sherri, save money on christmas drinks.

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

sherri, save money on christmas drinks.

Post by niagraa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:23 am

you could use a Christmas stocking to pour it through :)

and speaking of drinks, except for 6 cans of beer yesterday, I haven't had any alchohol for a week and a half, got 3 fermenters ready to distill, i'll be drinking ouzo tonight, or in a couple of hours time, and bourbon in 5 to 10 days time :)

theoretically, I should never run out, but i'm lazy, only filled my fermenters 10 days ago when I should have done it 4 weeks ago :)

andysfootball

Re: sherri, save money on christmas drinks.

Post by andysfootball » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:16 am

you should be lazy more often rocky

you'll get a better nights sleep

and be bright eyed and bushy tailed in the mornings
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by niagraa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:54 am

andysfootball wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:16 am
you should be lazy more often rocky

you'll get a better nights sleep

and be bright eyed and bushy tailed in the mornings
been doing that the last week or so, much better than a good days sleep and bright eyed and bushy tailed all night :)

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:46 am

I think I am with that woman near the end, where she says 'NO, Oh No," it doesn't look good, niagraa.
I don't drink much but I think I'll stick to buying any I need.

Probably the biggest movers here on Xmas day are the punch (alcohol free) and our cappuccinos, made in a coffee pod machine. :D

You might like this ad on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REFLUX-ALCO ... Swy5ZXBZHn

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by niagraa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:44 am

sherri wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:46 am
I think I am with that woman near the end, where she says 'NO, Oh No," it doesn't look good, niagraa.
I don't drink much but I think I'll stick to buying any I need.

Probably the biggest movers here on Xmas day are the punch (alcohol free) and our cappuccinos, made in a coffee pod machine. :D

You might like this ad on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REFLUX-ALCO ... Swy5ZXBZHn
yep, it looked pretty bad eh, even joe spewed up, and he made it..

that stuff only comes out at about 10 percent, same as the sugar washes I make, (distills out at 92 to 94%) but the stuff they poured out still had all the dead yeast in it, that stuff isn't going to do your taste buds any favours, and he should have used a sock anyway, even a dirty sock might have made it taste better..

saw a video a few years back about champagne, its fermented in the bottle, (I think it was champagne) but what they do is, after fermentation, they stand the bottles upside down in a rack for a day or two maybe more, all the dead yeast and sediment falls down to the top of the bottle, then they flash freeze it in some kind of liquid concoction, hold the bottle upright, open it, and the expanding icy champagne pushes out all the sediment and dead yeast, they then put a new cork into the bottle and its ready to go, its brilliant when you think about it.

maybe that's what you can do with the prison brew at Christmas :)

as for coffee, bought a MAP coffee machine from Harvey normans about 4 or 5 years ago, cost 50 bucks on special, still works, but i'm too lazy to use it, i do get it out now and then, but hate the cleanup etc..

don't drink coffee often, but sometimes I just buy the nescafe caramel latte/mocha/cappucino satchels, but only when they're half price :)

damn... a latte drinker ? doesn't that have some kind of yuppie stigma to it ?

actually, the best coffee I ever had, I was working on the Darwin council in 1975, and this old Turkish lady bought out some coffee for the whole crew I was working with, I remember thinking, tight old b***h, serving us coffee in half size tea cups instead of coffee mugs.

but bloody hell, this stuff was thick like syrup, more than half a tea cup would have been too much, and it was beautiful..
Last edited by niagraa on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by niagraa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:55 am

as for this...

that kind of still is useless, I know a guy who made his own similar to this, and his product only came out at about 80%, plus, you need a heating source, most commonly gas is used for beer kegs, and you don't want a fire around if you get a spillage of high percentage alchohol, because then you might just burn your house or shed down..

my setup is an electric "boiler" (different to the type of "boiler" that max referred to you as :) )

but I must digress, I did decide to cough up and buy that still, but then I left strict instructions not to send me the still, just send me the bikini girl..

she'll be here next Monday :)

turns out the postage is 20 cents cheaper if the bikini doesn't come with her, and i'm all for saving money :)
Last edited by niagraa on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by niagraa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:08 pm

damn, I got an extra 450 mil of neutral spirit at around 92.2% at 20 degrees Celsius, that'll make me an extra 1.037 milliliters at 39/40% on what I usually get.

I usually get 2.3 litres of distilled spirit per fermenter giving me 5.437 litres at 39/40%, this time I got 2.75 litres, don't know why but i'm not complaining, it'll make 6.5 litres at 39/40%..

bit lazy today, only did one distilling, do 2 tomorrow :)

had about 400 mill of ouzo already, (started late) beautiful :)

just wanna share, this neutral spirit comes out warm from the still, so when I work out what I have, IE: amount, temperature and percentage, I use a temperature calculator..

IE: I grabbed 850 mill of spirit before the distilling finished, it was 94% at 28 degrees..

true percentage is based on 20 degrees Celsius, so it turns out that 94% at 28 degrees Celsius is actually 92.2%.

so then I use a dilution calculator, that takes in the amount IE: 850 mil of percentage IE: 92.2..

it told me that to dilute it to 40%, i needed to add 1.109 litres of water which was just under 2 litres all up.

at the time I needed 2 litres, so I made the calculator at 39% which told me to add 1.159 litres..

1.159 litres plus 850 mil = 2.009 millilitres, made one litre of ouzo, and one litre of bourbon using a bourbon essence I didn't realize I still had..

still got 1.9 litres of neutral to water down yet,

Return to “The Corner Shop”