Huge hole in Council finances!!

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Huge hole in Council finances!!

Post by curly »

It is reported today that the Council has overspent it's budget by the trifling amount of £6m!!

Chief Executive says they will recoup this amount from the reserves that have been built up through "prudent management" of our finances in previous years!

They'd better not come knocking at my door next year appealing for my support for a rise in Council Tax, for heaven's sake we elect these Councillors to keep a check on the way that officers spend the budget, if they can't manage to do that they should not expect to be re-elected. Unfortunately, a huge amount of Labour voters in this town get their income from benefits, and therefore do not pay Council Tax, so don't feel the effects of any rises! It drives me mad that the minority of people who are contributing to Council tax are continually footing the bill for the mismanagement of this Borough.

I think that all of our Councillors should at least make a gesture of declining the proposed increase in their allowances next year,as a sign of their failure to control this massive overspend They should also decide, as a matter of policy that there should be no rise in the level of Council Tax next year, and apply the same stringent budgetry controls that Gordon Brown has done as Chancellor for the last eight years!!

brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

I was in Shields over the weekend and I reckon that they used the overspend on putting speed humps everyware since I was there last year.

I expect they will now buy shares in a shock absorber company and a spring manufacturer to get their money back.

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

My god, they sure think BIG when they decide to overspend, don't they!!
Like you, I would be furious if they expect ratepayers to pick up the pieces through higher rate bills next year. They sure have no right to vote themselves a pay increase either. In fact in some jobs if you overspent your budget by even a fraction of that amount you would be out of a job altogether.

laura
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by laura »

i work for the council,lol

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

Our Council Laura? (You wouldn't happen to be the Chief Executive by any chance?)

brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c »

Nah-----I think Lauras to clever for that

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!

Return to “The Corner Shop”