Pub names

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Pub names

Post by jeff »

With pubs closing at an alarming rate we shall also be losing some of the more unusual names.
What unusual pub names do you have in your neck of the woods, and what is the particular significance of the name?
One which I like down here, near Tetbury, is the Trouble House-- conjures up all sorts of images of times past.

radstockjeff
There's nothing wrong with being mediocre........as long as you're good at it!

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Pub names

Post by anna »

talking about Pub names , i found a canny little story ...Turks Head in Tynemouth, it is probably better known to many drinkers by it’s slightly macabre nickname, the Stuffed Dog.

So the story goes one day in 1873 Willie the sheep dog and his master were driving a flock from the Cheviots through North Shields when the wooly-headed animals, frightened by the noise of the town, scattered in all directions.

While rounding them up, Willie was separated from his master and by the time he returned to the quayside the shepherd had gone. Inconsolable, the dog remained on the spot for months, living on scraps of food thrown to him by passers-by and refusing to allow anyone near him. Eventually, almost starved to death, he was taken on to the Shields ferry and thrown overboard to put him out of his misery but he scrambled ashore and for months went back and forth to the ferry in the hope of finding his master.

Tyneside’s answer to Greyfriars Bobby eventually died in 1880.

His body was stuffed and mounted in a glass case in the pub, hence the nickname.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

That's a sad story about the dog, Anna.
Not much imagination in names where I live.
The nearest pub to my place is called the Hallam Hotel.
It's in Hallam. :D

tedster
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by tedster »

heres a pic of willie

:wink:

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... »

pffft......... willie

not a shadow on Red Dog...

it's not rocket surgery... :5dunce:

Bushmermaid
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Bushmermaid »

My old hometown with a population of 3500 people has a sh!load of pubs that all do a roaring trade.

Tattersalls Hotel (Tatts)
Toppy Tavern
The Post Office (Postie)
The Globe Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Metropolitan Hotel (Metro)
The Empire Hotel
The White Tank Hotel (The Tank)

Then there is three clubs......RSL, Bowling Club, & The Country Club/Golf Club.

I find the pub at Tarago (near Goulburn) has an amusing name.....The Loaded Dog Hotel

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph »

Thanks Ted for posting the photo of 'Willie'. The first time I went into the 'Turks Head' and saw him, I was deeply moved by the story, and was glad to see that he had been preserved, as a tribute to his loyalty.

It reminded me of an accident that happened on the River Tyne some years ago, and Pilot may remember the details. One foggy day, the Pilot Cutter collided with a foy-boat (the sort of boat used by the men who assisted with mooring ships, either at buoys on the river, or quaysides) and a couple of men were drowned, one being 'old' Dickie West and I believe the other man was called Adams.

Mr Adams had a very big Alsatian dog that was always with him when I used to see them at the Quay. On the day the accident occurred he must have left his dog behind. Sadly Mr Adams' body was never recovered, but thereafter, and for a long time, whenever I went down the quay, I used to see his dog waiting there, staring at the river, waiting for his master to return. It was such a sad sight.

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Yes I remember it well, I was at college at the time in Liverpool and when we arrived our lecturer told us the news, the skipper and deck hand of the cutter I knew very well, the deck hand only recently retired I think, although he spent his last working years as a security man at Tyne Dock, the skipper was very badly affected by the accident and the wife of the foyboatman who was killed and never recovered, used to walk the dog down to the pilot jetty often. It was in the days before the pilot cutter got radar. :( I was just thinking back and Adams didnt sound right the guy who's body was never found was called Addision.
I voted leave

tone
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by tone »

found this about the post anna made

Tucked away on the second floor is Ralph Hedley’s portrait of Ralph Cruickshanks, painted in 1903.

Ralph Cruickshanks worked on the steam ferries between North and South Shields for 43 years. He retired in 1899, and worked as a picture framer and gilder in South Shields until his death in 1897.

Cruickshanks was known for having taken in the Border Collie, ‘Wandering Willie’.

In 1873, a shepherd was driving a flock of sheep from the Cheviot Hills in Northumberland to the Cleveland hills. At the ferry between North Shields and South Shields, he thought he was missing a sheep and sent his dog to look for it. After the dog had gone he counted his sheep again and found they were all there, so he continued his journey, and left the dog behind.

The dog wandered around North and South Shields and crossed and re-crossed the Tyne on the ferry, looking for its master. The dog searched for years and earned the name ‘Wandering Willie’,. Eventually, when it was old and ill, Ralph Cruickshanks took it in.

When the dog died in the early 1880s it was preserved and, if you’d like to go and say ‘hello’, Wandering Willie is now to be found in the bar of the Turk’s Head Hotel, Front Street, Tynemouth.

If you want more of the story of Wandering Willie , it’s in the Monthly chronicle of North-country lore and legend, May 1889, vol.3 no.27, p.233-4, ‘Wandering Willie’ by Thomas Hudson – you can find it on line at http://archive.org/stream/monthlychroni ... 2/mode/2up
There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.

Winston Churchill

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by westoelad »

The Spit and Vomit

026 O'NEILL'S (Originally THE VIC & COMET or 'THE SPIT & VOMIT' as the regulars affectionately used to caall it!)

http://www.geordietimes.com/2011/08/geo ... lenge.html

StottieCake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by StottieCake »

The "Shoulder of Mutton and Cucumbers" was a pub in Yapton, Sussex - I think it closed down since the smoking ban

What a fab name though =D>

Sandyman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandyman »

Cruickshanks was known for having taken in the Border Collie, ‘Wandering Willie’.

I used to have a Wandering Willie.

But since I got Old, lost my Hair and discivered Red Wine it's now called my Stay at Home and Flop Around Willie

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

The Norfolk and Suffolk known by its nickname The 2 fu*ks.

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O »

Jarrow Pete wrote:The Norfolk and Suffolk known by its nickname The 2 fu*ks.
Wow, and this is in Curly's shop?

I was thinking about the best Pub (we call them bars or saloons on this side of the pond), and the most imaginative saloon I have been in was in Cody, Wyoming when I was a very young engineer.

It was a long "skinny" saloon......say 16 feet wide and maybe 60 feet long divided into two rooms. When you enter, there is a sign at the entrance that says...

"Liquor in the front....Poker in the rear".

This was before the song with that verbiage came out. As a young engineer (28 years old), I was impressed with this. #-o

BTW - the rear of the bar was about the same as the front of it........I was very disillusioned. :(

Bushmermaid
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Bushmermaid »

^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beachbum
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Beachbum »

Years ago, I was dating a lady from Lewiston New York which is near Buffalo.

They had a bar there officially called the Rathskeller, but everyone knew it as the Bloody Bucket.

martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

This side of the water the Seine Boat nicknamed the "Ridges" or the "Flying Stool".

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

lovley photo of willie Ted....enjoyed your video to Blue ,very nicley put together,and a nice little story, but a little bit far fetched :D

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... »

washs ur mouth out anna... true story, every bit of it...

buy your mam this DVD.... she'll love you 4eva... :D

it's not rocket surgery... :5dunce:

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Daddy O wrote:
Jarrow Pete wrote:The Norfolk and Suffolk known by its nickname The 2 fu*ks.

Wow, and this is in Curly's shop?

I was thinking about the best Pub (we call them bars or saloons on this side of the pond), and the most imaginative saloon I have been in was in Cody, Wyoming when I was a very young engineer.

It was a long "skinny" saloon......say 16 feet wide and maybe 60 feet long divided into two rooms. When you enter, there is a sign at the entrance that says...

"Liquor in the front....Poker in the rear".

This was before the song with that verbiage came out. As a young engineer (28 years old), I was impressed with this. #-o

BTW - the rear of the bar was about the same as the front of it........I was very disillusioned. :(
There was no sexual connection with the nickname,it was derived from the way we pronounce Suffolk and Norfolk,we say
Norfuck and Suffuck

Return to “The Corner Shop”