Breast Feeding in Public

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Breast Feeding in Public

Post by ralph » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:06 pm

Having been breast-fed myself as a baby (cannot claim to remember it), I consider breast feeding a natural part of life and I have never given it a second thought when seeing a baby being so fed. That said, was Larissa Waters not taking it to extremes by choosing to feed her baby while addressing Parliament? I know there is a history to her and baby-feeding, but feeding is not like breathing and would the baby have suffered unduly if it had waited a few minutes to be fed? I don't know about the baby, but I think Ms Waters was the one making a meal of it. Perhaps this: “I am so proud that my daughter Alia is the first baby to be breastfed in the Federal Parliament,” Ms Waters said in May. has more to do with :lol:

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Breast Feeding in Public

Post by Pilot » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:17 pm

I suppose it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I don't mind at all I tend to just look away and let them get on with it. But if your addressing an audience !
I voted leave

freon
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by freon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Breast fed kids are better kids and how convenient is it no refrigeration no heating and lovely containers
But the timing is whats important if the baby is young then its on demand.If the baby is a bit older then it can wait
for a few minutes Maybe she is making a statement for all breast feeding women

cheers

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:04 pm

looks as if she made a right t*t of herself
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

J Jackson
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by J Jackson » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:24 pm

Elton John pays a nanny to breast feed him. Surprised anyone ?
KEEP ALL CHILDREN AWAY FROM DADDY O !!

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:03 pm

Pilot wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:17 pm
I suppose it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I don't mind at all I tend to just look away and let them get on with it. But if your addressing an audience !
Exactly PIlot. This was a "Look at me look at me." event.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:04 pm

andysfootball wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:04 pm
looks as if she made a right t*t of herself
Quite so Andy. :D

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:09 pm

freon wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:33 pm
Breast fed kids are better kids and how convenient is it no refrigeration no heating and lovely containers
But the timing is whats important if the baby is young then its on demand.If the baby is a bit older then it can wait
for a few minutes Maybe she is making a statement for all breast feeding women

cheers
Way over the top, she had already made enough fuss about this in the past - pure attention seeking on her own behalf. She had got what she wanted earlier, she's in danger of making herself look foolish and becoming the subject of snide jokes - something her daughter might not appreciate when she gets older.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:05 am

ralph wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:06 pm
Having been breast-fed myself as a baby (cannot claim to remember it), I consider breast feeding a natural part of life and I have never given it a second thought when seeing a baby being so fed. That said, was Larissa Waters not taking it to extremes by choosing to feed her baby while addressing Parliament? I know there is a history to her and baby-feeding, but feeding is not like breathing and would the baby have suffered unduly if it had waited a few minutes to be fed? I don't know about the baby, but I think Ms Waters was the one making a meal of it. Perhaps this: “I am so proud that my daughter Alia is the first baby to be breastfed in the Federal Parliament,” Ms Waters said in May. has more to do with :lol:
As one who has breastfed 3 children & under some trying circumstances in one case, I think I can claim to know a thing or two about it.

It's a natural activity and can be done discreetly.
But there is absolutely no need to feed a baby while addressing parliament.

Usually a mother would want to be seated, it's easier that way.
Secondly, you need to be reasonably relaxed for the let down.
Thirdly, babies often chuck a bit or dribble. They may need to stop for a moment here or there. In short, you need to be able to pay some attention to the baby. Doesn't mean you can't be having a chat with someone or watching TV at the same time, but you're not going to be able to get a lot of serious work done in that time.

So I think the woman was cheating the baby and taxpayers. If you know you have a speech coming up-in parliament, anywhere-the logical thing to do, or what I would have done, is feed the baby just beforehand. That way, you've got a clear window of opportunity to concentrate on your speech without any distractions.

I would also say that this is her workplace, it is not her home. I have known of teachers who returned to work and who got around this issue of breastfeeding by expressing plus one would return to her nearby home at lunchtime to feed or express. It's not easy but the bottom line is, if you're teaching, you can't have your baby there in the classroom & be tending to it. You have to arrange child care & work around any issues.
I'm sure if you work in a store, factory, or as a nurse or anything else, people don't expect you breastfeeding in the middle of the job.

Having childcare at workplaces or even allowing people to feed in tea breaks is one thing, but feeding in the middle of important work tasks is not acceptable in most work places & that's fair enough.
Why does this woman expect concessions no other workers would get?

PS Someone should tell her the issue is not breastfeeding in public, it is the timing. She was on work time, not acceptable.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:53 am

sherri wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:05 am
ralph wrote:
As one who has breastfed 3 children & under some trying circumstances in one case, I think I can claim to know a thing or two about it.

It's a natural activity and can be done discreetly.
But there is absolutely no need to feed a baby while addressing parliament.

Usually a mother would want to be seated, it's easier that way.
Secondly, you need to be reasonably relaxed for the let down.
Thirdly, babies often chuck a bit or dribble. They may need to stop for a moment here or there. In short, you need to be able to pay some attention to the baby. Doesn't mean you can't be having a chat with someone or watching TV at the same time, but you're not going to be able to get a lot of serious work done in that time.

So I think the woman was cheating the baby and taxpayers. If you know you have a speech coming up-in parliament, anywhere-the logical thing to do, or what I would have done, is feed the baby just beforehand. That way, you've got a clear window of opportunity to concentrate on your speech without any distractions.

I would also say that this is her workplace, it is not her home. I have known of teachers who returned to work and who got around this issue of breastfeeding by expressing plus one would return to her nearby home at lunchtime to feed or express. It's not easy but the bottom line is, if you're teaching, you can't have your baby there in the classroom & be tending to it. You have to arrange child care & work around any issues.
I'm sure if you work in a store, factory, or as a nurse or anything else, people don't expect you breastfeeding in the middle of the job.

Having childcare at workplaces or even allowing people to feed in tea breaks is one thing, but feeding in the middle of important work tasks is not acceptable in most work places & that's fair enough.
Why does this woman expect concessions no other workers would get?

PS Someone should tell her the issue is not breastfeeding in public, it is the timing. She was on work time, not acceptable.
In short Sherri, it was a publicity stunt.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:06 am

Yes, but not a particularly sensible one in my opinion.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:52 am

Such a subject is perhaps the most boring one ever to be brought up here, I am the most qualified expert on the subject, I put it down to 2 words and they are "big deal".
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:10 am

max Headroom wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:52 am
Such a subject is perhaps the most boring one ever to be brought up here, I am the most qualified expert on the subject, I put it down to 2 words and they are "big deal".
You have to be kidding me. When it comes to boring, the football threads beat it by a country mile. In my opinion.
But everyone is different, Max. If politics and breastfeeding bore you, just move on to other threads.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:02 am

sherri wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:10 am
max Headroom wrote:
You have to be kidding me. When it comes to boring, the football threads beat it by a country mile. In my opinion.
But everyone is different, Max. If politics and breastfeeding bore you, just move on to other threads.
Very true Sherri, if the thread 'subject' heading doesn't appeal just don't go there.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:53 am

sherri wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:10 am
max Headroom wrote:
What a silly thing to say sherri, once again you have started flapping your gums before you have fully comprehended what I am writing about, I am the resident expert on boobs, over a period of 9 years I have honed my skills with daily observation, I suppose you'll come back at me and call me some sort of pervert, anyhow back to the boobs, first hand I have seen every possible type imaginable, big ones, small ones, fun bags, mango style, udder shudder, knee slappers etc, you see I had the misfortune in my younger days, I was one of those workers in your previous writings where you praised the outstanding work ethics and diligence of council workers, anyhow I was the operator of a mechanical beach cleansing sieve tractor, working for the local council, I cleansed all the beaches north of manly to palm beach and thats where the boobs come in, I have seen so many boobs they have become boring, so big deal...and move on your self and try and get a life.
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:02 am

I didn't think this thread had anything much to do with boobs, I thought it was about a politician breastfeeding while giving a speech in parliament.

Actually, even if you changed it to the politician bottle feeding the baby while trying to give a speech, I would still think it was not appropriate.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:39 am

I do appreciate your enthusiastic feed back and do hope that in years to come you return here and reminisce, perhaps you may even discover that you do at times say such irrelevant things which the sole intention was a feeble childish attempt to cause ripples on my "sea of tranquility" however I do not believe that severe feed back is necessary in your little outburst in this particular case, I do believe open arms and loving compassion is a most adequate response is in order also with my guidance and down to earth nurturing, no bug*er that, get stuffed.

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:34 pm

Ignore him Sherri. It takes a boob to recognize a boob......and as he stated....he is the expert.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:43 pm

Oh my we have another one here that has got it wrong, how was your 2 weeks off, I just know you would have enjoyed it all by your self again, again and again lol.

tugger

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:28 am

ralph wrote:
If you ask me she has done it purely as a stunt & that's not what they are there for....

Half the time any number of Parliamentarians are missing from the chamber for one reason or another ....

there were bug*er all in the Senate chamber last Thursday when I was watching it.

On this occasion I didn't think it necessary.

That said I have nothing against women doing it in public when they have too
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

Return to “The Corner Shop”