Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

BigRy
Administrator
Administrator

moderator needed

Post by BigRy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi All

I really would appreciate everyone to behave in an appropriate manner. I really do not want to close these boards!

The site brings very little in and was started as a hobby but at the end of the day it costs money to run

I do not have as much time as I would like these days to keep constant check, if anyone would like to moderate the forum it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much

andysfootball

Re: moderator needed

Post by andysfootball » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:57 am

i'll give it a trial for one month
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:42 am

I'll second that motion.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

freon
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by freon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:26 pm

Good on you Andy

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Andy as moderator that should liven up the boards a bit lol
I voted leave

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:00 pm

Pilot wrote:Andy as moderator that should liven up the boards a bit lol
True. :D

Good luck with it, Andy.
I don't know how anyone else feels but I don't mind what topics people talk about or if people have different opinions, but I do get tired of personal abuse posts.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:02 am

I'll try & make a donation ASAP Ry
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:23 am

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:57 am

gnads wrote:I'll try & make a donation ASAP Ry
Probably a good idea, gnads. We all get entertainment, one way or another, from the site. Will try to make a donation soon too.

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:39 pm

sherri wrote:
Probably a good idea, gnads. We all get entertainment, one way or another, from the site. Will try to make a donation soon too.
I have been donating $100 American each year, but not this year. The board has digressed into a 7th grade competition of locker room behavior, thus it is impossible to have any kind of discussion on this board.

I have liked this board because of the diversity of countries involved. I learn a lot by communicating with people from other cultures/diversities and countries. Unfortunately, It only takes one or two people to ruin that for the entire board. I think Beachy pointed that out in a very gracious manner a couple of months ago. When that happened, I looked at my own comments and decided he was right. I made a reconciliatory effort to resolve that issue and was promptly told to go jump in a lake.

The board has digressed into a mess, and thus, not many want to post anymore. When that happens, the board dies. I praise Big Ry in his efforts to find a moderator. I just hope it’s not too little and too late because this has been a great board in the past. One can learn a lot here………I can attest to that….I now know what “Bollocks” means. :)

In my opinion, moderators should not only moderate equitably, but move the board in the direction that the owner wishes it to go. Saying this, it must be very clear to every poster exactly what the ground rules are, and what the penalties are for violating those rules, as well as what direction the board wants to go in. Simply turning over the board to a so called “moderator” without these principles in place is paramount to turning over an unruly child to a baby sitter that has no agreement with the parents as to what their duties and responsibilities are, much less have the authority to punish the child when they step out of bounds.

Successful Boards have three elements that they must achieve, which are:

(1) The first element for a board to be successful is to have content. Without people who post that content, the board is nothing and will certainly d*e. Just look at how many people posted in the last 7 to 10 days. It speaks volumes as to the content of this board.

(2) The owner of the board, either directly by themselves or through their moderators, should provide their posters a clean area to discuss whichever topic they choose to (within the forum rules and limits) without unwarranted intrusion and harassment by other posters on the board. One can disagree, but without individual personal harassment from others.

(3) Lastly, the Board needs to make money in order to provide the services it offers. This is usually through a monthly fee agreed to when you sign up, or through donations from board members. If the latter, the Owner, or Moderator, should literally ask for donations at regular intervals in order to keep the financial expenditures in check. Without this, the board will also d*e.

Moderators are unique people. They should not have an axe to grind with other members of the board and should be willing to allow freedom of speech that they often disagree with. They should not taunt the members or otherwise insert comments offensive to the members. In short they simply should moderate without interference…………unless the board member is not following the board rules.

Now then, and having said that, I have two levels of concern with Andy being a moderator, which are:

(1) Having watched Andy’s comments for several years, he has certainly been an instigator of negativity on this board. His abusive and improper comments are almost always pointed directly at Granty……that is, when they are not pointed at me. So, tell us Andy, how would you resolve that issue? What is your plan to bring Granty back to the board, after all, Granty was/is a great poster of content. Thus, what would you personally do to bring him back?

(4) The second issue I have is, if I were to hire someone, and they told me “I’ll try it for a month”, they most certainly would not be hired. An employee of mine, whether paid or volunteer, does not dictate terms to me. If he/she chooses not to abide by my rules, then they do not work for me. To dictate terms “I’ll try it for a month” is ridiculous. Andy reminds me of Donald Trump’s unacceptable terms of “If the Republican Party does not treat me the way I want to be treated, I’ll pick up my marbles and leave.” BTW…………..he lost the first Primary in Iowa…….now he can call himself a “loser” instead of all of the other candidates. In any business, and this Board is a business, those are unacceptable terms.

There are many good persons on this board to consider as a moderator. I would suggest Big Ry to contact them and start a discussion. Some names that come to my mind are Ralph, Danet, Sherri, Pilot, Memor, Beachy and many, many others.....and BTW, let's not forget Curly and Jimmy...both magnificent moderators.

I truly hope this is a turning point for the board. The next moderator will be key in making that happen, or closing the board.

I wish Big RY the best in his decision.

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:54 pm

I did try it but found it a thankless task, I will try to support whoever does it.
I voted leave

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:40 pm

I have to say, DaddyO is correct in what he has said. I have enjoyed the board over the years because of the diversity, too.

Some of the points though may not be achievable.
For instance, 'moderating' is done free, as a service for the board, and so any volunteer is entitled to say they will give it a go but if they find that it is too big a task they will have to discontinue it.

Plus we have to be realistic, there isn't a big base of people here & not everyone wants to pop in daily & that's what moderating really calls for.

But I totally agree, an ideal moderator should not have an axe to grind, they need to be as impartial as they can be & fair to all sides, even if they personally do not like a contributor or point of view.

My personal opinion is the less moderating done, the better, but when it is needed, it needs to be totally clear to everyone what has been done and why.
I don't know if anyone has ever looked at the ebay boards. I think they are a great example of moderating. For example, when a poster comes on and says something like, "Don't buy from seller XYZ as they are dishonest and ... etc", you soon see it changed to, "Don't buy from seller (MOD Andy deleted this) as they are dishonest and..."

Or if things become heated, a mod will post and say, "Hello everyone, things are getting a little heated, can we all try being civil and get the conversation back on track."

If the posters keep it up, they can be sent an official warning or temporary ban. Plus the offender is sent a PM each time their content is moderated and they are told why.
The best thing about the system though is-as in that 1st example-every single person can see who was moderated and what sort of content was deleted.

It's like a classroom, you don't need many rules. But those you have need to be clear to everyone and enforced consistently & fairly. If they aren't, people will push the boundaries.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:04 pm

Daddy O wrote:
sherri wrote:
I have been donating $100 American each year, but not this year. The board has digressed into a 7th grade competition of locker room behavior, thus it is impossible to have any kind of discussion on this board.

I have liked this board because of the diversity of countries involved. I learn a lot by communicating with people from other cultures/diversities and countries. Unfortunately, It only takes one or two people to ruin that for the entire board. I think Beachy pointed that out in a very gracious manner a couple of months ago. When that happened, I looked at my own comments and decided he was right. I made a reconciliatory effort to resolve that issue and was promptly told to go jump in a lake.

The board has digressed into a mess, and thus, not many want to post anymore. When that happens, the board dies. I praise Big Ry in his efforts to find a moderator. I just hope it’s not too little and too late because this has been a great board in the past. One can learn a lot here………I can attest to that….I now know what “Bollocks” means. :)

In my opinion, moderators should not only moderate equitably, but move the board in the direction that the owner wishes it to go. Saying this, it must be very clear to every poster exactly what the ground rules are, and what the penalties are for violating those rules, as well as what direction the board wants to go in. Simply turning over the board to a so called “moderator” without these principles in place is paramount to turning over an unruly child to a baby sitter that has no agreement with the parents as to what their duties and responsibilities are, much less have the authority to punish the child when they step out of bounds.

(1) The first element for a board to be successful is to have content. Without people who post that content, the board is nothing and will certainly d*e. Just look at how many people posted in the last 7 to 10 days. It speaks volumes as to the content of this board.

(2) The owner of the board, either directly by themselves or through their moderators, should provide their posters a clean area to discuss whichever topic they choose to (within the forum rules and limits) without unwarranted intrusion and harassment by other posters on the board. One can disagree, but without individual personal harassment from others.

(3) Lastly, the Board needs to make money in order to provide the services it offers. This is usually through a monthly fee agreed to when you sign up, or through donations from board members. If the latter, the Owner, or Moderator, should literally ask for donations at regular intervals in order to keep the financial expenditures in check. Without this, the board will also d*e.

Moderators are unique people. They should not have an axe to grind with other members of the board and should be willing to allow freedom of speech that they often disagree with. They should not taunt the members or otherwise insert comments offensive to the members. In short they simply should moderate without interference…………unless the board member is not following the board rules.

Now then, and having said that, I have two levels of concern with Andy being a moderator, which are:

(1) Having watched Andy’s comments for several years, he has certainly been an instigator of negativity on this board. His abusive and improper comments are almost always pointed directly at Granty……that is, when they are not pointed at me. So, tell us Andy, how would you resolve that issue? What is your plan to bring Granty back to the board, after all, Granty was/is a great poster of content. Thus, what would you personally do to bring him back?

(4) The second issue I have is, if I were to hire someone, and they told me “I’ll try it for a month”, they most certainly would not be hired. An employee of mine, whether paid or volunteer, does not dictate terms to me. If he/she chooses not to abide by my rules, then they do not work for me. To dictate terms “I’ll try it for a month” is ridiculous. Andy reminds me of Donald Trump’s unacceptable terms of “If the Republican Party does not treat me the way I want to be treated, I’ll pick up my marbles and leave.” BTW…………..he lost the first Primary in Iowa…….now he can call himself a “loser” instead of all of the other candidates. In any business, and this Board is a business, those are unacceptable terms.

There are many good persons on this board to consider as a moderator. I would suggest Big Ry to contact them and start a discussion. Some names that come to my mind are Ralph, Danet, Sherri, Pilot, Memor, Beachy and many, many others.....and BTW, let's not forget Curly and Jimmy...both magnificent moderators.

I truly hope this is a turning point for the board. The next moderator will be key in making that happen, or closing the board.

What you have written is a perfect example of abuse, let uphold your glorious freedom speech and have a vote, you are frightened of Andy.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:47 pm

Daddy O wrote:
sherri wrote:

And you made a thread called "Gnads Whining Thread" ? :lol: :lol:

Honestly you're all about control aren't you?

What's also unacceptable is your double standards ...... you bleat on about people behaving like 7th graders but
you're no better .....

you berate them for their opinions, you berate their occupations & intelligence ... like you're some Einstein talking to plebs
& wonder why people get their backs up & ride you like a beaten favourite.

Time you practised what you preach or STHU you whinger.

Won't it be a real pickle when you end up with Trump or even that crone Hilary as President? :lol: :lol:

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:16 am

Thank you Gnads for validating my post.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:38 am

Several years back, there was a boardie called delilahcat who used to make regular, interesting posts, though often with a political slant and so of course controversial.
There was a lot of disagreement with some of her posts (which is fine) but she also came in for some personal abuse. I have to say she had a great line in repartee & could answer back. :D
One day though I said something against some of the abuse hurled at her and was told (by an uninvolved boardie) to keep out of it, Delilah was perfectly capable of defending herself without my help.
I felt suitably chastened & said no more as it seemed true.

Some time later, in a PM (and I don't think I am breaking a confidence now after all these years) she confided that she felt alone. All through the attacks hardly any one stood up to any attackers, no moderator stepped in. She felt very hurt.

I was sorry then, sorry I had listened to Mr Don't say anything.
I think the moral of the story is everyone here, no matter how strong they seem, needs to feel respected or accepted, that they can come on in and say something without too much abuse. That if others are silent, it can be taken as passive consent.
If they feel as if they are constantly under attack, they will probably just stop coming.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:45 am

american politics really who does care

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:17 am

max Headroom wrote:american politics really who does care
As the worlds greatest power, you should care. Australia usually goose steps to the Brits whims and needs, and the Brits goose step to the Americans. This is the classic example of how s**t runs downhill.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:49 am

Daddy O wrote:
max Headroom wrote:american politics really who does care
As the worlds greatest power, you should care. Australia usually goose steps to the Brits whims and needs, and the Brits goose step to the Americans. This is the classic example of how s**t runs downhill.
Fair dinkum!!!!!!! and fills your boots.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:11 am

thanks for your opinions daddy o

but in a democracy which this board is

it looks as though I have absolute majority support
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

Return to “The Corner Shop”