Argos

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Argos

Post by anna » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:42 pm

I went to our South Shields Argos Store,and picked a Washing Machine i wanted to buy,i wrote down my order and went to cashier desk to pay for it,i was asked all the expected questions,post code ,house num,name and how i wanted to pay,i said cash..as i was counting my money out,she started looking for a time slot for my delivery on her computer,she then asked me for my phone num :? well i can never remember my number or anybody elses,and i had left my phone,in my car ,which was parked near the town hall..she said im sorry i carnt sell you this item without a phone number :shock: so i said i can ring you with my number as soon as i get back to my car ? No was her reply ,i thought she was having me on,she had all my details,i was paying cash ,what the hell diffrence did it make if i didnt have my phone num ? i couldnt belive they refused to sell me a washer without a phone num,and then refused to let me ring in with my num when i got back to my car.......my first plan was to go to SilverLINK Currys,but i seen the same washer in Argos and thought i would rather spend my money in my home town,as its dying a death down there....well stuff it ,Silverlink got my pennys :D ......moral of the story...dont leave my phone in the bloody car again.

Tweedlady
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Argos

Post by Tweedlady » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:16 pm

WELCOME BACK ANNA!
NEVER MIND THOSE IDIOTS,IT'S THEIR LOSS!!
SOMETHING FOR YOU TO CHEER YOU UP,ELVIS.I DONT KNOW WHAT IS YOUR FAV.SONG OF HIS,THIS IS MINE................

CHEERS!

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:02 am

A lot of companies do that now Anna. The reason they need your number is so that the delivery man can ring you up just before he delivers, to make sure your in, or inform you if there are any changes in your planned delivery time.. I buy my stuff on-line from Argos Clearance where you get the best prices and so far have never had a problem with them.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

markofpity
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by markofpity » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:04 am

I've had issues like this with Argos in the past and a couple of things to note...

1. If you give them your number for delivery purposes then that's all they should use it for. I have done this several times and they have not used the number for anything else. I've made it clear to Argos that sales calls are not welcome and they have respected this....so far!!
2. You can give them a duff number. Basically, if you arrange a delivery then they will keep that appointment regardless of whether the driver gets a response when ringing ahead and if he/she gets no response then delivery will still be attempted as arranged. If you aren't comfy with them having your number then just transpose a couple of numbers when giving it.

At one time they had a bad reputation but I have to say that in the last two years I've had five deliveries from Argos and they've all been on time and correct with no annoying follow-up, sales calls or "extended warranty" offers.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:21 pm

One would never lower one's standards to even contemplate dealing with a 3rd rate shop.
The embarrassment factor is not worth the shame.

Still, I suppose some cannot afford to purchase item's in more up market retail shop's.
The lower class must shop some where I suppose.

Argos :lol: such dread.
GB FIRST

siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:32 pm

if you dont haggle you pay inflated prices always say is that your best price. how do you think so many millionaires got where they are today. if your house is for sale estate agents will try to sell it at an inflated price, after all they get a percentage of the final price.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.

Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:36 pm

Hello Anna, how are you these days? What a shame this happened when you wanted to help your local economy.

I can understand them wanting a phone number for delivery as Mr. Smith says but why the girl wouldn't let you phone the number to her is beyond me.
Life doesn't have an undo button

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:00 am

Rosie wrote:Hello Anna, how are you these days? What a shame this happened when you wanted to help your local economy.

I can understand them wanting a phone number for delivery as Mr. Smith says but why the girl wouldn't let you phone the number to her is beyond me.
What she said!!!

I can't believe they were willing to lose a sale over this, when you could have phoned the number in.

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:36 am

That women could have been more amenable to getting the information required.

Glad to have you back Anna.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Never had a problem with Argos (yet) and i get a lot of stuff from there....deliveries always turn up on time. :wink:

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:10 pm

They probably would have delivered on time for Anna, too, if they had bothered to sell it to her in the first place.

Hey, whip, I am intrigued. never heard of Argus, but what is wrong with buying something at a discount? Once it is in your home, no one has a clue where you bought it from and as long as the service was good, does it matter?

champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:07 pm

sherri wrote:They probably would have delivered on time for Anna, too, if they had bothered to sell it to her in the first place.?
Good point sherri :wink:

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:15 am

sherri wrote:They probably would have delivered on time for Anna, too, if they had bothered to sell it to her in the first place.

Hey, whip, I am intrigued. never heard of Argus, but what is wrong with buying something at a discount? Once it is in your home, no one has a clue where you bought it from and as long as the service was good, does it matter?
It do matter to me sherri.
How can one invite guests around knowing they will sit on 3rd world cheap stuff. The shame.
We at least have standards. Unlike others.

Our washing machine came from an up market retailer.
discount not required as we can afford it.

What is '' Argus ? Sound like some other 3rd world cheap shop.

I suppose if some folk can only command the minimum wage they must expect minimum standards.
GB FIRST

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:48 pm

hi peeps..im doing good thanks..i also have dealt with Argos before ,never had any problem,and i understand the delivery driver might need to get in touch for what ever reason,but not been allowed to phone up with my number ? ...reckon she was just a bit of a jobs worth :D ..i would rather see a happy customer and get a good sale ,there loss.

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:50 pm

Tweedlady wrote:WELCOME BACK ANNA!
SOMETHING FOR YOU TO CHEER YOU UP,ELVIS.I DONT KNOW WHAT IS YOUR FAV.SONG OF HIS,THIS IS MINE................

CHEERS!
Thanks Tweedlady..i love it ..defo one of my favs =D>

champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Well i bet you love me for this anna

Image :lol:

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:11 pm

anna wrote:
Tweedlady wrote:WELCOME BACK ANNA!

CHEERS!
Thanks Tweedlady..i love it ..defo one of my favs =D>
I have my suspicion he must be on Botox or something as he is older than me: And every tape I see he always looks a heck of a lot younger.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:58 pm

Sherri, from what I saw last time I was in the UK Argos is a very different shop to anything we have here.

The one I went into did not have a showroom as such, it had catalogs for people to look though and pick the items they want to buy. Everything is in a large warehouse ready to be loaded onto trucks to be delivered or collected from the counter depending on size.

I don't think it would work here as we like to lift lids, open doors and sit on sofas before we buy and you couldn't do that in the store I went into.
Life doesn't have an undo button

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:25 pm

Rosie wrote:Sherri, from what I saw last time I was in the UK Argos is a very different shop to anything we have here.

The one I went into did not have a showroom as such, it had catalogs for people to look though and pick the items they want to buy. Everything is in a large warehouse ready to be loaded onto trucks to be delivered or collected from the counter depending on size.

I don't think it would work here as we like to lift lids, open doors and sit on sofas before we buy and you couldn't do that in the store I went into.
I am surprised they don't run it like Ikea, with one on display and people could then tick their order sheet to collect the items from the warehouse. I guess it is okay if you have seen a washing machine elsewhere and know what you want, but yes, I like to lift lids and open doors. :D

Oh and whip, sorry about the typo. Argus just slipped out. The Argus is the name of what was a major newspaper over here between about the 1840s till the middle of the 20th century. I have been looking up archived personal notices on it from a website here called Trove, just doing some research on family history.

martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Whip your washing machine may have came from an upmarket retailer ( with a high mark up ) for suckers but it will still be one of the generic names Hotpoint, Zanussi, Creda etc. Unless yours was hand made by Tibetan artisans high in the Himalayas with using gold and other materials like everybody elses will have been made in China. :lol:

Return to “The Corner Shop”