Bri, Mr. Smith, Westoelad, etc

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

danet

Bri, Mr. Smith, Westoelad, etc

Post by danet » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:42 am

Oh my goodness, I have just been asked to be a 'wedding photographer' because they love my photos I take :shock: :D

I must say, I am a tad bit nervous, so any hints or tips will be appreciated, as I have a Nikon D5100 with a Tamron 18 - 200 mm lens. It will be during the afternoon, so no problems of night time photography and challenging lights.

I told the bride to be, to make a list of people that are to be in group photos, so none get missed out, as usually happens in the haze of wedding days, some combination is overlooked and only noticed after the wedding photos come back.

So, any more tips or hints I would so appreciate. :)

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Bri, Mr. Smith, Westoelad, etc

Post by gnads » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:36 am

Just wing it Danet ... she'll be right...if it's a love job they can take it or leave it.. tight arzes.

I'm sure you will do a good job ....... at worrying yourself .... & of the photos :D :P
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:38 am

danet wrote:Oh my goodness, I have just been asked to be a 'wedding photographer' because they love my photos I take :shock: :D

I must say, I am a tad bit nervous, so any hints or tips will be appreciated, as I have a Nikon D5100 with a Tamron 18 - 200 mm lens. It will be during the afternoon, so no problems of night time photography and challenging lights.

I told the bride to be, to make a list of people that are to be in group photos, so none get missed out, as usually happens in the haze of wedding days, some combination is overlooked and only noticed after the wedding photos come back.

Don't have the groups standing in the shade of tree or any shade for that matter.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:51 am

Make sure that you have plenty of fully charged batteries, and if possible a back up camera.
Take loads of shots of just about anything that moves and loads of anything that doesn't
move. You can always throw away shots you don't want but you can't go back to take those
you missed. As gnads says, wing it and enjoy it, remember you're a guest as well as the
photographer, enjoy. ;)
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:14 am

as long as you stay away from the groyne area danet

you should do ok
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:49 am

danet wrote:Oh my goodness, I have just been asked to be a 'wedding photographer' because they love my photos I take :shock: :D

OH dear me.
They will get what they asked for.
One need to have a bit of experience to take good wedding photo's.
I should just sit back and do nowt lass. By far the better thing to do.
GB FIRST

brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:44 am

Just go for it girl, give it your best shot, pardon the pun, and youll do alright. :D

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:50 am

whip wrote:

OH dear me.
I should just sit back and do nowt lass. By far the better thing to do.[/quote
Pray tell me Mr. Whippy how do you get experience?
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:26 pm

Globalmyths wrote:
whip wrote:

OH dear me.
I should just sit back and do nowt lass. By far the better thing to do.[/quote
Pray tell me Mr. Whippy how do you get experience?

Of course one gain experience by doing things on an on going project but,
On such a big and special occasion would you hire a novice.
GB FIRST

danet

Post by danet » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:03 pm

You would be surprised that this "novice" has taken a myriad of wedding photos that those wedded couples have chosen to enlarge as their fave, over the pro's. 8) (this is including Sherri's daughter recently got married I am chuffed to say 8) ) It's the passion I have for it, I absolutely love photography, and have usually been more into sports photography taking some acclaimed photos in that area.
I have taken a lot of family photos for these people recently, (as I wanted to start learning portraits, such as Mr. Smith does) and they like my style, so it's an honour to be asked, but I just want more info to make it really perfect, and I think what Mr. Smith said is exactly what I was thinking of today, to take another camera along, and I phoned the camera shop to ask about hiring one for the occasion, they have a Nikon 40D with flash etc for $50 for the day. I was reading the specs and it takes good fast photos. I will just have a dangle of cameras on me and take photos of eveything as advised.
Having a back up camera is what I will do, and will go into the camera store and check it out more, which will make me feel more prepared for any hiccups, should it happen, as we all know usually does on any given day you want things to go smoothly :lol:
The good thing I have noticed about weddings, is that everyone has a camera just about, and many do take good photos also. So it's not like there will be a shortage of photo opportunities.
The bride to be, is a stunning girl, with light coloured auburn hair, and a beautiful complexion, she is a breeze to photograph. And that's the main thing, as long as the bride is the best of all of them.

The back up camera is the way to go, Mr. Smith has confirmed what I had been thinking of all day :D

I was expecting to do this next year in November, but the wedding is going to be a 'surprise wedding' and is happening this December instead :shock: , so having thought I had plenty of time to think about it all. Surprise wedding as it, having it as a engagement to start with, then it turns into a wedding ceremony. The guests are going to be delightfully surprised okay.

And yes, I would hire a 'novice' if money is an issue, because, the most expensive item for weddings is the pro photographers, and you only get so many photos printed in abook that they do.
These people will be given all the photos I take, and they make their own photos book. I can tell you, recently looking at Sherri's photobooks she made online herself, of her daughter's wedding, are absolutely superb =D>

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:18 pm

Send me return tickets and a wedding invite and I'll carry your bag Danet....honest :D
I voted leave

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:22 pm

danet wrote:You would be surprised that this "novice" has taken a myriad of wedding photos that those wedded couples have chosen to enlarge as their fave, over the pro's. 8) (this is including Sherri's daughter recently got married I am chuffed to say 8) ) It's the passion I have for it, I absolutely love photography, and have usually been more into sports photography taking some acclaimed photos in that area.
I have taken a lot of family photos for these people recently, (as I wanted to start learning portraits, such as Mr. Smith does) and they like my style, so it's an honour to be asked, but I just want more info to make it really perfect, and I think what Mr. Smith said is exactly what I was thinking of today, to take another camera along, and I phoned the camera shop to ask about hiring one for the occasion, they have a Nikon 40D with flash etc for $50 for the day. I was reading the specs and it takes good fast photos. I will just have a dangle of cameras on me and take photos of eveything as advised.
Having a back up camera is what I will do, and will go into the camera store and check it out more, which will make me feel more prepared for any hiccups, should it happen, as we all know usually does on any given day you want things to go smoothly :lol:
The good thing I have noticed about weddings, is that everyone has a camera just about, and many do take good photos also. So it's not like there will be a shortage of photo opportunities.
The bride to be, is a stunning girl, with light coloured auburn hair, and a beautiful complexion, she is a breeze to photograph. And that's the main thing, as long as the bride is the best of all of them.

The back up camera is the way to go, Mr. Smith has confirmed what I had been thinking of all day :D

I was expecting to do this next year in November, but the wedding is going to be a 'surprise wedding' and is happening this December instead :shock: , so having thought I had plenty of time to think about it all. Surprise wedding as it, having it as a engagement to start with, then it turns into a wedding ceremony. The guests are going to be delightfully surprised okay.

And yes, I would hire a 'novice' if money is an issue, because, the most expensive item for weddings is the pro photographers, and you only get so many photos printed in abook that they do.
These people will be given all the photos I take, and they make their own photos book. I can tell you, recently looking at Sherri's photobooks she made online herself, of her daughter's wedding, are absolutely superb =D>
If possible with your experience danet could you take some photos of WW2 bunkers with nice big gun slits.
Then, send the said photos to gnads so he could choose the nicest one to shoot me out of :roll:
GB FIRST

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:39 pm

danet wrote:
I am sure you will do a great job. As MrSmith says, just take a lot of photos. Some won't cut the mustard, as Kass used to say, but in amongst them will be some good ones.
I don't have any expert advice, but if I were doing it myself, I would just make sure that as well as taking lots of photos, I slowed down at the key moments, to make sure I got at least one decent shot of them, steady, in focus, no one's heads or hands in the way etc. You'll be the official photographer so you'll be able to get yourself into position. But just make sure to get at least one decent one of the key moments-the ring being slipped on her finger, the kiss, cutting the cake etc

You can start your arty ones of table settings or venue from the moment you arrive, so you will have more time to set those up.

Oh and I don't want to depress you as I know you have it all in front of you, :D but the photographer isn't the most expensive item for weddings. :D It is only one of the expensive items. The cars, the wedding dress, not to forget the reception... the list goes on. I am sure the moment some businesses hear the word wedding they double the price.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:48 pm

Whatever you do ignore PInocchino nose Whip
He's done everything & nothing
Must be 650 yrs old
As well as a plonker.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:42 pm

gnads wrote:Whatever you do ignore PInocchino nose Whip
He's done everything & nothing
Must be 650 yrs old
As well as a plonker.

Tut Tut lad. You should try developing the photographs instead of delivering negatives.
GB FIRST

Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:56 am

Danet the bride is a lucky girl to have you as the photographer. The wedding I went to last weekend the photographer took off before the reception and all photos of cake cutting etc are pretend and not the real thing. This particular photographer is the most expensive in Hervey Bay and also the worst dressed person I saw all day. Until she left everything revolved around her and not the bride, she said jump and everyone said how high.

You are terrific with your camera and you will do just fine.
Life doesn't have an undo button

danet

Post by danet » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:37 am

Funny you should say that Rosie, my friend's son got married and I noticed that the photographer does not stay for the reception, not even for the bridal party entering the reception. I didn't know this at the time, so I took photos of my friend and her husband, and the rest of the briday party entering the reception. Not thinking anything more of it, and would you believe, I was THE ONLY ONE that took photos of that entrance. These are the only photos they have of it. Wow, this proves I must never 'assume' that it is going to be taken by anyone else, even the pro photographer. And yes, I recall my son's gf's sister getting married and their photographer was the sloppiest dressed person, with shirt hanging half tucked in and the rest hanging out. I will certain be well dressed, as you know I love to be :D

I usually also love going around and taking photos of all the guests on the table as well. But as you say Sherri, me being the official photographer, I get in first for the best position to take the photos, then I will step back and let others take photos also of the special moments, as people usually like to do :) I am excited about this, but also nervous, as I think that's normal. The fact we know each other makes it nice, and more personal, so we can communicate more effectively. I will most certainly ask what they would like me to do and also, to write a list of the rellies to be in the photos so none miss out in the official family portraits.

My friend has just recently asked me to take family portraits of the family with all the grandkids and babies, and she paid me for it, and there are some beautiful photos they treasure.
In a 2 hour sessions for instance, I can take something like 400 photos. Doncha just luv digital! Imagine in the day, with film camera, how expensive that would have been!

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:00 am

Yeah & ya wouldnee give a TInkers cuss or 2 bob for what Whip thought he thought.

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:55 am

Do all photographers make snap decisions?

Fatlad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Fatlad » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:55 pm

danet as there is no cost for film these days just shoot 100s of photos and your bound to get a few good ones to choose from
the toon, where did it all go wonga

Return to “The Corner Shop”