Somerset and London area floods.

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4439
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Somerset and London area floods.

Post by whip » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:10 pm

There are times when I am ashamed to be English. Why ?
The dithering blame calling useless Government in office and there response to the flooding.

Man oh man do they need to stop bickering and get their fingers out of their arzes.
The most gormless plodding bunch of nincompoops known to man.

Rant over :)
GB FIRST

User avatar
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 17020
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Saudi Shields

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by Pilot » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:48 pm

If you buy a house on the rivers edge or on a flood plain you have to expect flooding from time to time !
I voted leave

Image

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4439
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by whip » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:16 pm

That is a lame argument to the dithering of this Government Pilot.

Those poor folk are suffering untold misery By cut backs and sheer incompetence of the offices of power.

It just boils my p*ss when they will not take any blame for their incompetence.

They have pledged too little too late.
Caught with their pants down and don't know which way to turn.
Headless chickens the lot of them.

I said gormless nincompoops and I mean't it.
GB FIRST

User avatar
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 17020
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Saudi Shields

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by Pilot » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:20 pm

I disagree they should insure against the flooding that they know will come sooner or later, its the people that give planning permission to build homes on flood plains who need a rethink, as far as the Thames is concerned those people spend years and year with a great view and a lot with a boat at its moorings at the bottom of the garden, then the inevitable happens and the Government is expected to hand out £140 million, insure yourselves !!!!! Cameron said money is no object, its not your money to give away !
I voted leave

Image

User avatar
J Jackson
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3168
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:10 pm
Location: 122 years in the future - we are all dead.

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by J Jackson » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:49 pm

[quote=“Pilot”]Cameron said theres an election next year so money is no object[/quote]

I think thats what you should of wrote Pilot :lol:

User avatar
tedster
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 5403
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:15 pm

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by tedster » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:58 pm

a friend of mine who lives in hebburn has been flooded out about 4 times in the past few years, she dont live on a flood plain or a river bank ,, all down to neglect of the drianage systems,, she had fought for seven years to get the work done by northumbria water and this year they finaly completed the work it cost a couple of million i think ,, not one councillor got involved,,,their a wast of space the lot of them :wink:

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7376
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by Mr Smith » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:08 pm

Lots of the flooded properties are uninsurable, so that's not the answer Pilot.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 17020
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Saudi Shields

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by Pilot » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:12 pm

I saw a picture recently, it was from the Somerset Levels, one house stood out, it was dry while all around was a lake, it turns out the owner knowing his house was on a flood plain built a drainage system all around his house, must have cost a bit but it worked, he knew it was needed and so does everyone else but they expect the taxpayer to bail them out, if you don't like water don't buy a house on a flood plain !!!! Mr Smith this guy insured against flooding by building drainage, you have to ask why would you buy a property that cant be insured then ask for handouts when the inevitable happens !
I voted leave

Image

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by sherri » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Pilot wrote:I disagree they should insure against the flooding that they know will come sooner or later, its the people that give planning permission to build homes on flood plains who need a rethink, as far as the Thames is concerned those people spend years and year with a great view and a lot with a boat at its moorings at the bottom of the garden, then the inevitable happens and the Government is expected to hand out £140 million, insure yourselves !!!!! Cameron said money is no object, its not your money to give away !
I think that is the main thing that needs questioning. If some properties have been flooded more than once and are uninsurable, when were they given building permits? If in the last century, then maybe councils should be buying certain streets out. If your govt is offering compensation, maybe it should be in return for the house, which can then be pulled down.

If it is the drains not up to the job, then councils need to make a financial budget and start putting in better drainage, a little at a time, starting with worst areas first.

A few days back I watched some internet video footage of storms/waves in England. I was amazed some people were walking or watching where it was clearly risky.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4439
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by whip » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:17 pm

Pilot wrote:I saw a picture recently, it was from the Somerset Levels, one house stood out, it was dry while all around was a lake, it turns out the owner knowing his house was on a flood plain built a drainage system all around his house, must have cost a bit but it worked, he knew it was needed and so does everyone else but they expect the taxpayer to bail them out, if you don't like water don't buy a house on a flood plain !!!! Mr Smith this guy insured against flooding by building drainage, you have to ask why would you buy a property that cant be insured then ask for handouts when the inevitable happens !
I feel sure they are not asking for hand outs Pilot.
They just want flood precautions to be operational as and when required.

Dredging and drainage systems that can cope in extreme weather conditions for instance.
With all the cut backs and austerity today it is not going to happen to a point of excellence.

The other day the MPs had an extraordinary meeting about.. The 5p rise for their cup of tea :roll:
The floods have been on going since Christmas and only just this week they do something.

I feel all MPs want is the trappings of office and no responsibility.
GB FIRST

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7376
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by Mr Smith » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:23 pm

I can see drains handling situations like this!

Look at the idiot on the right of the photo.

Image
Last edited by Mr Smith on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3286
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:39 am
Location: St Petersburg, Russia

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by max Headroom » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:41 am

The only one I see has a mr smith under it.
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 4439
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by whip » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:28 am

Mr Smith wrote:I can see drains handling situations like this!

Look at the idiot on the right of the photo.

Image
Of course a drain would be very useless against such growler waves like that shown.
We cannot of course control the weather.

What any Government in power in England can do is make our lives easier.
That being spending money on effective flood schemes.

When a disaster happens abroad we send millions of £s instantly.
Why can it not be a positive thing like that if we in England have a disaster.

As for the statement '' Money will be no object '' I find rather bizarre.
I bet all the folk along the coast who's houses are threatened with the inroads of the sea will not get sea walls built.
They need it as well. Just a ploy to make the PM look good IMHO.

WE have to kick up a stink and get near riots going before those in power take note.
GB FIRST

User avatar
tedster
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 5403
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:15 pm

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by tedster » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:50 pm

just been watching the news some councils are charging for sand bags,,, :wink:

User avatar
sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 25207
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:14 am
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by sherri » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:17 pm

tedster wrote:just been watching the news some councils are charging for sand bags,,, :wink:
Ah, I see.

Money is no object..... as long as the taxpayer is paying. :wink:
Mr Smith wrote:
Look at the idiot on the right of the photo.

Image
I wonder what was going through his head when he saw that wave? I would have been running for the house (and not much makes me run these days). Even in there I would not have felt safe.

User avatar
J Jackson
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3168
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:10 pm
Location: 122 years in the future - we are all dead.

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by J Jackson » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:00 pm

Mr Smith wrote:I can see drains handling situations like this!

Look at the idiot on the right of the photo.

Image

What is the small white thing showing in the wave ?

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7376
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by Mr Smith » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:18 pm

I think they are called seagulls JJ :)
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
J Jackson
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 3168
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:10 pm
Location: 122 years in the future - we are all dead.

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by J Jackson » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:34 pm

Wonder if his mates are saying,look at that idiot while discussing the price of sand-bags ?

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7376
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by Mr Smith » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:51 pm

J Jackson wrote:Wonder if his mates are saying,look at that idiot while discussing the price of sand-bags ?
Isn't sandbagging urban slang?
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 11905
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:20 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Somerset and London area floods.

Post by gnads » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:41 am

Looks you you are having the wet Dec, Jan, feb we had last year.

As for the people who live on flood plains & are bleating about Govt. inaction .... I'd say "Stiff cheese".

Pilot is 100 % right .... the blame lays solely with the occupant & those that allowed houses to built there.

Unless you are speaking of physical/infrastructure insurance, then houses built in known flood zones will not
be insurable.

It's the same here...... we had a huge flood in 1974..... affected the whole state of QLD..... they held an enquiry regarding
housing in low lying areas & relocation was advised.....however they then built a large flood mitigation dam upstream from Brisbane
& it was going to stop any repeats of 1974....... so those houses in low lying areas remained & they built new estates on low lying areas.

Well 2011 saw that tested well & truly with another huge deluge that the flood dam couldn't handle..... resulting in all those low lying areas taking another drowning
& Insurance companies refusing to honour claims........... even though they had been taking peoples money since 1974.

The same can be said about those who choose to live in the bush ....... bush fires are a reality here........ your choice = your risk.

The risk mitigation is all on you.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

Post Reply

Return to “The Corner Shop”