Somerset and London area floods.

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by martymont » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Mr Smith its not sandbagging thats urban slang its teabagging. :lol: :lol:

User avatar
J Jackson
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3188
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:10 pm
Location: 122 years in the future - we are all dead.

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by J Jackson » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:32 pm

Immigrants from warm climates that have tried to settle in the south in the last three months will be having second thoughts on choosing England .
Pilot voted leave.

User avatar
tedster
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 5403
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:15 pm

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by tedster » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:21 pm

i would'nt count on the goverment knowing a flood plane,, me and me brother had a lake and we wanted to stock it with fish , we had to get the okay from the environment agencey they said we couldnt move fish there as it was a flood plane and there was chances of the fish getting into the water ways,,, it was way up on a hill ,,,by the way we got the fish :wink:

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by whip » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:25 pm

tedster wrote:i would'nt count on the goverment knowing a flood plane,, me and me brother had a lake and we wanted to stock it with fish , we had to get the okay from the environment agencey they said we couldnt move fish there as it was a flood plane and there was chances of the fish getting into the water ways,,, it was way up on a hill ,,,by the way we got the fish :wink:

Heard a similar story to your's tedster.
On this occasion they was worried about the fish displacing other fish which was there for the fishermen.
Years of control and breeding would have gone out the window.
Make sense really.
GB FIRST

User avatar
tedster
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 5403
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:15 pm

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by tedster » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:13 pm

oh aye it makes sense whip im all for that,,, but when you get a goverment official who is supposed to know about this stuff and he dont know his arse from his elbow,, just along from us was a few trout lakes stocked with rainbow trout they had all the paper work so it was just to check with there papers,, no where near a river or any chance of flooding,,,idiots thats all :lol:

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by whip » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:06 pm

tedster wrote:oh aye it makes sense whip im all for that,,, but when you get a goverment official who is supposed to know about this stuff and he dont know his arse from his elbow,, just along from us was a few trout lakes stocked with rainbow trout they had all the paper work so it was just to check with there papers,, no where near a river or any chance of flooding,,,idiots thats all :lol:
My sentiments exactly upon the very same complete useless gormless twerps in control of the floods here in England.
GB FIRST

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11961
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by gnads » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:16 am

whip wrote:
tedster wrote:oh aye it makes sense whip im all for that,,, but when you get a goverment official who is supposed to know about this stuff and he dont know his arse from his elbow,, just along from us was a few trout lakes stocked with rainbow trout they had all the paper work so it was just to check with there papers,, no where near a river or any chance of flooding,,,idiots thats all :lol:
My sentiments exactly upon the very same complete useless gormless twerps in control of the floods here in England.
That's just it ...... no one is in control of mother nature...... we are all at it's mercy.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by whip » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:37 am

gnads wrote:
whip wrote:
tedster wrote:oh aye it makes sense whip im all for that,,, but when you get a goverment official who is supposed to know about this stuff and he dont know his arse from his elbow,, just along from us was a few trout lakes stocked with rainbow trout they had all the paper work so it was just to check with there papers,, no where near a river or any chance of flooding,,,idiots thats all :lol:
My sentiments exactly upon the very same complete useless gormless twerps in control of the floods here in England.
That's just it ...... no one is in control of mother nature...... we are all at it's mercy.
I appreciate that no one is in control of the weather.
My gripe was the total lack of response from the government.

When they did take notice after much complaining from the public and,
bad press reports they had meetings to blame each other. Unreal situation.

I understand to the best of information that this government had '' 8 '' cobra meetings and still nothing done.
They, the government IMHO should have acted much sooner sending the help to try and protect houses etc.

We elect these people to work on our behalf and mostly things go good.
On this occasion they have left the British public wanting.
GB FIRST

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11961
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by gnads » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:26 am

Okay forget the flooding

what about those on the coast getting hammered by high winds & huge seas

who's responsible for their plight?

People make choices...... they know the risks ... they have lived through it before

they will again

some people are made of sterner stuff ......

they don't just p*ss & moan & blame the govt. for inaction

what have you done toward the effort?
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

User avatar
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 17058
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Saudi Shields

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by Pilot » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:18 pm

I read all our home insurance will go up by £10 to pay for those that choose to live on flood plains, lets face it people live there because most of the time its nice, they should take steps to protect their own properties instead of whinging !
I voted leave

Image

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25254
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by sherri » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:30 pm

whip wrote: I appreciate that no one is in control of the weather.
My gripe was the total lack of response from the government.

When they did take notice after much complaining from the public and,
bad press reports they had meetings to blame each other. Unreal situation.

I understand to the best of information that this government had '' 8 '' cobra meetings and still nothing done.
They, the government IMHO should have acted much sooner sending the help to try and protect houses etc.

We elect these people to work on our behalf and mostly things go good.
On this occasion they have left the British public wanting
.
The govt is between a rock and a hard place.
After things calm down, they could do quite a few things to try to improve things in future.
Ban building in some areas.
Make building regulations in some areas much tougher.
Put up taxes to cover massive improvements in drainage and flood prevention.

That would all go down like a lead balloon.

We had big bushfires here 5 years ago and everyone was screaming the govt was at fault on a lot of fronts and should have done more-building regulations etc

So they introduced much tougher building regulations for bushfire prone areas and now people go on TV to moan they have been priced out of rebuilding.


We had a drought that lasted years. People were outraged the govt had not prepared for it as droughts happen every few years, but what with no new dams, population numbers increasing like crazy, we were short.

So the govt built a desal plant.
The drought broke and now people are moaning it should never have been built, too expensive, a white elephant etc

Truth is, people don't particularly like any govt spending good money on the future. They will moan there are more pressing needs now.

So good luck to your govt doing much, unless they can get in while it is all fresh in people's minds.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by whip » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:53 pm

gnads wrote:Okay forget the flooding

what about those on the coast getting hammered by high winds & huge seas

who's responsible for their plight?

People make choices...... they know the risks ... they have lived through it before

they will again

some people are made of sterner stuff ......

they don't just p*ss & moan & blame the govt. for inaction

what have you done toward the effort?
'' who's responsible for their plight? '' The environment agency and local authorities.

'' what have you done toward the effort? ' As one voice in the wilderness I would make very little or no impact upon what the government do.

It is a governments responsibility to protect their people from any major disaster thrown at them.
This government never had any contingent plans and was caught with their pants down.

WE poms are very resilient but, even we have a breaking point.
The Dunkirk spirit is fine but people cannot live like that forever.

Nearly half of England is designated a flood plain.
Paddy fields and houses on stilts would become the norm.
A silly scenario and possibly unworkable.
GB FIRST

User avatar
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 17058
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Saudi Shields

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by Pilot » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:02 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26023166


Maybe we should just get on with the little things life throws at us. How long ago was it they complained of drought, I do remember a hosepipe ban at my daughters last spring, which is just a few miles from the floods on the thames
I voted leave

Image

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by whip » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:05 pm

sherri wrote:
whip wrote: I appreciate that no one is in control of the weather.
My gripe was the total lack of response from the government.

When they did take notice after much complaining from the public and,
bad press reports they had meetings to blame each other. Unreal situation.

I understand to the best of information that this government had '' 8 '' cobra meetings and still nothing done.
They, the government IMHO should have acted much sooner sending the help to try and protect houses etc.

We elect these people to work on our behalf and mostly things go good.
On this occasion they have left the British public wanting
.
The govt is between a rock and a hard place.
After things calm down, they could do quite a few things to try to improve things in future.Ban building in some areas.
Make building regulations in some areas much tougher.
Put up taxes to cover massive improvements in drainage and flood prevention.

That would all go down like a lead balloon.

We had big bushfires here 5 years ago and everyone was screaming the govt was at fault on a lot of fronts and should have done more-building regulations etc

So they introduced much tougher building regulations for bushfire prone areas and now people go on TV to moan they have been priced out of rebuilding.


We had a drought that lasted years. People were outraged the govt had not prepared for it as droughts happen every few years, but what with no new dams, population numbers increasing like crazy, we were short.

So the govt built a desal plant.
The drought broke and now people are moaning it should never have been built, too expensive, a white elephant etc

Truth is, people don't particularly like any govt spending good money on the future. They will moan there are more pressing needs now.

So good luck to your govt doing much, unless they can get in while it is all fresh in people's minds.
I do not believe in this time of austerity this government will do anything to minimize the risk of flooding.
I have grave doubts they will give local authorities the money to build flood defences for sea erosion or other wise.

Quote '' Money is no object '' A blank cheque. I don't think so.
GB FIRST

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25254
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by sherri » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:42 pm

A blank cheque for anything?

Off the govt?

Good grief, no.

You are quite right there, whip.

Mind you, if what all the doomsayers predict is right and the extreme weather events are part of climate change, then any govt would need to start throwing a bucket of money at some of the problems, in places where it could help.

Instead of waiting for the same disasters in the same spots, year after year.

It will be interesting to see what happens eg in the next decade on both fronts.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by whip » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:13 pm

sherri wrote:A blank cheque for anything?

Off the govt?

Good grief, no.

You are quite right there, whip.

Mind you, if what all the doomsayers predict is right and the extreme weather events are part of climate change, then any govt would need to start throwing a bucket of money at some of the problems, in places where it could help.

Instead of waiting for the same disasters in the same spots, year after year.

It will be interesting to see what happens eg in the next decade on both fronts.

It will be interesting to see what is done, or not.
GB FIRST

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3335
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: Cebu City, Phillippines

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by max Headroom » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:18 pm

It is raining now must be climate change, where's a greenie tree hugger when you need one.
By attending a presentation or briefing, or accepting, accessing or reviewing this document you acknowledge, accept and agree to the matters set out above.

Post Reply

Return to “The Corner Shop”