Metal Detecting Finds

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Metal Detecting Finds

Post by Noggin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:48 pm

Found over the weekend by one Lucky Lucky detectorist on a club dig is this Amazing and Life Changing Hoard of Saxon Jewellery from what is believed to be a BARROW !, or a Saxon Grave Site to you and me . The items below are only a few of what was rescued from a 2ft x 2ft hole dug before it was re-covered back over awaiting the Archeologists !. They consist of 2 Hair pins, Brooches, cloak clasps which are all Beautifully decorated and incorporated with stones of some sort !. Only people of High status and Importance were befitting of such Baubles, the finder of these objects will in no doubt receive a life changing sum of Money from the BM ( British Museum ) if they are declared treasure !, he'll also go down in the History books with this Significantly important find to his name . . Just wish it had been moi ! . I will update and keep you informed as to the progress and findings from this Dig . :wink: .

Here's the Lucky chap who found it . . :wink: . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjZS6jWFM0A

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Excellent.

You know, if I had come across them, I suppose I would have had to ask someone what era they were from. They look old, but I would probably have assumed maybe 100 years old or something like that.

Do most enthusiasts have an idea of the age of the things they find, when they find them?

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:02 pm

A very nice find with the 'jewelled' pieces being similar in manufacture to those discovered in the Sutton Hoo ship burial. The stones are almost surely garnets. The pectoral cross found in the coffin of St Cuthbert, and now on display in Durham Cathedral was made in a similar way.

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:20 pm

In answer to Sherri's query most detectorists HATED history in school :shock: , but since taking up the Wand ( Metal Detector ) they sharp learn the difference in styles whether it be Victorian, Viking, Saxon, Medievel Etc Etc Etc !!!. I do believe that the stones in those Saxon pieces are Garnets rather than Rubys as said in the video !, and yes you are right that they are Wonderful pieces with a lot more to come out of the possible BARROW ( Grave Site ) they were found in !.
Greg, the guy who found them is a Great Guy, he honestly deserves all the Recognition he gets concerning this Historical and Significant find. . :wink:

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:14 pm

Noggin wrote:In answer to Sherri's query most detectorists HATED history in school :shock: , but since taking up the Wand ( Metal Detector ) they sharp learn the difference in styles whether it be Victorian, Viking, Saxon, Medievel Etc Etc Etc !!!. I do believe that the stones in those Saxon pieces are Garnets rather than Rubys as said in the video !, and yes you are right that they are Wonderful pieces with a lot more to come out of the possible BARROW ( Grave Site ) they were found in !.
Greg, the guy who found them is a Great Guy, he honestly deserves all the Recognition he gets concerning this Historical and Significant find. . :wink:
I enjoyed history and still do.
Not all history matters but certain eras.

I have obtained a few good reading books upon the subjects.
I also have done a lot of then and now research.

I was starting an album with Photographs of a certain place for them, but,
unfortunately they died before I could complete the project.
GB FIRST

J Jackson
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by J Jackson » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Noggin wrote:[Look at the GARRETT ACE 250 METAL DETECTOR !, Cheap and very capable of finding your El Dorado . Check out vids on youtube . . :wink:

I should receive delivery of it tomorrow . Now just got to think of a way of explaining to Mrs J that it is not a waste of money like the unicycle I bought myself :lol:
Pilot voted leave.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:09 pm

You can use the unicycle to travel to some local fields to do some detecting.
Tell her your finds will pay for your purchases in no time. :wink:

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:48 am

I once found a queen Victoria half a crown and in good condition. But blowed if I know what I did with it.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:31 pm

Found by a member of our club on a dig yesterday 02/03/2014 , such a Rare Medievel Ring in Very Very Good condition. Not sure as to the Markings yet but some are saying it may be Masonic !!!. Will keep ya posted on this one !!! . :wink:

Someone also found this Pigeon Ring with the Bone still in Situ . Shows not all finds are the elusive treasure ya may be looking for ! . :lol:

champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Image :lol: :wink:

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:34 pm

champion. wrote:Image :lol: :wink:
WRONG LEG CHAMPION :)
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Only you could comeback with a reply like that Mr Smith, nice one..... :lol: :wink:

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Noggin wrote:Found by a member of our club on a dig yesterday 02/03/2014 , such a Rare Medievel Ring in Very Very Good condition. Not sure as to the Markings yet but some are saying it may be Masonic !!!. Will keep ya posted on this one !!! . :wink:
Someone also found this Pigeon Ring with the Bone still in Situ . Shows not all finds are the elusive treasure ya may be looking for ! . :lol:

The GB signifies that the pigeon was registered with the Royal Racing Pigeon Association. the number 95 is the
year of the pigeons birth. The rest of what's on the ring would identify it.

champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Mr Smith wrote:
WRONG LEG CHAMPION :)
Image :lol:

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:44 pm

Sorry, but you haven't got a leg to stand on! :)

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:03 am

Here's a link explaining the possible design to the patterns on the shoulders of the ring !, appears to be a Tau Cross, Such crosses are thought to be connected with a desire to ward off the effects of Ergot poisoning, widespread in the late 15 century, caused by rotten grain. . . :wink:

http://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/464405

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:24 pm

Mr Smith wrote:
Noggin wrote:Found by a member of our club on a dig yesterday 02/03/2014 , such a Rare Medievel Ring in Very Very Good condition. Not sure as to the Markings yet but some are saying it may be Masonic !!!. Will keep ya posted on this one !!! . :wink:

The GB signifies that the pigeon was registered with the Royal Racing Pigeon Association. the number 95 is the
By the look of the evidence I would say that there was fowl play. No it was not Rooster Cogburn as he has a good alibi.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:56 am

Globalmyths wrote:
Mr Smith wrote:

By the look of the evidence I would say that there was fowl play. No it was not Rooster Cogburn as he has a good alibi.

" Ok, i own up, here it is " . . :cry:

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:25 am

Noggin, looking at the bronze ring, it seems unusual as when worn the 'shield' would have been viewed as on its side. Do you suppose it might have been used for imprinting wax seals? An interesting find anyway.

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:08 am

ralph wrote:Noggin, looking at the bronze ring, it seems unusual as when worn the 'shield' would have been viewed as on its side. Do you suppose it might have been used for imprinting wax seals? An interesting find anyway.
Yes Ralph, you are right, it's probably a Seal Ring ! :) . We are trying to configure the Shoulder Symbols !, all we can come up with is that it's a ' Tau Cross ' used to Ward Off Ergot poisoning, widespread in the late 15 century, caused by rotten grain. :wink:

Here's a Gold one that is missing its Loop that would have been worn around the neck . . :)

http://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/464405

Return to “The Corner Shop”