody whinge, ya poor bug*er, your in qld mate, gods own country, and if god says his cicades can sing, they bloody well can mate, ya cant live in gods country and then complain about the locals mate, I mean, depending on which testament ya read, it's just not bloody kosher mate.

and if ya wanna get biblical about it, john the Baptist ate locusts and honey..

so if ya want revenge, cicadas ain't that much different to locusts, so get busy and get chewin' but in the meantime, have a good holiday mate :)

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:09 pm

I won't be eating Cicada fricassee .. when I have fridges full of good tucker.

These bastardised can live in the ground for 17 years and all it took was one storm to bring em out in the thousands...

And they live 5 to 6 weeks once they get above ground. Lucky I'm only here for another week.

Oh and the crabs I've caught really love coral trout as bait. :P

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by niagraa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:01 am

gnads wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:09 pm

These bastardised can live in the ground for 17 years and all it took was one storm to bring em out in the thousands...

And they live 5 to 6 weeks once they get above ground. Lucky I'm only here for another week.

man, if I had crabs that big I wouldn't be bragging about it..

have you tried queledda ?

a kerosene bath gets rid of them as well, just don't smoke when ya do it :)

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:51 am

have a good time up there
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:40 am

Enjoy the rest of your holiday Gnads, I'll send you some ear muffs to keep out the pesky noise. :D
Life doesn't have an undo button

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:27 pm

niagraa wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:01 am
gnads wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:09 pm

man, if I had crabs that big I wouldn't be bragging about it..

have you tried queledda ?

a kerosene bath gets rid of them as well, just don't smoke when ya do it :)
I knew you'd go that line when I mentioned crabs :lol:

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:08 pm

Hope you're enjoying the break.
I'm surprised you use coral trout as bait. Isn't it supposed to be a top rated food fish itself?

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:40 pm

Hello Gnads,

Use 1-2 oz of Bifen per 5000sq/ft of foliage and that will solve your problem.

Failing that listen to your favourite music through your headphones on your ipad or in your case cassette player!!

Caught much?

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:14 am

As a lad, it seemed that no war movie involving the Far East, was complete without a night scene where the dominant sound was a background of Cicadas chirping away in their countless thousands. The first time I came across them in real life was in Brisbane about 53 years ago. It was my first visit to Australia and going ashore in the evening for the first time, all I could hear was the Cicadas sounding like one of those old movie sound-tracks. I remember tracking one down to a crack in a wall to see what they looked like.

As Gnads mentioned Facing Island, a place I had never heard of, I looked it up on a map and found it to be not a great distance from another early port of call I had made about this time: Port Alma, which sticks in my mind for seeing those cute goggle-eyed Mud Skipper fish on the shore and very aggressive mosquitos. That night we took a taxi into Rockhampton for a few beers and we were tickled to see a train, complete with cow-catcher mounted on the front and bell ringing, moving down one of the streets - just like in the Western movies. The night ended with a ruck between some of our crew and some black drunken Thursday Islanders in a 'chippie' which ended with blows being struck, blood drawn and I still bear a scar from the encounter - just like in the movies. :lol:

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:19 am

Well Done Ralph.

The original Rocky in Rocky!

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:20 pm

sherri wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:08 pm
Hope you're enjoying the break.
I'm surprised you use coral trout as bait. Isn't it supposed to be a top rated food fish itself?
Sherri there was something wrong with this fish... I noticed it in waist deep water upside down with small pectoral fins flapping..., didn't know what it was until I waded closer and used the hook on my line to move it....when I went to pick it up it came to life and went to the bottom.. only to then belly up and float back to surface ... it did this every time I touched it or it could see my hand come close.

I ended up catching it in an onion bag I had for surf worming. Because of the problem it had with what seemed like it's swim bladder we weren't game to eat it.... so it became crabpot bait.

Mind you had I actually caught it on a line it's head and backbone would still have ended up in the crab pot.

There a a few commercial Trout boats here and they have to sort for specific size and they have to be in top condition.... anything not up to the standard has to go back in the water..... so it could have come off one of those as they sort all the way back to port. They even throw them back in the water when dock and offloading in the boat harbour in Auckland creek.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 pm

andysfootball wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:40 pm
Hello Gnads,

Use 1-2 oz of Bifen per 5000sq/ft of foliage and that will solve your problem.

Failing that listen to your favourite music through your headphones on your ipad or in your case cassette player!!

Caught much?
Cruel Andy.

I don't have a cassette any longer ..... me tech savvy bruvva.

No haven't caught much except for bait for crab pots.... have kept mother in crab up until yesterday.

3rd year in a row I had my pots lifted and shifted by some arzehole.

Been blowin here for over a week now...but it beats being at work.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:30 pm

Ah, I wouldn't have wanted to eat it then either, just in case.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:39 pm

ralph wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:14 am
As a lad, it seemed that no war movie involving the Far East, was complete without a night scene where the dominant sound was a background of Cicadas chirping away in their countless thousands. The first time I came across them in real life was in Brisbane about 53 years ago. It was my first visit to Australia and going ashore in the evening for the first time, all I could hear was the Cicadas sounding like one of those old movie sound-tracks. I remember tracking one down to a crack in a wall to see what they looked like.

As Gnads mentioned Facing Island, a place I had never heard of, I looked it up on a map and found it to be not a great distance from another early port of call I had made about this time: Port Alma, which sticks in my mind for seeing those cute goggle-eyed Mud Skipper fish on the shore and very aggressive mosquitos. That night we took a taxi into Rockhampton for a few beers and we were tickled to see a train, complete with cow-catcher mounted on the front and bell ringing, moving down one of the streets - just like in the Western movies. The night ended with a ruck between some of our crew and some black drunken Thursday Islanders in a 'chippie' which ended with blows being struck, blood drawn and I still bear a scar from the encounter - just like in the movies. :lol:
Ralph ... Port Alma I'm guessing in 1964? There's nothing much more than the wharf there now either. What a dump. Gladstone would have been a nicer port of call but I reckon you would still have got a fight here as well.

It was a pretty rough town back then as well.

I work into Rocky from the south and for a city it's size I still think it's an awful place.... the area where I stay is called Depot Hill ... one of the oldest areas ... it's a dump.

I spent 8 weeks there in 1982 doing my Guards exams and 8 weeks in 1996 doing my Drivers exams and could still get in a fight at a pub without much trouble.

I had to do some serious talking to get myself out of a flogging one afternoon.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:49 am

gnads wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:39 pm
ralph wrote:

Ralph ... Port Alma I'm guessing in 1964? There's nothing much more than the wharf there now either. What a dump. Gladstone would have been a nicer port of call but I reckon you would still have got a fight here as well.

I work into Rocky from the south and for a city it's size I still think it's an awful place.... the area where I stay is called Depot Hill ... one of the oldest areas ... it's a dump.

I spent 8 weeks there in 1982 doing my Guards exams and 8 weeks in 1996 doing my Drivers exams and could still get in a fight at a pub without much trouble.

Gnads, your experience then seems to have been similar to my own! We were lucky to get out of Rockhampton without more damage. We managed to get into a taxi with the Thursday Islanders still pounding into us. They managed to rip a wing mirror off the taxi before we high-tailed it out of town - we were well outnumbered. We compensated the driver for his heroic recue and damage to his vehicle. I arrived back at the ship sporting a split-lip and covered in bloodstains, but feted by the deckhands for having helped recue them. :D It was the only trouble I was personally involved in in Australia, but on our frequent visits to Sydney, there was a famous place frequented by seamen: Montgomery's Hotel. Pyrmont, which was world famous for the many punch-ups that took place on an almost nightly basis. I did pay a visit just to say I had been there and found bar staff sweeping-up glass from a broken window and mopping up (it was said) blood from the floor. I remember on one occasion, we were due to sail for Brisbane, (our final port that trip) at 2200 hrs. Tugs were alongside ready to send us on our way, the 12 passengers we were taking to the USA were on board and lining the rails to see the sights of leaving the magnificent harbour at night. All that was stopping us was that quite a lot of the crew were still at Montgomery's and clearly had no intention of leaving until they had been 'thrown out'.

They arrived back at about 2230, rat-assed drunk, refused to come back on board and stood on the quayside, hurling insults at the Captain, who was mortified by the performance in front of passengers. They managed to get a forklift truck started which shot backwards and knocked off a warehouse door. To cut a long story short, we eventually sailed with several of the crew in police custody. The least serious of the offenders were flown at their own expense, to join us in Brisbane, while the more serious miscreants eventually went to gaol. Quite the worst experience I ever saw at sea. The Captain, now in his 90's still lives in Sydney, sadly now suffering from dementia and hopefully unable to remember the awful details of that night. :shock:

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:22 pm

Good grief, it almost sounds like another country. I've never heard of or seen places quite as rough as that, Ralph (not even in Dandenong, Andy. :D )
Glad you escaped with your life, Ralph!

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 am

sherri wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:22 pm
Good grief, it almost sounds like another country. I've never heard of or seen places quite as rough as that, Ralph (not even in Dandenong, Andy. :D )
Glad you escaped with your life, Ralph!
Thank you Sherri, it was tough in them tha days... :-)

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:47 am

gnads wrote:
ralph wrote:

Re port Alma is waste of pant on the sign post, nothing there and probably nothing will ever be there....
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:33 am

max Headroom wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:47 am
gnads wrote:
ralph wrote:

Re port Alma is waste of pant on the sign post, nothing there and probably nothing will ever be there....
I suppose Max that being at the mouth of the river, it is easier for the ships to berth there and convenient to transport the cargos there by rail. As far as we were concerned it did not always work in our favour. We were there loading frozen lamb. The weather was very hot and though the rail trucks were insulated, the time taken to start loading the lamb meant that in some cases the temperature of the meat had risen to the point where there was some slight softening of meat on the undersides. This caused a conflict of interests: The shippers and the ships Chief Officer wanted as fast as turnaround as possible, but If I agreed to the loading and the lower carcases then started to collapse under the weight of those above, at best they would be rejected by the meat inspectors in the US and worst, they could crush close against the vents circulating the refrigerated air and put all of the meat stowed in that lower hold at risk. The Chief Officer, anxious to get away on time applied less than subtle pressure on me to 'bend the rules'. I agreed to do it if he would endorse and sign the acceptance certificate absolving me from responsibility. He backed off immediately. :D

During my off-duty time, I wandered down onto the swampy mud to look at the mud-skippers, and in the back of my mind, I was uneasily wondering whether any salt water crocodiles came that far south. I don't know whether they did at that time (1960's), but checking up now, I see that a number of them have been spotted in the river. :shock:

Return to “The Corner Shop”