Post by Rosie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:04 pm

A very interesting read Blue, thanks =D>
Life doesn't have an undo button

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Australia, One For Danet...

Post by Blue... » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:40 am

danet wrote:Amazing! So close up, I could taste the dust in my mouth! .
that was the best mining tour we've been on... Kalgoorlie was pretty good, Mt Whaleback was so so...

the guy who was running the tour used to drive trains for the mines so he knew what he was doing and how to get us close... he says that the senior drivers are now on $260,000 PA... a lot more that when he was driving..

but the higher the unions push these wages then the industry will look at other option... this is what i've been saying about australia... its getting too bloated in wages..

now guess what.... the mining industry is now going to go to driverless trains.... RIO Tinto will be driverless by 2015 i think they said...

the truck drivers will be the next to go...

the amount of money you will earn will depend on what shifts you can get... at Tom Price its a week on a week off unless you live at TP

but at Mt Whaleback they work 2 weeks on and 1 week off...... so you work more hours and get more $$$$$$$

it's not rocket surgery... :5dunce:

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:42 pm

I think some of the trucks in the underground mine in Mount Isa are remote controlled as are the drills for the explosives.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:36 am

ok, we all know how sherri is always banging on about her snorkelling adventures on her "cruise ship" holidays so here are a few (below average) pictures, for you sherri, of when we snorkelled the Ningaloo Reef at Exmouth WA recently... to get the great quality colours out of any reef you need professional lighting as the water filters out the colour... I did the best that I could with the equipment that I had... a small Sony water proof camera....

Last edited by Blue... on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:40 am

Great shots you should be proud of those.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Australia, Some for Precious Sherri...

Post by Blue... » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks Global... :)

Now here’s a Utube that I did of some drift snorkelling at Ningaloo at one of the bays that had a heavy current that ran the length of the beach... you dump your thongs and stuff at one end of the beach, walked up to the other end.. swam out ad just let the current take you down back to the other end of the beach..... get out a that end before you get swept out to sea mind you...

It took me a bit to get the hang of it because if you saw something you liked and kept the camera on it you’d end up drifting backwards then turn back around into some giant fish that scares the crappers out of you... I was only in shallow as I didn’t want to get into trouble being a solo snorkeler on this day...

and again... sorry about the quality..

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:04 am

strewth.. im having real trouble viewing that utube... its perfect on my computer but when its uploaded its crap.. :cry:

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:09 am

Well done, excellent to have all that in shallow water.

But what's this "precious' and ' always banging on about"...
[-X

Just occasionally mention it, that's all. :D

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:18 am

Those black spotted dart fish sherri were in just 2 foot of water... not sure why they like to hang around you so closely... it freaks you out a bit... some fish like to see themselves in your goggles and come up right close.. !!!
Some of those fish were 2 foot long and 6 to 8 inches thick and don’t seem to be bothered by you swimming by.. the amount of fish in the water was incredible both and monkey mia areas....

I didn’t see the black tipped Reef shark that the Mrs was pointing at... by the time I looked after taking that picture he was gone underneath the reef and away... saw a white tipped reef shark from the glass bottomed boat that we were in and after we got back on board our Captain told us about the tiger shark that regularly visits the area.... gulp...

I still have a few more pictures of Tom Price, Karigini Natpark and Newman that I have to sort out before we pushed further north... if I haven’t bored everyone to death already.. ;)

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:55 pm

Nice photos Bluey ... well done

but seeings you had to have a Union bash I thought I might put you straight

but the higher the unions push these wages then the industry will look at other option.

The wages paid to Drivers in WA has nothing to do with Unions pushing up the price.

It's what the miners are prepared to pay as an incentive to get people out into those remote areas

there is a high turn over of drivers who don't hack the pace of 14 - 12 hour shifts in the middle of nowhere

or in towns where the local indigenous population aren't too friendly

There is a national shortage of train drivers so with the high turn over the competition is fierce

When Gina Rhinehart was asked how/where she would get drivers for her new Roy Hill mine in WA she replied,

"I'll get them ....I'll just pay them more".

Drivers on average over there earn about 170k to 190k

Supervisors & just above may be on 200k plus.

You found it a nice place to visit ..... but do you want to work & live out in the desert /Pilbara ?
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:43 am

I think the truth with work is that if something can be done automatically by a machine, employers will go that path, whether or not the workers have high wages.
Look at supermarkets now, organizing for us to scan our own goods. You can hardly say the check out workers are or were the highest paid in the country.

If something can be done cheaper overseas it will be sent there and the truth is most big corporations couldn't care less about the conditions of the workers there. They will do what they have to do legally and no more. Look at the Bhopal disaster. 16,000 people killed immediately or later from gas related conditions. Apparently it could not have happened in USA because of their regulations but India didn't have such strict regulations.
The consequences?
In June 2010, seven ex-employees, including the former UCIL chairman, were convicted in Bhopal of causing death by negligence and sentenced to two years imprisonment and a fine of about $2,000 each, the maximum punishment allowed by Indian law.

In the same way, we have some medicines on sale here that are banned in USA. The companies involved don't bat an eyelid at dumping stuff that is considered unsafe in their own country.
Where there is money involved, all bets are off and that is true whether it is employers or employees. Most people jostle for what they can get and for an employer, that means getting it done as cheaply as possible so they in effect earn more. So you see, they are no different to employees. :lol:

On a different note-would love to visit some of those places in the photos.

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Australia, Mining Roundup - Karijini NP

Post by Blue... » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:15 am

Ok, let me do a quick round up of the Pilbara Area of Western Australia..

A whale shark at Exmouth..

Every Mining town likes to have its big Trucks or Diggers on display...

Tom Prices Truck...

Paraburdoo, where Tom Price miners live... not sure why as Tom Price is a far prettier town

Newman, they have this big digger at the TIC....

another Newman retired digger...

Newman at night along with some lightening coming in...

Newman lookout over Mt Whaleback...

Loading the trains at Mt Whaleback... a big door opens up at the bottom of that mountain of iron ore and fills each car.... they have 6 Locomotives, two at the front, two in the middle and two at the rear and can have 212 to 336 cars and only one driver controlling the lot... each car carries 125 tonnes of ore with the fully loaded train weighing approx. 42,000 tons... the train will measure around 3.75 kilometres long... Newman also broke the record for the longest train ever which was 7.3 kilometres long with 8 locomotives, 682 ore cars and one driver... cool huh?

Inside whaleback..

Inside Tom Price

:D

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:20 am

Mountains around Tom Price

Mount Namless

from top of Mt Namless

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:36 am

Karijini National Park...

Famous for their deep gorges, pools and wildlife...

A tree hanging on for dear life on the side of one of the Gorges..

I think this little fellow is a Western Dragon – as opposed from a Central Dragon...

One of the millions of termite mounds..

More Gorges..

awww

Hello little fella.. :D

Ya all come back now... ya here? :D

J Jackson
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by J Jackson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:40 am

[quote="Blue..."]Mountains around Tom Price

Mount Namless

Reminded me so much of this http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=A590,+C ... 95.72,,0,0 I can’t remember its name either
Pilot voted leave.

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:34 am

your rock needs some more growth and hight jj... ;)

in the mean time... here's a little teaser that i might put together in a couple of weeks time when i sort out the rest of my pictures... the nude jumping man might make a return too... ;) ;)

and... if you listen carefully, there's a little message in this clip for one of the sanddancer members... rofl... :lol:

or click on this link and watch it full screen by clicking on the bottom right hand corner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBqXyrGk3A

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:57 am

you know if you had just left us to do a few more atom bomb tests

you would not have needed those big tractors
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

danet

Post by danet » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Karijini National Park...
Absolutely stunning!

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:53 am

gnads wrote: When Gina Rhinehart was asked how/where she would get drivers for her new Roy Hill mine in WA she replied,

"I'll get them ....I'll just pay them more".

Fair enough gnads, I guess there’s some multiple reasons why wages can be pushed higher... supply and demand being one of them...

This is why John Howard built Trades Schools to address supply only to be foiled when Rudd won the next election and shut them all down...
But I still think there’s big pushes for higher wages in a lot of industries that in the end is going to break the companies and put them out of business... take the car manufacturing business for instance.... going broke with their backs to the wall, negotiate a 200 million dollar bailout with the government with tax payer money and then as soon as they got that money unions pushed and got a 6% pay raise for all workers ... say what?

and what did you tell me CPI was recently?

The rotten b*stards should have been taking a 6% cut to save their own jobs...

But since then hundreds of workers in that industry both direct and indirect have lost their jobs... more jobs will go and we wont make cars in Australia anymore... and that’s my worry...

There was a well known company recently (whose name escapes my semi photographic memory atm lol ) who had to be sold due to bloated wages that was breaking the company... especially the directors payments... they sold the company, restructured the wages, and the company is now a profitable company...
sherri wrote:I think the truth with work is that if something can be done automatically by a machine, employers will go that path, whether or not the workers have high wages..
Oh please sherri... its any wonder Australian education levels have slipped to 23rd in the world... lowest of any western nation with only 3rd world countries below us...

Economics will dictate the direction of any and all companies ... its not rocketsurgery.... :roll:

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:27 pm

Hey Blue, it is this sort of post that makes a visit here worthwhile. Thanks very much.
I hope there is still a little more to come.

Return to “The Corner Shop”