Metal Detecting Finds

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Metal Detecting Finds

Post by Noggin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:46 pm

Here's a Short Cross- King John- Cut Half Silver Penny- Class.5- c1205.AD , the Monier / Mint actually cut the pennies and distributed them as Half Pennies, they also cut them into Quarters too along the centre's of the Cross or Tails side of the coin. . Actual coin size is approx same as a New Penny . :wink:

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Metal Detecting Finds

Post by Noggin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:51 pm

Here's an Organ Plaque i found that will make ya Chuckle Muscles Twitch a bit . . :lol:

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:55 pm

George III 1797 Cartwheel Penny. Everyone of these Bear the same Date, known as a Cartwheel due to size and weight. Not many come out of the ground in good condition, have only ever found 2 and both in this condition as are many others i have seen . . :)

Tell me when ya get Bored with this Thread/ Post and i'll give it a Rest ! . . :lol:

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Medievel Patterned Lead Drop Spindle Whorl, . Lots of these are found due to the ladies spending their time spinning wool in the fields whilst their men were out Ploughing or Gathering crops, nice to find patterned ones. . :D

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:21 pm

Interesting.

By any chance do you do any re search of the area you are going to search ?
Upon going by what you have found and explained you do not come across as a novice.
GB FIRST

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Only took up detecting as a Hobby 18 months ago, i research all aspects of the land i detect upon, whether it's been Horse-Ploughed or by Machine !, depth of Plough if by machine !, type of crops past and present, or if always been pasture !. Check for ground markings from Ariel Pics, any Forded rivers, Roman, Saxon, or Medievel Occupation. I could go on but i won't Bore anyone with the details . A Novice i am, Educated i may be !, Patience i have . . :wink:

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:54 pm

This may not look much but it's a Saxon Sleeve Clasp, yet to be logged with the FLO ( Finds Laison Officer ) at Newcastle University. Approx 1.5inches long and made of Bronze, would have been intricately decorated and coloured as a Lady would have possibly worn it to fasten her Sleeves/ Cuffs . Would have been sown through the holes, and hooked onto another small hook via the Slot. :)

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:03 pm

Nice feeling when you turn a Sod over and something like this catches your eye . We call this a ' Clod Shot ' . Or as i like to say it's a ' History Reborn ' shot , and i'm the Midwife . . :wink:

History Resurrected is a Learning Curve to our Past ! . . :wink:

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:24 pm

Not one of my finds but had to show it, found by a member of the club i attend is this Small but Beautiful Bronze Age Axe Head, could have possibly been a Votive Offering as the Celts were known to offer lots of things to the Gods, even Human Lives . This axe head could be as early as 500.BC !!! . :)

champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:44 pm

Noggin wrote:George III 1797 Cartwheel Penny. Everyone of these Bear the same Date, known as a Cartwheel due to size and weight. Not many come out of the ground in good condition, have only ever found 2 and both in this condition as are many others i have seen . . :)

Tell me when ya get Bored with this Thread/ Post and i'll give it a Rest ! . . :lol:

:lol: Image
:lol: ..Sorry Noggin just messing around..keep the piccies coming :wink:

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:34 pm

:lol: Nay Probs mate, i do a bit messin aroond me'sel . . :lol:

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:42 pm

My only George III Silver Shilling dated 1816, also known as a ' Bull Head ' shilling due to his Obese Portrait portrayed on the coinage . . :wink:

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Noggin wrote::lol: i do a bit messin aroond me'sel . . :lol:
Dorty bugga :)
Last edited by Mr Smith on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:44 pm

Mr Smith wrote:
Noggin wrote::lol: Nay Probs mate, i do a bit messin aroond me'sel . . :lol:
Dorty bugga :)

:lol: Dorty Gyet ya mean . . 8)

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:45 pm

What a great thread, Noggin. It must be exciting to find some of those things. I have to admit, I would never have known what some of them were! Spindle whorl and sleeve clasp!
The woman who mislaid the spindle whorl could never have guessed it would be found in an age when most women would be hard pressed to identify a spindle, let alone a spindle whorl. :D

J Jackson
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by J Jackson » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Great post mate. Doubt theres a bloke on the planet that doesn’t want to try a metal detector ,definitely on my bucket list. What are your rights if you find something really valuable and how deep do you have to dig on your average find ?
Pilot voted leave.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:20 pm

Such sexism, JJ! :lol:
Every man on the planet? I will have you know I wouldn't mind giving it a go either.
Might have to train myself first to recognize a gold nugget if I saw it though. :wink:

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:29 pm

J Jackson wrote:Great post mate. Doubt theres a bloke on the planet that doesn’t want to try a metal detector ,definitely on my bucket list. What are your rights if you find something really valuable and how deep do you have to dig on your average find ?
If you find anything of Great value then there is usually a General Rule of a 50/50 split with the landowner, Artefacts that have to or may be declared as Treasure have to be a Minimum of 300 years old and have at least 10% of Precious metal Content Gold or Silver, unless they are of National importance which will be decided by the Coroner !.
Here's a couple of examples of 2 Major finds of importance that made their finders and Landowners overnight Millionaires :wink: .
The Helmet was not Declared as Treasure and was sold privately for approx 2million pounds, on the other hand the Staffordshire Hoard was Declared Treasure and was bought by the Museum for i think 3million pound. Both detectorists were virtually Amateurs and were using Bottom of the range Semi Professional metal detectors, one was bought New for approx £160, and the other was bought at a carboot for i believe £25 !. The staffordshire Hoard was found with the Carboot detector. . :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-24692571

http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk/

Noggin
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Noggin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:30 pm

sherri wrote:Such sexism, JJ! :lol:
Every man on the planet? I will have you know I wouldn't mind giving it a go either.
Might have to train myself first to recognize a gold nugget if I saw it though. :wink:
My 2 detecting buddies are actually of the Female Species . . :lol:

J Jackson
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by J Jackson » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:40 pm

If you found something of value, could you not take it home, bury it in your own garden and find it again on the sly to score yourself a few more quid ?
Pilot voted leave.

Return to “The Corner Shop”