Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

A little pictorial tour

Post by sherri » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:43 am

Just for a change of pace. Let me take you on a little tour of NZ. :D

We recently went on a cruise there, leaving from Melbourne. Very lucky with the weather, beautiful, sunny days all the way! Almost, anyway!

First stop, Auckland.

This is Global's home town and I couldn't help thinking of him as we sailed in. All familiar territory here as we have been to NZ before and spent a bit of time in Auckland.

Here's their main tourist building, Sky Tower. It's an easy walk from the pier. My sister in law & her husband were with us. He is in a mobility scooter but had no trouble getting around Auckland.

And the view from the top:

--------------------
On to Tauranga, where we went to Rotorua, which is about an hour away.
Rotorua has all these boiling mud spots and geysers & thermal stuff happening. Not sure I would want to live there, where anything could pop up in your back yard & sometimes does, but it is an interesting place to visit.

We were at Wai-O-Tapu.

-------------------------------------------------
Napier.
I hadn't been here before & was really looking forward to it. Napier was destroyed in an earthquake in the early 1930s and the young architects of the town were given the task of designing all the new buildings. The popular design of the time was art deco, so that is what they went with and Napier is now one of the biggest art deco cities in the world. Shops, homes, factories. If you like art deco style, you should visit Napier!!

It's a great little town, I loved it! It's got a vibe. :D

And here is their oldest church. I saw it open so wandered over and the lovely lady inside told me its history. It was one of the only buildings not destroyed in the earthquake.

And if you happened to be there on New year's eve and standing here, you would be one of the first in the world to see the sunrise. :D

------------------------------------------
On to Wellington.
I could have this part mixed up but I think it was Wellington where I saw pilots taking us in. :D

I took these photos for our very own Pilot here on the boards. :D

It was really interesting as the ship was moving and there was a dredger very close to the front of the ship, yet the tugs were able to turn the ship around and I think it went backwards into the port.

The wood you see piled up there was typical at a lot of the ports. NZ has a big wood chipping industry, from what I can make out. This photo is from the ship, we walked along that road and it led straight into town. easy 25 min walk.
--------------------------
Akaroa.

What a great little place. I hadn't been there before. It is a French influenced town. Loved it.

It was the only place where we had to catch a tender to the pier.

Their war memorial was damaged during the earthquake a few years back (they are not that far from Christchurch). That is why it is wrapped up at the moment, pending funding for repairs. I thought the crocheted poppies were an interesting touch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
And Dunedin.
Interesting train station. We went on a train ride here. Global would have loved it.

----------------
Back on board ship.

We were meant to go to Fiordland and I was so looking forward to it. But storms closed in on the west coast, we had 6 metre swells and instead we ran for home. Plates bounced off trolleys, everything in the shops got swept onto floors, so in the end they wrapped up the shelves.

And I got sea sick and went MIA for a day or so. :(

But got back in time for the last couple of nights.

I had the strawberry cream soup & beef wellington. :D

Then on our final night, they had the grand parade into the dining room. Bombe Alaska. looks impressive, that white stuff tastes foul. No worries, it just means I prefer plain icecream instead & won't ever feel guilty for not cooking some of these things.

Arriving back home in Melbourne. Looks just as good as any of the other large cities. No place like home. :wink:

andysfootball

Re: A little pictorial tour

Post by andysfootball » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:57 am

Nice photos sherri,

If that's the Sea Princess we are sailing form Singapore to Freemantle via Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia in October/November.

Got a great suite deal for three people (under 5k for 12 days cruising)

Nice shot of the cake tin in Wellington that's where the Wellington Phoenix play.

Great berthing spot in Auckland for cruise ships.

Don't think the trains go anywhere anymore from that station but it had a canny sports museum

thanks for posting.
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:03 am

Very nice too. :D

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:33 am

Glad you both liked the photos. :D

It was the Dawn Princess.

Hope you enjoy your cruise on the Sea Princess, andy.

Granty

Post by Granty » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:33 am

I knew you had money Sherri.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:33 am

Granty wrote:I knew you had money Sherri.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not now, granty, I've spent it. :D

Seriously though, cruising isn't all that expensive. It is a relatively cheap, cost effective way to travel. It isn't what I would do for every holiday and but now and again, it's good.

To give you examples on cost, our 4 day cruise cost about $470 pp for a window cabin, while a 13 day cruise set us back about $1350pp. That cost includes basic drinks such as tea/coffee/lemonade/orange juice/chilled water & all dining room or buffet meals, pizzeria etc. it includes nightly entertainment and shows, child care in the children's programs.
It doesn't include your land excursions or alcohol.

Andy's deal for a suite for 3 for $5000 is a case in point. Bargain.

Cruises differ. On our first one, which was in summer school holidays & to the Sth pacific islands, there were 2000 passengers onboard, 500 of them children.
This time around, to NZ, and during the school term, it was a bit of a geriatric crowd I have to admit, hardly any kids and most people over 45.

There are some great Disney cruises and cruises in USA and Europe Granty. You should give it a burl. :wink:

Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:12 am

Thanks for sharing Sherri, lovely photos
Life doesn't have an undo button

danet

Post by danet » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:40 am

Great pics. I think the Princess ships are more opulant than P&O, and spoke to some people tonight at the gathering we went to, (that had been on 30 cruises!!!) said never to book through an agency, and do it all yourself online.
And many other hints and tips too.
But others that had been on many cruises also told us, to definitely go on the Antartic cruise. I think it would be magic.

Anyway, the your menu there, the Lobster Tail and King Prawns...oh yuuuum!!! Did anyone order that?

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:28 pm

Brought back great memories, we actually liked NZ better than OZ.........hides
I voted leave

champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:13 pm

sherri wrote: Image
It was really interesting as the ship was moving and there was a dredger very close to the front of the ship,
:lol: Thats not a dredger sherri. :lol: :wink: ......Nice piccies sherri. =D>

J Jackson
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by J Jackson » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:31 pm

sherri wrote: ----------------
Back on board ship.

Last time I saw something this tacky there was a self portrait of Saddam Hussain hanging over the fire place
Pilot voted leave.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:58 pm

Nonsense, JJ. It doesn't look quite as gold in real life, that is just my camera.

I think it has a bit of the wow factor, the atrium. :D
Those are glass lifts you see.
Anyway, when I'm on a ship, I don't mind a little bit of OTT. :D

You've got to remember I've been a teacher, a primary one at that. There's nothing that a bit of gold and glitter can't improve. :lol:

The formal dining rooms have twinkling stars. Loved it. :D

Granty

Post by Granty » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:34 pm

Aye Sherri, I can just see you ordering the Lobster tail to see how the other half live. :wink:

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:09 am

no reason she wouldn't have

as it's all free once you are on the cruise

they probably just use the rest of the lobster for soup

which whip then buys in cans at aldi
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:29 am

Granty wrote:Aye Sherri, I can just see you ordering the Lobster tail to see how the other half live. :wink:
:lol: :lol: I don't care how the other half live, I am not really into lobster so I ordered the Beef wellington and the chilled strawberry soup, which was just a cocktail in disguise. One of the best things I had in the dining room. :D

But 3 others at the table did order seafood when they could. They said it was yummy and you're right, it isn't always what they get at home and so a bit of a treat. :wink:

But here's the strawberry soup, best thing of the night. :wink:

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:40 am

Pilot wrote:Brought back great memories, we actually liked NZ better than OZ.........hides
No need to hide, pilot.
I think because it is a smaller country, it is easier to get around and see things there. There is a lot of beautiful scenery too.
Plus I found the people there very friendly, probably friendlier than you would get in the bigger cities such as Melbourne.

I'd say it is equally as good as Australia and I can see that tourists might easily enjoy it more than here. I could live in NZ, lovely country and not too crowded.

Granty

Post by Granty » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:46 am

Yes Sherri, Lobsters are a bit thin on the ground this time of year, as it's still winterish here.
But remember this, there's only one 'king of the rocks' and he lives here in South Shields. :wink:

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:20 am

sherri wrote:
Pilot wrote:Brought back great memories, we actually liked NZ better than OZ.........hides
No need to hide, pilot.
I think because it is a smaller country, it is easier to get around and see things there. There is a lot of beautiful scenery too.
Plus I found the people there very friendly, probably friendlier than you would get in the bigger cities such as Melbourne.

I'd say it is equally as good as Australia and I can see that tourists might easily enjoy it more than here. I could live in NZ, lovely country and not too crowded.
Nice snaps Sherri .... but I understand why Pilot reckons NZ is better than OZ ..... just like Dictoria ... it's similar landscape to pommyland.

No sense of adventure for something a little different it seems. Just rolling greens hills & pizzing rain

Oh & I almost forgot .... Kiwis are also known a s South Sea Poms :lol: :P
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:38 am

My lack of sense of adventure took me to Sydney, the blue mountains, Adelaide, Alice springs, Ayers Rock and Perth I liked OZ but of the two NZ just won out. Bondi beach was my only disapointment.
I voted leave

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Bondi beach was the pits when I went there years back, Pilot. Very over rated.
Pity you never saw some of Victoria or up around the Whitsundays, some nice spots there, but as I said, it's a very big country to get around, lots of travel involved. Makes it difficult to see everything.

Return to “The Corner Shop”