Give your dogs cuddle for me daggyho

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Give your dogs cuddle for me daggyho

Post by max Headroom » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:38 am

An outbreak of plague has killed two colonies of prairie dogs at the Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge, prompting staff to close some areas to visitors out of caution as the disease poses the potential to impact pets, and less likely, people.

Jude Smith, project leader for the refuge, said Paul’s Lake — a popular sight for visitors at the refuge — and access roads to the lake are temporarily closed to the public.

The refuge was home to four prairie dog colonies, he said.

The disease wiped out almost 100 percent of two colonies, he said. The refuge, the Texas Department of State Health Services and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are closely monitoring the two remaining colonies.

The closed areas will remain off-limits for at least three more weeks, Smith said. If any more tests come back positive, it could be longer.

He hopes the outbreak will pass in time for the arrival of the sandhill cranes, the refuge’s most popular attraction.

James Alexander, zoonosis control veterinarian with the Texas Department of State Health Services Zoonosis Control for Region 1, said plague is caused by a bacterium called Yersinia pestis that resides in the environment.

Outbreaks of the disease happen about every three to four years in Texas, he said.

It’s passed by fleas and rodents — primarily prairie dogs — which are a sentinel species for plague because they’re so sensitive to it, he said.

“We don’t know where it stays when it’s not in prairie dogs,” he said.

It’s unclear how the prairie dog colonies at the refuge became exposed, Alexander said.

He and Smith both suspect it could have been carried in by a predator, like a coyote.

Smith first noticed the prairie dogs dying about three weeks ago. He immediately closed down the affected areas.

He called Alexander in to assess and helped him gather samples for testing, Smith said. Results came back positive but Smith wasn’t surprised.

“Experience told us it was probably the plague,” he said.

Animals at the refuge, particularly the prairie dogs, have been affected by the plague before, most recently in 2008, Smith said.

“They’re not gone forever,” he said. “They’re gone now.”

It took about a year for the prairie dog colony affected to repopulate last time, Smith said.

But it’s not just a threat to prairie dogs, Alexander said. The disease can also be passed on to household pets by fleas, particularly if the pet often wanders through a prairie dog town.

“They should have high-quality flea control of some kind — collars, spot-ons,” Alexander said. “See your veterinarian about a good, quality flea control if they do like to investigate prairie dog towns.”

Alexander said pets that have been exposed generally exhibit signs of lethargy, fever, refusal to eat and other symptoms.

“Don’t let the animal sneeze on your face,” he said.

The disease can be passed just as easily to humans, though it’s rare, according to Chris Van Deusen, director of media relations for TDHSH.

“The last human case in a Texas resident was in 2006,” he wrote in an email to A-J Media.

The closest cases to Texas have been reported in New Mexico. So far this year, there have been three human cases reported in Santa Fe County, New Mexico, according to a news release from the New Mexico Department of State Health.

While human cases are not expected in Texas, Deusen and Alexander both urge to use caution when camping or hunting in areas with fleas or rodents.

“If they’re in an area that looks like a town has died off, don’t enter,” Alexander said. “Fleas could be there looking for a new host.”

Prairie dogs generally go into their holes when they d*e, he said. If a once-active prairie dog town is no longer busy, it’s best to stay away, he said.

Alexander advises to “very liberally” use insect repellent, particularly around the feet, legs and cuff of your pants.

“Don’t pick up sick or dying animals,” he said. “Let them lie.”

If you do pick them up, Deusen advises wearing gloves.
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Give your dogs cuddle for me daggyho

Post by Daddy O » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:48 am

I'm impressed you know how to cut & paste...............when you're not spooning one of your mates, that is.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:07 am

Daddy O wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:48 am
I'm impressed you know how to cut & paste...............when you're not spooning one of your mates, that is.
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:21 am

Back to imitating me again Max. JESUS CHRIST you are stupid and so is Andy for being such a p*ssy as to allow you to do it.

I used to think you were just a worthless drunk and pervert. I see know that from and your mate that it goes much deeper (pun intended) than that. You two have ruined this board.

Being fat, drunk, uneducated and stupid is no way to go through life.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Daddy O wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:21 am
Back to imitating me again Max. JESUS CHRIST you are stupid and so is Andy for being such a p*ssy as to allow you to do it.

I used to think you were just a worthless drunk and pervert. I see know that from and your mate that it goes much deeper (pun intended) than that. You two have ruined this board.

grow up
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:34 pm

You can solve it if you want to Andy. Until then........your ass is for sale. Sanddancers needs to recover the revenues you lost due to your mismanagement.....and isn't this the direction you want to take this board?

Your actions speak louder than words.

Enforce the rules..............if you can read, that is.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:09 pm

grow up
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:24 pm

Go away ........... You're not only stupid, but annoying.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:05 am

Daddy O wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:34 pm
You can solve it if you want to Andy. Until then........your ass is for sale. Sanddancers needs to recover the revenues you lost due to your mismanagement.....and isn't this the direction you want to take this board?

It is you that is taking it that way.

tugger

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:40 am

max Headroom wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:05 am
Daddy O wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:34 pm

It is you that is taking it that way.

tugger
I found the actual content of the original post interesting. Rather sad really that the colonies of prairie dogs are dying that way.

But seriously, when you started a thread about rabid dogs in Texas, with a heading that basically said you want daddyo to catch plague, what did you think his response was likely to be? Blind freddy could guess it would be game on.

Were you actually even interested in discussing the plague (that wasn't my impression), or were you just using the news report to have a go?

Daddyo's responses have been bad taste, I know that. But wasn't that exactly what you were hoping to goad out of him?

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:13 am

I am writing about bubonic plague not rabies.

I shall explain to you although I am not obliged to do so, however it is with the kindness of my heart to eductate those less unfortunate, so the answer is as requested I thought it would be interesting to talk about the bubonic plague in a so called "1st" world nation how it is spread.

Unfortunately there are ones among us here who enjoy using their maligned bent perception in such a abnormal twisted way, with the sole intent of hijacking what ever threads I make, to crap on about anything they like, I would usually put it down to one being affected with some form of short term memory loss dementia or what ever, however in recent times i have come to the conclusion that dick heads of a feather stick together.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:37 am

So it was meant as a genuine post about plague and you were shocked anyone could take it any other way?

Looks like everyone here has bent perceptions then as not another soul has discussed or referred to the subject matter.
Avoiding it like... like the plague. :wink:

That's okay, I just stepped in where the angels fear to tread. :D

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:45 am

Sherri.............please leave the "Spooners" alone. They have every right to spoon whoever they choose to.......even plagued prairie dogs, or themselves.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:00 am

sherri wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:37 am
So it was meant as a genuine post about plague and you were shocked anyone could take it any other way?

Looks like everyone here has bent perceptions then as not another soul has discussed or referred to the subject matter.
Avoiding it like... like the plague.
:wink:

That's okay, I just stepped in where the angels fear to tread. :D
No not everyone, just a certain minority.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:21 am

Daddy O wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:21 am

No doubt you are trying to say something, whats Jesus got to do with it, I guess you are still grizzling about creation of man and other stuff, occasionally he breaks out with his silly sense of humor on the 8th day created you.

tugger

Return to “The Corner Shop”