Moderator: andysfootball

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Ralph - Tell us About King Edward VIII

Post by niagraa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:54 am

sherri wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:14 am
I was reading that Phillip has retired to some house or other. Not Buck palace anyway. So the queen doesn't get to see him every day any more.

Phillip is about 96 so deserves private time now. I think the queen has a sense of duty, which keeps her keeping on. She is looking in good nick for her age actually so I wouldn't be surprised if she lives a few more years.
I wouldn't wish the position on anyone though to tell the truth. I know they live a life of ease-never have to cook or clean-nannies at beck & call, if they feel ill, no waiting for doctors or ops for them etc etc, but who would want to be constantly photographed with media commenting about every outfit, every facial expression, or having to attend function after function listening to speeches. There's a downside to that job, for sure. I think Harry would be better off not to be king. He'll have just about all the perks but not the same number of pressures.

Plus William & Kate are fairly popular & they'll have 3 kids to pass it all on to.
nup, willie can kiss kate and p*ss off..

I reckon harry would turn buck house into a disco, and bloody good luck to him.. :)

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:11 pm

sherri wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:14 am
I was reading that Phillip has retired to some house or other. Not Buck palace anyway. So the queen doesn't get to see him every day any more.

Phillip is about 96 so deserves private time now. I think the queen has a sense of duty, which keeps her keeping on. She is looking in good nick for her age actually so I wouldn't be surprised if she lives a few more years.
I wouldn't wish the position on anyone though to tell the truth. I know they live a life of ease-never have to cook or clean-nannies at beck & call, if they feel ill, no waiting for doctors or ops for them etc etc, but who would want to be constantly photographed with media commenting about every outfit, every facial expression, or having to attend function after function listening to speeches. There's a downside to that job, for sure. I think Harry would be better off not to be king. He'll have just about all the perks but not the same number of pressures.

Plus William & Kate are fairly popular & they'll have 3 kids to pass it all on to.
Buckingham Palace has always just been regarded as 'the office' by The Queen. She has never considered it as 'home' and lives there only when necessary for her to carry out her London public duties (seldom for more than four days a week for only part of the year). As for Harry becoming King? He's a long way down the line now so it is never going to happen and I'm sure he's very happy about that.

As to Daddy O's earlier question as to how you get rid of a royal? Our Monarchy is a Constitutional Monarchy and if ever the feeling in the country was so strongly against it that it threatened national stability, Parliament, probably using a referendum to give its decision legitimacy, which if the vote went in favour, would request the abdication of the monarch and abolish the system. It really is a simple as that.

Fortunately, just as we Brits disapproving of an American President doesn't threaten anyone holding that office, Daddy O's opinion of The Monarchy, even when coupled with that of the odd crustacean muncher in Cornwall doesn't present any immediate threat to The Queen. Long may she reign and God bless her. :D

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:54 pm

I'd be pretty sure Harry is fairly relieved he won't have the top job.
Even for William, it shouldn't be any time soon. Logic tells us that there are hard times coming relatively soon for the family, as Prince Phillip & the queen are getting quite old. Never easy when parents/grandparents pass away. But Charles will then take over and there is no reason he shouldn't live another 20 years, given the genes he has probably inherited.

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:02 am

20 years oh dear he,s the same age as me trouble is I don't own any jeans !
I voted leave

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Well it could be 30 years or more Pilot, so don't worry. I was only guessing. :D

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:39 pm

The royals are out dated.

Get rid A.S.A.P.

Mr Guy Fawkes picked the wrong place to try and blow up.
GB FIRST

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:12 pm

30 years omg I'll bankrupt my pension fund !
I voted leave

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Pilot wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:12 pm
30 years omg I'll bankrupt my pension fund !
Don't try to mislead us now pilot. [-X We all know very well you're right till you're at least 200. :D

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:58 am

whip wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Get rid A.S.A.P.

How so? The King (James I) was going to be in the Parliament along with family members and his Court. He just wasn't up to the job and he and his co-conspirators paid a terrible price for his actions and ensured that Roman Catholics, already in trouble, were kept out of public office until the 19th century.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:36 am

ralph wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:58 am
whip wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:39 pm

Get rid A.S.A.P.

How so? The King (James I) was going to be in the Parliament along with family members and his Court. He just wasn't up to the job and he and his co-conspirators paid a terrible price for his actions and ensured that Roman Catholics, already in trouble, were kept out of public office until the 19th century.
It is irrelevant where they was intended.

Mr Guy Fawkes should have tried to get rid of those royals at a more convenient time/place.

Silly bug*er, now we are left with the dopy lot.
GB FIRST

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by niagraa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:45 am

whip wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:36 am

It is irrelevant where they was intended.

Mr Guy Fawkes should have tried to get rid of those royals at a more convenient time/place.

Silly bug*er, now we are left with the dopy lot.
watch king ralph.

Return to “The Corner Shop”