Working for the dole in Australia!

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

andysfootball

Working for the dole in Australia!

Post by andysfootball »

Brought in by the Liberals and condemed by the greens and labour party as cruel and counter productive.

At long bloody last common sense prevails.

On this strategy alone Tony has got my vote next election.

Time to sort out the bludgers.
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Working for the dole in Australia!

Post by Delilahcat »

Don't know how this system works but I would be worried it could be used to replace other people's paid work. Would also wonder if it applies to only long term unemployed people.

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

It an eye catching measure to please the working public and a vote winner at first sight, but I wonder how long it will be before some public sector employers realise they could sack for example workers from the parks department or porters in the NHS transferring the paybill from local council and NHS to central government, then those same workers being forced to do their old jobs on the scheme for dole money and benefits. Possibly costing the country more in the long run !
I voted leave

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

I'm all for tougher rules for people to qualify for the dole, especially if they are long term dole recipients.

But I hear small businesses are not at all keen on the new regulations being discussed.

You see, one of the things that might come in is the need for every recipient to submit 2 applications per day for jobs.
Now that might sound reasonable at first glance and you might think-well, they shouldn't be too picky if they have no job, go for anything they can!-but the plain simple fact is you are going to get people applying at workplaces where there are no jobs. That is why small businesses are worried, they are going to be flooded with useless job applications they have no interest in.

As for work for the dole. As what? Maybe cleaning up parks, roadsides, stations etc

But there is another part to this that sometimes people don't consider. The new regulations are calling for people to more or less be forced to accept work that is within 90 minutes of their home.

If you say it fast it doesn't sound too bad.

But who is going to assess this 90 mins? 90 mins peak hour or 90 mins ordinarily, because they are not the same thing.

I think an hour is reasonable but 90 mins one way is stretching it if a job is only temporary or part time for say, 3 hours.
There are heavy transport costs associated with travelling to a workplace that is far away.

I know a few years back, my daughter applied for a job at customs. It involved a couple of 3 hour rounds of interviews and role playing. In the city. Petrol/etag and parking cost her about $40 for the half day. the train and tram would probably have been about $15.

So if you plan to send people off to work for the dole, I think they should get a travel allowance and if they are outdoors, they will need the same privileges as other workers-sunscreen etc

I don't know-I think matching some dole recipients to a workplace for eg 2 months for free would be more the go. Free for 2 or 3 months but the workplace then had to sign them on for the following 2/3 months at full pay.

Beachbum
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Beachbum »

Interesting that this post should come up today.

I'm getting older and I have a big property which requires a lot of maintenance.

Today I needed the house, the decks and the front porch power washed.

I called "Johnny Chopper" who I have used before and who did a better job than a landscape and tree pruning service that I had previously used.

He is never going to post a paper disputing the Theory of Relativity on a resume, but here is what he has to offer.

First of all, he realized that he was only going to be a manual labourer, so he had business cards printed up with his name, phone number and the job description of "Manual Labourer"

He isn't cheap, but he works hard.

He spent eleven hours at my place today and with he exception of an hours lunch, he never stopped.

There are an awful lot of people who might actually get real jobs if they found themselves with more income than if they stayed home and sucked at the welfare teat.

Pay people to work.

Don't pay the ones who refuse to at least try to get a job.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

Beachbum wrote:Interesting that this post should come up today.

I'm getting older and I have a big property which requires a lot of maintenance.

Today I needed the house, the decks and the front porch power washed.

I called "Johnny Chopper" who I have used before and who did a better job than a landscape and tree pruning service that I had previously used.

He is never going to post a paper disputing the Theory of Relativity on a resume, but here is what he has to offer.

First of all, he realized that he was only going to be a manual labourer, so he had business cards printed up with his name, phone number and the job description of "Manual Labourer"

He isn't cheap, but he works hard.

He spent eleven hours at my place today and with he exception of an hours lunch, he never stopped.

There are an awful lot of people who might actually get real jobs if they found themselves with more income than if they stayed home and sucked at the welfare teat.

Pay people to work.

Don't pay the ones who refuse to at least try to get a job.
Broadly speaking, I agree with you Beachbum, if you make it possible for people to settle into a reasonably comfortable way of life without working, some stop looking for a job. For many of us, our pride wouldn't allow us to just accept it as a permanent solution, while the worst will try to redress the situation by turning to crime.

I have a gentleman living near to me who is a splendid example of how for many, there is work to be found if you want it. I have been acquainted with him for 40 years and he is now in his mid-nineties. He used to run a local fruit and veg shop, when he retired from there, he took to cleaning the shop windows in the high street, which he has done for decades. I asked him if he ever intends to retire and he just smiled and said: "Not for some years yet." :D

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads »

Abbott's an elitist arzehole

the only thing wrong with new Tassie Senator Jackie Lambie

calling him a psychopath is that she seems to be one, as well

as being a former welfare bludger/manipulator.

Forget this bullshyte

the best way to sort these bludgers out is that before they

receive their welfare/dole cheque

they have to pass a d*ug & alcohol test ...

just like I have to in my work place.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball »

i always told you that the thorpey was gay gnads

take a few blood pressure tablets!

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip »

gnads wrote:Abbott's an elitist arzehole

the only thing wrong with new Tassie Senator Jackie Lambie

calling him a psychopath is that she seems to be one, as well

as being a former welfare bludger/manipulator.

Forget this bullshyte

the best way to sort these bludgers out is that before they

receive their welfare/dole cheque

they have to pass a d*ug & alcohol test ...

just like I have to in my work place
Shame they did not incorporate an anger management course for you as well.
GB FIRST

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads »

Perhaps they could do a Phrenology test on you Whip?

They may find that you're a new species :roll: :lol:

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball »

a new species of faeces

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip »

gnads wrote:Perhaps they could do a Phrenology test on you Whip?

They may find that you're a new species :roll: :lol:
I doubt it.
Humanoid I am so don't go getting yourself in a tizzy.
GB FIRST

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip »

andysfootball wrote:a new species of faeces
They have found it. True like.

The science world is in utopia from their results.
They asked 10 people to test/do things.

They all came back negative except one. Yes you with a positive result.

Do you remember them asking you to look into a mirror.
GB FIRST

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads »

:roll:

israel
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by israel »

work for the dole will just create more unemployment, the government doesn't create jobs, and yet they reckon they will find work for people on the dole, whatever work is available should be used to put workers into a job on a real wage that has nothing to do with the dole..

there will always be unemployment, because that's how useless our governments are, they couldn't run a jew out of mecca let alone run a country.

and while money is given away in aid to other countries, we should not go mad at fellow Australians who need welfare, I know some are just conning the system, but not all..

and to any out there who support bogus asylum seekers and are bitching about our welfare recipients, what the hell do you think these bogus asylum seekers are doing once they are approved to come into the main populace, they are bludging on welfare in a country that they never paid taxes to at all..

double standards eh.. bug*er the aussie battler, but give the bogus asylum seekers everything...

Return to “The Corner Shop”