new camera

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

freon
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

new camera

Post by freon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:15 am

Next month iam going on a helicopter trip to Jim Jim falls and Twin falls in Kakadu National Park
I have bought a new camera and dont fully understand the lens options. The camera is a canon EOS550D
with two lenses 18-55mm and55-250mm Which would be the best lens for distance scenery? I will be
using a class 10 SD card
Thanks in advance for any help or tips
cheers

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: new camera

Post by Globalmyths » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:36 am

250 is the best for distance. 55 for close up portrait and panorama.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:13 am

Freon, there are far better photographers than me on this site and they may well give better advice, but no doubt you will want a few different opinions on the subject. At its simplest, the 18 to 55mm lens will allow for the widest landscapes, and with the aperture setting closed to the higher numbers e.g. f11, the depth of field in focus will be greater. You will have noticed some of the really great scenes submitted on this site by the likes of Bri, Mr Smith, Sless and Curly where he has some feature like a branch or rock in the foreground, and the distant parts of the picture all in focus. This works best with lenses set at wide angle.

You may however not want everything in the landscape to end up in your photo, and sometimes, rather than 'cropping' the finished photo to get what you want, it may be better to use the other lens to frame the scene that you wish to end up with. This method allows you to keep more detail in the finished photo when it is enlarged. The sharpness of the photo when the camera is hand-held is to a great extent a compromise between shutter speed, aperture ('f' setting) and the ISO setting, with a couple of other factors such as steadiness of hand and movement of subject ( just to mention a few.) thrown in. :D

The EOS cameras have a manual setting that allows the more experienced photographer to use his judgment in these matters and sometimes lovely creative effects can be obtained by doing so. But you will have other automatic settings to make things easier for you. The 'P' setting will choose all the above settings and allow a decent overall photo. If you choose the Av setting, this allows you to set the aperture (f number) giving you control over the depth of field, but the shutter speed and ISO settings will be made for you. LIkewise, if you choose the Tv setting, this allows you to choose the shutter speed (handy in freezing movement), but the Depth of field and ISO will be set automatically. Using the camera a lot will soon get you accustomed the results that can be obtained. I hope you get as much fun out of your new camera as I did with mine - and enjoy your trip. We look forward to seeing the results. :D

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:20 am

Freon, I love shooting landscapes and always use my 18mm - 55mm lens at the 18mm end. In terms of old 35mm film cameras this is the equivalent of a 28 mm wide angle lens (taking into account the small size of the ccd sensor), I tend to use an aperture of f8 or smaller (which is a larger number such as f16) and try not to use it hand held at speeds slower than 1/30 second, despite the fact that the camera body has an inbuilt anti shake device. Whichever lens length you choose, try NOT to have a shutter speed longer than 10% of the lens length i.e. 300mm lens = 1/30 second, 50mm lens = 1/5 second, even if you have an anti shake device.
Every CORRECT exposure is a compromise between aperture size and exposure time, a small aperture number such as f1.4 means that the lens iris blades will be wide open and a very short shutter speed such as 1/1000 second will suffice. A larger aperture number such as f8 where the iris blades are half closed will require a longer shutter speed in order for the same amount of light to reach the sensor, something like 1/60 second, a big aperture number such as f16 will require an even longer shutter speed such as 1/15 second, and now we are getting into the area of using a tripod to reduce the risk of camera shake.
Catch my drift?
Larger aperture numbers mean a much smaller hole for the light to pass through, a smaller hole means that more light must arrive at the sensor to make a correct exposure.
A wide open lens (small aperture number) will have a smaller depth of field, or focus, i.e. the subject will be in focus, but objects in front of or beyond the subject will be out of focus. A larger aperture number with a smaller "hole" will have a greater depth of field or focus, objects nearer than the subject or further behind will ALL be in focus.
Once you grasp this concept, photography becomes a far more creative "doddle". :D

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:13 am

Good luck Freon

I'm looking at the 60D with twins lens kit.

The cheapest place I have found is TOPBUY.COM.AU

I'll be a rooky learning about lens use also when I take the plunge.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Gessus…

Here’s the deal… KISS

Keep It Simple Stupid…

Considering you are going up in a helicopter you really need to be trying to keep things as steady as you can… using the bigger lens, especially if zoomed in, the chopper will give you a lot of shake which will be magnified by the zoomed lens..

Select the pre set button of “Landscape” and it’ll do everything curly has just mentioned… use the 18 to 55 like curly was also saying and you’ll be right… but remember… keep it steady…

it's not rocket surgery... :5dunce:

freon
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by freon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:01 pm

This camera is a bit to good for me, I do a lot of travelling and like something that just
slips in your pocket so you dont look like a tourist ,the canon is very bulky.Am a bit worried it wont
be able to handle some of the bush fishing trips with the dust mud and humidity so will probably keep
my old one for those occassions. Had a bit of a play with it today using the different lenses and its not that hard
and had some good results so I will just keep practising
thanks for your help

cheers

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:56 pm

freon wrote:This camera is a bit to good for me, I do a lot of travelling and like something that just
slips in your pocket
That’s the mistake many people make…

If you get a TOP class compact camera you’d be far better off in a lot of situations… something with a large sensor, 5 to 10 times zoom and maybe another feature like panorama or HDR ….

Its got me befuzzled why global wold buy a bulky DSLR when a good compact would be far better for him… but anyways… can you leave that 60D in your will for me Global… I was thinking of upgrading next year anyways.. :D

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:14 am

Blue... wrote:
freon wrote:This camera is a bit to good for me, I do a lot of travelling and like something that just
slips in your pocket
That’s the mistake many people make…

If you get a TOP class compact camera you’d be far better off in a lot of situations… something with a large sensor, 5 to 10 times zoom and maybe another feature like panorama or HDR ….

Its got me befuzzled why global wold buy a bulky DSLR when a good compact would be far better for him… but anyways… can you leave that 60D in your will for me Global… I was thinking of upgrading next year anyways.. :D
Don't befuzzled Just because I gave good advice doesn't mean I have a big one.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:33 pm

Currently I am very sorely tempted by a used Cannon G11in Durham for £300, I think it's worth trying to bargain the price down a little.

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:56 pm

curly wrote:Currently I am very sorely tempted by a used Cannon G11in Durham for £300, I think it's worth trying to bargain the price down a little.
Why settle for the old version Curly? you can get a new Canon G12 for £299 at http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:58 pm

Mr Smith wrote:
curly wrote:Currently I am very sorely tempted by a used Cannon G11in Durham for £300, I think it's worth trying to bargain the price down a little.
Why settle for the old version Curly? you can get a new Canon G12 for £299 at http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk
Sounds even better!

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:02 pm

I'm going to upgrade my camera, going for a Canon 60D, so I'll be selling my Canon 400D with
all of it's accessories to help towards paying for it.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Mr Smith wrote:

i've spoken about this camera b4 down in the photoshop forum... it'd be a great every day camera shooting excellent quality pictures due to its large sensor...

from memory it has a HDR setting for shooting and processing HDR pictures…

it doesn’t have panorama though… im quite fond of that panorama on that cheap GE camera I bought like JJ’s…

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:16 am

I'm going to upgrade my camera, going for a Canon 60D, so I'll be selling my Canon 400D with
Yep that's my goal Smithy ..... had the small powershots & all the point & shoot stuff

but the shots I want are not obtainable with that sort of camera

so I'm going to go bulky DSLR & I might even get a tripod for those shaky times :wink: :lol:

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:57 pm

new camera so where are the pics Freon :?: :D

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:57 pm

I've seen plenty of results from the G11 and G12, the RAW files shot in low light provide quality much the same as many DSLRs. That's what attracts me, as well as the magnificent macro shots.
If you are travelling light this is just the sort of camera to have.
Ideally I'd like the Fuji Finepix X100 or X10, but there's no way my budget could stretch that far.

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:38 pm

gnads wrote:
Yep that's my goal Smithy ..... had the small powershots & all the point & shoot stuff

but the shots I want are not obtainable with that sort of camera

so I'm going to go bulky DSLR & I might even get a tripod for those shaky times :wink: :lol:
gnads... listen to the guys that are already carrying the DSLRs...

you can get the same quality but without the bulk....

you are throwing your money away unless you have a specific purpose for getting one..

most people make the same mistake.. they go buy a compact but then get the cheapest ones and wonder why the pictures are crap... then go over the top buying a DSLR..

buy a top of the range compact and the pics are as good as the DSLR's but half the price and effort to carry them around... the G12 has a LARGE picture sensor, only a bit smaller than a good DSLR

thats why they are the top rated compact in regards to picture quality...

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:30 pm

Okay how about distance shots?

tedster
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by tedster » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:18 am

well thats when you need a big camra and lense,,,i was thinking about upgrading to a dslr,,but i cant justify it for the time i would use it,i allways have a small camra with me at work in the van ,thats the canon power shot s 100,the son who has just got a better camra let me have his old a canonpower shot sx 200is,,,i like these these dead easy,but some times there are pic just out of my range ,,thats when you need a camra with a canny lense :wink:

Return to “The Corner Shop”