Hurricane in the Gulf

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

User avatar
Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 5124
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Contact:

Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by Daddy O » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Hurricane Harvey turned out to be tougher than I thought he would be.......even with his wimpy name. He initially scooted south of Cuba into the gulf as a wimpy Tropical Storm, but as soon as he hit the warm waters of the Gulf, he grew and grew and grew into a category 4 hurricane (5 is the largest and Katrina was a 3).

There are 9 million people in Harvey's path. The 130 mph wind storm has subsided and now the flooding will be the worst tragedy in Texas since Hurricane Carla in 1961. The storm surge may reach 12 feet (4 meters) in height. Storm surge is the level the ocean will rise to due to the wind and rain. Twelve feet will bring deep flooding some 50 to 75 miles inland (coastal area is rather flat in Texas).

There are now 1/2 a million people without electricity and will be for 3-6 weeks. Houston is a ghost town with most people flooding (no pun intended) into San Antonio, Austin and any place else they can find refuge.

One of the bigger problems is that 40% (9 refineries) of the oil refineries in the USA are in the path of Harvey and have been shut down. This means higher gasoline prices not only in the USA, but Canada and Mexico as well.

My granddaughters are in Austin, and they tell me there is severe flooding throughout the City on major highways and streets. But, they are happy as they mesmerize there will be no school for a week or ten days. I told them they would have to make it up in the summer and they poo-pood me off of the phone to talk to a more sympathetic voice - Grandma. The little s*its.

No hurricane activity in Florida, but we are getting some very heavy rains. When a hurricane is in the gulf it creates a low pressure system and the east coast of Florida (high pressure) in the cold waters of the Atlantic blow across Florida and take a lot of water with it........hence, torrential rain at times. I have had to drain about 6 inches of water out of my pool each day to prevent it from overtopping and flooding my neighbor. I have drained about 1.5 feet in the last three days, which is a lot of water..........at least to a boy that grew up in the west Texas desert of El Paso where we were lucky to get 3 inches of rain per year..

But it could be worse. Rockport (close-by girlhood home of Janis Joplin) has been leveled. I always liked her song "Me and Bobby McGee".

Anyhow, and to make a long story more boring ........here is what's happening in Texas:

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-harvey

User avatar
andysfootball
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11871
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:29 pm
Location: HMS Bounty
Contact:

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by andysfootball » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:43 pm

hope everyone stays safe and the authorities are good in the aftermath
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25010
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by sherri » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Lucky you're not in Texas any more!
Hope they are able to get the electricity on for people a lot quicker than 3-6 weeks, that would be brutal for those who can't move out of the area.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3904
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by ralph » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:59 am

It is always heart-breaking to see the results of hurricanes and tornadoes. So many people's lives devastated, it would be hard to know where to begin in trying to get your life back together again. :(
Last edited by ralph on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4404
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by whip » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:46 am

ONLY IN TEXAS CAN YOU HAVE A BURN BAN, A DROUGHT,AN ECLIPSE,AN EARTHQUAKE TORNADOS & A HURRICANE ALL IN THE SAME WEEK.

NOT FORGETTING FLOODS AS WELL.

WHEN AMERICA DO IT THEY DO IT BIG TIME.
GB FIRST

User avatar
Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 5124
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Contact:

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by Daddy O » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:47 pm

lol > Whip

Rained like a MOFO here last night.....close to a foot. Pool overflowed and my neighbor (a 78 year old woman who seldom waters her yard) complained about all of "my" water coming from "my" pool and crossing her property (no damage to her property).

She is a Presbyterian Bible thumper on her way to church when she cornered me. I told her when she was in church, she should put an extra 5 dollars on the prayer rail and ask "God" why he made it rain so hard. I then most likely crossed the line when I also said "Look on the bright side Darlin' (not necessarily a word of endearment) maybe, just maybe your grass will turn green".

Much to my chagrin.........she was not amused as much as me.

WTF........you gotta play with the cards you are dealt with.

BTW - Two feet of water dumped in downtown Houston last night. With a very flat area to work with in the most populace city in Texas and the third most populace in the nation........................it ain't good. But, I was impressed to see a lot of people in Austin and San Antonio get on Facebook and offer rooms in their homes for refuge to people they have never seen nor known of before. Class act of kindness.

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by max Headroom » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Hong Kong and Macau are getting a cyclone, must be having these storms everywhere.
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25010
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by sherri » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 am

I think natural disasters can bring out either the best or the worst in people.
Are these sorts of rainfalls something Houston experiences on a fairly regular basis? (As in maybe once every 10 years or so) Or are they unprecedented?
I ask because I have noticed over here there is a tendency for some councils to allow building in what I would have thought is potentially flood prone land.
And we have a road near here, called Heatherton Rd, part of it goes over a small creek but every so often after extremely heavy rain, part of it near the creek floods and city direction traffic has to take a (very long) detour. So long that if you didn't know the area, you could get lost I think.
The council built up one side of the road years back & that's always fine but I can't figure out why they didn't build up the other side as well while they were at it.
Could Houston council do more in the future to protect people against the flooding?

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by max Headroom » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:24 am

sherri wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:08 am
I think natural disasters can bring out either the best or the worst in people.
Are these sorts of rainfalls something Houston experiences on a fairly regular basis? (As in maybe once every 10 years or so) Or are they unprecedented?
I ask because I have noticed over here there is a tendency for some councils to allow building in what I would have thought is potentially flood prone land.
And we have a road near here, called Heatherton Rd, part of it goes over a small creek but every so often after extremely heavy rain, part of it near the creek floods and city direction traffic has to take a (very long) detour. So long that if you didn't know the area, you could get lost I think.
The council built up one side of the road years back & that's always fine but I can't figure out why they didn't build up the other side as well while they were at it.
Could Houston council do more in the future to protect people against the flooding?
Perhaps they should dredge out Dandenong creek or the melbourne water recreation area?
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25010
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by sherri » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:53 am

I don't know what they should do exactly but dredging part of it near the road might help or else raising the small section of road that always floods.

PS :D Impressed you knew it was called the Melbourne water recreation area. I had no idea it was called that-just thought of it as the wetlands or flood plain.

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by max Headroom » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:07 am

Some times I even amaze myself.
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25010
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by sherri » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:11 am

Google is your friend. :wink:

User avatar
Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 5124
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Contact:

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by Daddy O » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Sherri - The students in Texas MUST complete a certain number of days in school each year. Thus, we have "makeup" days at the end of the school year if schools are closed for ice storms, snow, flooding, tornadoes, etc.

We also have summer school, which is separate from makeup days. Summer schools is for students who failed a complete year in any subject.

I always threaten my granddaughters if they don't bring home an "A" average, I will send them to summer school. I don't know if it works or not, but so far, they bring home "A" averages in all their subjects.

In Texas - 40 some odd inches of rain has taken over northwest San Antonio and parts west of Austin. Another 50 inches could develop in the next few days. This is the worst disaster in the recordable history of the US........a storm the size of a 500 year flood. Much worse than Katrina.

The storm has stalled and is now predicted to back up, re-enter the Gulf, build momentum again and re-enter the USA by veering to the west into Louisiana. In short.....Harvey ain't dead yet. No services at all (electricity, water, wastewater, garbage, Internet) in Coastal areas.

Houston is shut down. They have a GDP of 503 Billion. This event no longer just affects Texas, or the USA, but the world as well. Expect to see gasoline prices rise, as well as many other costs. If Harvey makes it into Louisiana, the LPG plants (located on the Sabine River) will shut down. These plants provide a good amount of energy to China and other nations in Southeast Asia.

And what is our illustrious President doing? Read this:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... arvey.html
Last edited by Daddy O on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 5124
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Contact:

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by Daddy O » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:11 pm

sherri wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:53 am
I don't know what they should do exactly but dredging part of it near the road might help or else raising the small section of road that always floods.

PS :D Impressed you knew it was called the Melbourne water recreation area. I had no idea it was called that-just thought of it as the wetlands or flood plain.
Raise the road..........bridge it if you have to. Dredging does not give you much relief from flooding, and the costs are astronomical.

User avatar
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 17081
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Saudi Shields
Contact:

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by Pilot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Houston we have a problem......
I voted leave

Image

User avatar
Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 5124
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Contact:

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by Daddy O » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:40 pm

LOL > Pilot

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3904
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by ralph » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:53 pm

A week or so ago, we were concerned about the damage we humans might do to each other with weapons. We are now reminded of how puny even our most destructive weapons are when nature decides to throw her dolly out of the pram. :shock:

User avatar
Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 5124
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
Contact:

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by Daddy O » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:19 pm

True Ralph. I was reading an article that the FEMA reserve was 3 Billion dollars and the folks in Houston are saying "It's not enough".

Could be true....."W" spent a trillion dollars trying to take out two men. He got one, but Obama got the other for much less. What a waste all the way around.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3904
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by ralph » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:16 pm

Daddy O wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:19 pm
True Ralph. I was reading an article that the FEMA reserve was 3 Billion dollars and the folks in Houston are saying "It's not enough".

Could be true....."W" spent a trillion dollars trying to take out two men. He got one, but Obama got the other for much less. What a waste all the way around.
Daddy O, having earlier mentioned the tension over Korea, I have just heard that Japan has said North Korea has fired a missile that flew over North Japan, breaking up and falling into the sea about 600 miles from one of their Islands. They just cannot resist keeping up the pressure. I suppose this is in response to the joint exercises being carried out in the South... And to try and prove that because the last three launches failed, they still have the power to upset the apple-cart.

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Hurricane in the Gulf

Post by max Headroom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:04 am

ralph wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:16 pm
Daddy O wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:19 pm
True Ralph. I was reading an article that the FEMA reserve was 3 Billion dollars and the folks in Houston are saying "It's not enough".

Could be true....."W" spent a trillion dollars trying to take out two men. He got one, but Obama got the other for much less. What a waste all the way around.
Daddy O, having earlier mentioned the tension over Korea, I have just heard that Japan has said North Korea has fired a missile that flew over North Japan, breaking up and falling into the sea about 600 miles from one of their Islands. They just cannot resist keeping up the pressure. I suppose this is in response to the joint exercises being carried out in the South... And to try and prove that because the last three launches failed, they still have the power to upset the apple-cart.

They is trying to provoke a war, get us to fire first, best to sit back.
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

Post Reply

Return to “The Corner Shop”