Cicada Madness

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Cicada Madness

Post by gnads » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:26 pm

Ralph that area is definitely croc country but they were not a protected species until 1974.

They were usually shot on sight so there would have been a few less there in 1964 than there are now.

They are back in numbers now all the way down the east coast down as far as where I am on the Mary River and the Great Sandy Straits
and Fraser Island near Hervey Bay and Maryborough.

So you should have been wary of them down at Port Alma.

Won't be long and Andy will have them in his canals at Pelican Waters on the Sunshine Coast. :P

Max is right about the place though there's nothing there ........ except the wharf and I believe small ships do come in there to load salt from the Bajool SALT works.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:42 am

I made the mistake of visiting that place about 40 odd years ago and regretted it, since then whenever I drive past it I remember, waste of fuel and time visiting, sounds like your ship might have been unable to get a berth.
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:49 am

gnads wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:26 pm
Ralph that area is definitely croc country but they were not a protected species until 1974.

They were usually shot on sight so there would have been a few less there in 1964 than there are now.

They are back in numbers now all the way down the east coast down as far as where I am on the Mary River and the Great Sandy Straits

Won't be long and Andy will have them in his canals at Pelican Waters on the Sunshine Coast. :P

Max is right about the place though there's nothing there ........ except the wharf and I believe small ships do come in there to load salt from the Bajool SALT works.
Gnads, you are quite right in what you say because those 'salties' are fearsome predators. I remember when in Australia reading of one that had been killed and was found to have the skulls of three Aboriginal children in its stomach. Also that in short bursts, they can move on land with incredible speed. :shock:

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:00 am

gnads wrote:

better set up the garage to make locally sourced handbags and belts
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:46 am

Its is a great idea not shooting them, they would come in handy if one day we were invaded.
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by niagraa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:06 am

max Headroom wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:46 am
Its is a great idea not shooting them, they would come in handy if one day we were invaded.
knew a south African croc catcher in Darwin in the late 70's, knew a couple actually, but this guy was legit, worked for the n.t. government..

he told me one day that the local barbarians in south africa grabbed a heap of white people, marched them down to the local sawmill, cut of their arms and legs and fed them to the crocs, I dare say if they were cut up quickly and were thrown in immediately after having all limbs removed, some may have still been alive and perhaps even aware, needless to say, the south African guy didn't like the "blicks".

siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 pm

andysfootball wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:00 am
gnads wrote:

better set up the garage to make locally sourced handbags and belts
how about jimmy nails crocodile shoes 8)
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by niagraa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:28 am

siam sam wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 pm

how about jimmy nails crocodile shoes 8)
every time I hear that name jimmy nail I think of the movie "morons from outer space" a smith and jones movie, brilliant comedy :)

Return to “The Corner Shop”