Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

Post Reply
User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7376
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by Mr Smith » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:40 pm

For those old timers who attended Redwell School (especially the girls).
Lily McGurk M.B.E has passed away at the age of 84.

Image
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 2552
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: south shields

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by siam sam » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:54 pm

her nephew lives across the road from me. its nice to see the photo of my wife again in the netball team.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7376
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by Mr Smith » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:57 pm

siam sam wrote:her nephew lives across the road from me. its nice to see the photo of my wife again in the netball team.
That's my baby sister, bottom left, she's recovering from major surgery at the moment.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 2552
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: south shields

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by siam sam » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:02 pm

my wife is two away from miss mcgurk back row on the left. unfortunately pass away about twenty years ago.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.

User avatar
GRUMPO THE THIRD
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by GRUMPO THE THIRD » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:16 pm

Just seen it in today's Gazette. She never married but did she have a female partner? I can remember her walking about the coridoors in her gym skirt showing off her very muscular legs.

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7376
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by Mr Smith » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:22 pm

GRUMPO THE THIRD wrote:Just seen it in today's Gazette. She never married but did she have a female partner? I can remember her walking about the coridoors in her gym skirt showing off her very muscular legs.
If you saw it in the Gazette, you would have seen that is said her loving partner
Lesley (as opposed to Leslie). Her partner was female, they'd been together for
many years.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
GRUMPO THE THIRD
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by GRUMPO THE THIRD » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Just looked it back up. appologies, I must have misread. Most of the teachers have long gone, it is the turn of the pupils to be going now. Quite a few of my classmates have gone. I am just hanging on in there. they will have to take me kicking and screaming to the grave.

User avatar
Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 38831
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:22 pm
Location: Milford North Shore City Auckland New Zealand.

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by Globalmyths » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:44 pm

GRUMPO THE THIRD wrote:Just looked it back up. appologies, I must have misread. Most of the teachers have long gone, it is the turn of the pupils to be going now. Quite a few of my classmates have gone. I am just hanging on in there. they will have to take me kicking and screaming to the grave.
Ok when would you like us to start? :lol: Only joking.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 8056
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: Jarrow

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by Jarrow Pete » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:28 pm

You cannot think about Redwell and not think of Miss McGurk, can still picture her muscular legs.

User avatar
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 24409
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:48 am
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by anna » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:14 pm

Mr Smith wrote:
siam sam wrote:her nephew lives across the road from me. its nice to see the photo of my wife again in the netball team.
That's my baby sister, bottom left, she's recovering from major surgery at the moment.
i hope all is well with your sister Mr Smith ..love the photo .

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7376
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by Mr Smith » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:38 pm

anna wrote:
Mr Smith wrote:
siam sam wrote:her nephew lives across the road from me. its nice to see the photo of my wife again in the netball team.
That's my baby sister, bottom left, she's recovering from major surgery at the moment.
i hope all is well with your sister Mr Smith ..love the photo .
She's doing quite well Anna, I spoke to her just before I started this topic, she's been told she
has to do absolutely nothing for three months, then very little in the following six months. She
has had an operation on here spine, but being a Smith she's taking it all in her stride. She lives
down south, not far from Heathrow Airport. She was a close friend of Lily McGurk and came up
for Lily's 80th birthday party, apparently there was a large turnout for it.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 8056
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:07 pm
Location: Jarrow

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by Jarrow Pete » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:01 am

Mr Smith wrote:For those old timers who attended Redwell School (especially the girls).
Lily McGurk M.B.E has passed away at the age of 84.

Image
Baldy is that one of the Bryant girls holding the ball, she looks like the one who married the late Norman Grey.

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7376
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by Mr Smith » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:49 am

I haven't got a clue Pete, I'll see if I can find out when I next phone my sister up.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 2552
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: south shields

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by siam sam » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:40 am

mr smith has been on before with all the names attached.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7376
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by Mr Smith » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:25 pm

siam sam wrote:mr smith has been on before with all the names attached.
I'm the only one who has posted this photo and have never attached any of the names
because I don't know the names. :?
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

User avatar
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 24409
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:48 am
Location: somewhere over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by anna » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Mr Smith wrote:
She's doing quite well Anna, I spoke to her just before I started this topic, she's been told she
has to do absolutely nothing for three months, then very little in the following six months. She
has had an operation on here spine, but being a Smith she's taking it all in her stride.
what can i say ...she is a woman :D..............The harsher the conditions, the stronger the woman

User avatar
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 1864
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:03 pm
Location: Northumberland
Contact:

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by Axeman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Jarrow Pete wrote:You cannot think about Redwell and not think of Miss McGurk, can still picture her muscular legs.
You are right there JP....!

My older sister was a pupil of Miss McGurks, she'll be sad to hear the news..

.
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM

User avatar
Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Posts: 7376
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by Mr Smith » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Jarrow Pete wrote:
Mr Smith wrote:For those old timers who attended Redwell School (especially the girls).
Lily McGurk M.B.E has passed away at the age of 84.

Image
Baldy is that one of the Bryant girls holding the ball, she looks like the one who married the late Norman Grey.
Just had that confirmed Pete, as you say she married Norman Grey.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

Barbs
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Miss Lily McGurk MBE

Post by Barbs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:31 pm

So sorry to hear about the demise of Miss McGurk. PE was not my favourite lesson but I really liked her.

Post Reply

Return to “The Corner Shop”