Why do we allow this?

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Why do we allow this?

Post by sherri » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:39 pm

This latest news makes me really annoyed.

The largest dairy farm in Australia has just been sold-to a Chinese company.

The treasurer says this sale is in 'the national interest' & some who defend it say that any opposition is simply xenophobia.

But I am with this businesswoman:
One of Australia’s most successful businesswomen, Kathmandu founder Jan Cameron, said the decision could come back to haunt Mr Morrison.

“It is extremely disappointing, and typical of the ill-considered decision-making coming out of both the Liberal and Labor parties,” she said.

“These parties are so shortsighted, they don’t realise that they are compromising Australian food security for the long term....
The supply from the dairy is now out of our hands, and the control of that supply turns over to China,” she said. “If you don’t own it, you don’t control it.”

Blind Freddy can see what will happen here. The company will fulfil all its present contracts but in time it will strike up new contracts in China. It will turn to supplying baby formula there, it is much more lucrative.

What other countries allow their biggest assets to pass into foreign control? :evil:

We're not even in the EU, our govt could tighten regulations if it wanted to.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business ... f43b0030b3

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Why do we allow this?

Post by max Headroom » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:09 am

I'll be buying shares in that company, have a heap of A2M shares already, with the end of one child policy, growing population it will be winner and the Australia's reputation for clean green food products also the growing Chinese middle class, in long term it will be a good investment.
Right now is a fantastic time to invest in the stock market, tugger thinks the stock market is a butchers shop.
Would you grizzle if another country bought them out.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:40 am

They should only be able to invest/buy a leasehold business arrangement

not freehold

they should have to make agreements for supply to the domestic market

or forfeit the business/ownership
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:53 am

max Headroom wrote:I'll be buying shares in that company, have a heap of A2M shares already, with the end of one child policy, growing population it will be winner and the Australia's reputation for clean green food products also the growing Chinese middle class, in long term it will be a good investment.
Right now is a fantastic time to invest in the stock market, tugger thinks the stock market is a butchers shop.
What you're saying here Max is you believe the long term aim of the company is to supply the Chinese market as its main priority.
That is exactly what I believe too, no matter what spin the company puts on it.
And that's what I don't like, I think our population needs should come first & if that needs govt laws & regulations to enforce it, so be it.
We're already seeing severe shortages of baby formula here in Victoria, with a lot of it going direct to China.

You'll probably do well with those shares.

freon
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by freon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:41 am

Well the idiot liberal government in the Territory have leased darwin harbour to a Chinese company for 99 years.I don't think they thought it through because the biggest Australian project, which I am currently working for, and involves bringing gas on shore for the Japanese.
This will mean the Chinese will be able to control the export of the Japanese gas, not to mention Darwin harbour is an American war cemetery.What a mess
cheers

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:36 am

I've been watching a documentary on TV recently about a group of celeb pensioners going to India to see if they like it as a place to retire to, an unlikely choice IMO, but one interesting fact is that unless you become a citizen of India you are not allowed to own property, you can rent and live in India but the government wont let you buy. Maybe we could learn from them.
I voted leave

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:12 pm

New Zealand is very careful too. Even very small properties have to be approved before they can pass into foreign ownership.

So far, we have enormous cattle properties that have been bought by the Chinese, now our biggest dairy farm. You can't blame them. They see a huge market in their own country, they have the money to invest, they are doing nothing illegal. But we are losing control over our own food.
I blame our government.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:50 pm

sherri wrote:
max Headroom wrote:I'll be buying shares in that company, have a heap of A2M shares already, with the end of one child policy, growing population it will be winner and the Australia's reputation for clean green food products also the growing Chinese middle class, in long term it will be a good investment.
What you're saying here Max is you believe the long term aim of the company is to supply the Chinese market as its main priority.
That is exactly what I believe too, no matter what spin the company puts on it.
And that's what I don't like, I think our population needs should come first & if that needs govt laws & regulations to enforce it, so be it.
We're already seeing severe shortages of baby formula here in Victoria, with a lot of it going direct to China.

You'll probably do well with those shares.
I will do well with these shares, I only invest in long term and most of which are dividend reinvestment, now is the time to invest in the market, the Chinese and yanks have driven it way down, most banks have dropped some 15 to 20%, the CBA has dropped 25% from $95 to mid $70, buy now and cash in.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:40 pm

Australia seems to be going through terrific change and shortsightedness.. If the Chinese export all Dairy products to China where is the shortfall coming from ?? And leasing a Harbour for 99 years !!! Who's brilliant idea was that.. Look what we Brits did to Hong Kong when we had the lease for 100 years.. What if the Chinese Government want to turn it into a Chinese annexe ? At least they could supply them with Dairy products from their own Farm.
I always value Pilots wit and input

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:02 am

freon wrote:Well the idiot liberal government in the Territory have leased darwin harbour to a Chinese company for 99 years.I don't think they thought it through because the biggest Australian project, which I am currently working for, and involves bringing gas on shore for the Japanese.
This will mean the Chinese will be able to control the export of the Japanese gas, not to mention Darwin harbour is an American war cemetery.What a mess
cheers
Freon the Indians own Abbott Point Terminal & port in QLD.

Funny how your so called Aboriginal Chief Minister Adam Giles wants to frack gas the guts out of the Territory.

Do you remember your old NT tourism ads that ran interstate a while back with the catch cry(Daryl Somers did some)?

"You'll never never know if you never never go"

Who would want to go to see your beautiful state lunar landscaped with gas wells?

Seems everyone can be bought.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:30 am

memor wrote:Australia seems to be going through terrific change and shortsightedness.. If the Chinese export all Dairy products to China where is the shortfall coming from ?? And leasing a Harbour for 99 years !!! Who's brilliant idea was that.. Look what we Brits did to Hong Kong when we had the lease for 100 years.. What if the Chinese Government want to turn it into a Chinese annexe ? At least they could supply them with Dairy products from their own Farm.
They will own the farm, probably bring in some of their own workers and send a lot of the product direct to China. Baby formula fetches about 5 times the price there as it does here. In short, Australia won't profit a lot-not in exports, not in a lot more work for the locals.

The company actually hasn't been in Australian hands for a long time, but all the same, I think there should be a change & large tracts of land should not be able to be readily sold to overseas interests.
I would imagine the overall price of dairy products may go up over time.
Memor, there is already a big shortage here of baby formula because Asian groups were systematically going into supermarkets and buying up all the cans, then sending it to China, either to relatives or for resale. Some country mothers have frantically driven for hours, checking chemists & other shops.

Basically, I think we should be getting on the bandwagon and our own farmers should be upping our dairy production & selling overseas at a good profit.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:03 am

What a load of hogwash, you might find that there is more than one company that produces this powdered milk, they will adapt and produce more the farmer will be the winners, supply and demand.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:39 am

If you read the post above, I did suggest other farmers should hop on the bandwagon.
But face facts, Max. If the biggest dairy farm in the nation mainly supplies China, we're in for some shortages.
And another thing. There aren't that many parts of Australia, percentage wise, that are suitable for dairy farming.

The bit about baby formula shortages here is not hogwash either. You may be fine in your area, we're not down here.
And if other farmers do start to produce more baby formula, why would they supply the local market-they are already trying to sell to China in preference. They get about 5 times more for it there.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Do point out where I said it was creating shortages?
There are plenty of underdeveloped grazing areas.
The average dairy farmer only produce milk,,,, not powdered milk.
Supply and demand, they cannot keep up, multi-national companies supplies more, the chinese
The milk companies are now increasing production capacity to keep up with the demand, they were geared up for the local market to advance they need capital to increase production and infrastructure, they offer shares on the stock market to do so and thats where investors like me invest, a friend of mine has leased out his meat works to the chinese, they are investing heavily increasing the size of the factory, the chinese are after organic and pesticide free products, china has a booming middle class and this is the tip of the ice berg. Demand in China for Australian infant formula and other health products has skyrocketed since 2008 when melamine contamination saw six babies d*e and 300,000 fall ill.

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:07 pm

Sherri - Does your government own the Dairy Farm, and is it being sold to the Government of China? Or, does a private business own the dairy farm and is selling it to a private investor from China? From your posts, it seems as though you are saying the government owns it and has sold it to China.

Thanks

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:51 pm

You'l have to forgive her, most blondes make jokes about her.

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:53 pm

max Headroom wrote:You'l have to forgive her, most blondes make jokes about her.
You're about two clowns short of a circus Max. Ever consider working for the Donald Trump campaign? He could use someone of your superior intellect.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:19 am

Daddy O wrote:Sherri - Does your government own the Dairy Farm, and is it being sold to the Government of China? Or, does a private business own the dairy farm and is selling it to a private investor from China? From your posts, it seems as though you are saying the government owns it and has sold it to China.

Thanks
No, a private company owns it and is selling it to a private investor.
All I am saying is that large tracts of land in this country should not automatically be allowed to pass into foreign hands.
We have had some cattle farms the size of small European countries that have done just that.

I'm not against foreign investment as such.

But foreign ownership has been far too easy in everything. We've got the situation here in Melbourne where quite a few foreign nationals get around the rules with home buying for example & over 50% of homes in some suburbs are being bought by Chinese nationals who do not live here. It's easy & we all know how it's done but the govt doesn't seem to.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:23 am

Daddy O wrote:Sherri - Does your government own the Dairy Farm, and is it being sold to the Government of China? Or, does a private business own the dairy farm and is selling it to a private investor from China? From your posts, it seems as though you are saying the government owns it and has sold it to China.

Thanks
Oh the government, yeah they also own a banana farm, forty seven coconut tree and a bottle of red ripple wine.

tugger

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:04 am

Sherri said: "What other countries allow their biggest assets to pass into foreign control? " Well in Britain most of the water and energy supplying companies are in foreign hands and our latest planned nuclear power station is to be built by the French with a massive financial input from China, so here is one country that not only allows it but whose successive governments appear to welcome it. Is it right? Only if you happen to be a mega-wealthy investor. This is the point at which the wealthy jump in and tell you that pension funds will invest in these companies so that we will all benefit in the end. I have heard many friends speaking of their private pensions (the Conservatives always urged us to go for this option) and how little return they get as a result. :-)

Even in 'democratic countries, the Boards of huge International Corporations are usually the people who are pulling the politicians strings and are the real Rulers, They give huge 'political donations' they give employment to 'retiring' politicians in the system known as the 'revolving doors'. They employ large PR companies to generate economic scare stories about the results of opposing their plans and of course they move manufacturing jobs around the globe to places where financial regulation and workers pay and conditions are so poor that profits will be the greatest. The money made will usually be held banks registered in tiny countries such as The Cayman Islands so that tax can be avoided.

It is often pointed out that a tiny percentage of the world's population control 90% of the wealth. Are we surprised? It is at this point one usually gets spat at and is accused of being a communist. :-) Well you know I am an ardent Monarchist and when younger I unhesitatingly voted Conservative, but I'm a lot more cautious now. :lol:

Return to “The Corner Shop”