Marsden Quarry

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

becca
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Marsden Quarry

Post by becca »

Hi, it's my dad's 6oth birthday this year and we are trying to get some pictures of when he was growing up in south shields. In particular I was wondering if anyone had photo's of Marsden Quarry from anytime between the 1950's-70's. It would be very much appreciated! He was also at Redwall school from 1954 until about 1968 so if anyone had any photo's of that era it would be great if you could post them on the website.
Thankyou very much (in anticipation!).

jimmywizz

Re: Marsden Quarry

Post by jimmywizz »

baldy looking at you

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

jimmywizz wrote:baldy looking at you
Welcome to the boards becca

If you go on to the Redwell School board on the Main Index Page
you will find a few Redwell School photos posted there. I don't
have any old photos of the Old Quarry even though I lived next
to it for quite a few years. I believe Jarrow Pete may have one
or two of interest from around there, no doubt he will put some
up for you if he has any.
Wise man talk because they have something to say,
fools talk because they have to say something.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

http://community.webshots.com/user/F1Chris

Becca,click on this link and you will see a collection of photos from Marsden that my nephew took. There is a few articles in the Old codgers board that I will try and bump up for you.What is the name of your Dad, we were a close knit community growing up at Marsden in the 50s and 60s so will probably know him. If you do not want his name on the boards pm it to me.
Check out the old codgers board.

heaintheavy
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by heaintheavy »

Marsden Quarry was my old playground in the 60's and 70's and I moved away from the area about 30 years ago.

For the last 3 or 4 years I have returned taking with me my young daughter for picnics and for blackberry picking. I must say that the Quarry is much more greener today than all those years ago. Indeed, there are parts of it that you cannot now get access to because of the amount of bushes and trees.

I notice that the part of it where the coal shale was dumped still has an underground fire beneath it during prolonged dry spells.

becca
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by becca »

Thankyou all for your help - it is very much appreciated. My dad's name is Peter Haines. He had two brothers Michael and David, and a sister Margaret. His mum only moved from the quarry when they were knocking the houses down. She was Margaret Haines but later remarried and was then Frost. Thanks again, and if anything else pops up let me know!

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

becca wrote:Thankyou all for your help - it is very much appreciated. My dad's name is Peter Haines. He had two brothers Michael and David, and a sister Margaret. His mum only moved from the quarry when they were knocking the houses down. She was Margaret Haines but later remarried and was then Frost. Thanks again, and if anything else pops up let me know!
Who would believe how small the world is.Grew up living 6 doors away from your Dad, his brother Michael was (and still is) one of my oldest friends.Met your mam and dad at St Clairs Hospice a couple of years ago when I was visiting Margaret. My mam Dorry was one of Margaret's closest friends and she still misses her very badly.Went down to the Seaman's mission the other week for your Uncle Davids memorial service, but could not manage the many stairs up and down into the chapel so sat outside and waited to take my mam home.My brother David is the same age as Peter so he was a lot closer to him than me, am seeing David down at my Mams this morning and I will see what photos we can dig up between us, but not many could afford a camera at Marsden in the 50s. Seem to remember your Dads birthday was the beginning of September and there was a right mix up over it when he was at senior school,the authorities decided he was in the wrong year so he jumped up into the next year and effectivly lost a years schooling, not that it did him any harm as he was one of the first from Marsden to go to university and end up as a professor. My earliest memories of your Dad are playing cricket on the grass at the front of the houses at Marsden and bowling your Dad out, he disputed this and went ito a temper and took his ball ans stormed off into the house, David and Michael chased after him but he stubbornly refused to give them the ball so play was abandoned for the day. If you open up the link to the photos on pictures 7 and 8 you can just see the upstairs front bedroom windows of your Dads old house at 213 Quarry Lane, photo 9 shows the grass in front of the houses where we played all our games and learned how to camp out before we progressed onto going camping in the Quarry.

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

I think this is where our boards are at their best, a great strength in bringing people together.

westoelad
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by westoelad »

Excellent thread and a joy to read.

Patria Caer Urfa est communis omnium parens - Our native home town is the common parent of us all.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Becca, my mother sends her regards to you, I printed this article for her and she sat reading it for half an hour, she cannot get over this modern technology.My brother David reckons your Dad has a copy of the Marsden photos that his son Christopher took. He said he gave him a disc with them on when your mam and Dad where up for Margarets funeral, he is going to hunt through their old albums to see if he can find any, but as my mam said they could not afford films in them days.Have you contacted your Uncle Michael as he took most of the photos from his mams house when they were clearing it out after she died, Margaret had a good collection of photos as I enlarged and cleaned up a few for her on the computer. My wife Jean Webber nee Anderson also sends her regards to your Dad, she lived 11 doors away and was in the same year as your Dad and my brother David at Redwell.

Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

Remember getting my girlfriends Riley Elf stuck on top of a boulder in Marsden Quarry.

Took ages to hammer the floor back down.:lol:

Did anyone go to the Quarry when they were doing cross country type obstacle course trials with land rovers many moons ago.?

WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Axeman wrote:.
Remember getting my girlfriends Riley Elf stuck on top of a boulder in Marsden Quarry.

Took ages to hammer the floor back down.:lol:

Did anyone go to the Quarry when they were doing cross country type obstacle course trials with land rovers many moons ago.?

Cannot remember that, what sticks in my mind is the noise from the motor bike scrambles they used to have on Sundays in the late 60s early 70s in the quarry.

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

I remember going to watch some of those scrambles and trial Pete, they were quite exciting for a young teen.

becca
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by becca »

Jarrow Pete wrote:Becca, my mother sends her regards to you, I printed this article for her and she sat reading it for half an hour, she cannot get over this modern technology.My brother David reckons your Dad has a copy of the Marsden photos that his son Christopher took. He said he gave him a disc with them on when your mam and Dad where up for Margarets funeral, he is going to hunt through their old albums to see if he can find any, but as my mam said they could not afford films in them days.Have you contacted your Uncle Michael as he took most of the photos from his mams house when they were clearing it out after she died, Margaret had a good collection of photos as I enlarged and cleaned up a few for her on the computer. My wife Jean Webber nee Anderson also sends her regards to your Dad, she lived 11 doors away and was in the same year as your Dad and my brother David at Redwell.
Thankyou so much for all your help. Please send our best wishes to your mum. I remember her very well from when my grandma was ill, and what a good friend she was to her.
I've been in touch with my Uncle Michael and he has sent some photo's and memories of when they were growing up. We're doing a 'This is Your Life' book as a suprise for my Dad's birthday and want to include the photo's, and memories, of his growing up in south shields. I've been dying to tell him about what we've found so far, but it will have to wait until september. I will also pass on your wife's regards once we've given him the big red book! He's going to be really suprised that we've been in contact and we'll be including your memories of the cricket game!
Thanks again, and if you remember anything else please let me know.

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

a very good read thank you to all the contributors. =D> =D> =D> =D>
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Becca just had a chat with my mother about her recolections of your Dad, she is going to put her thinking cap on and see what she can remember. Me and my nephew did a similar thing and did a history of the family for my parents golden wedding about 15 years ago,we kept updating it and it now runs to 5 volumes.
Mam says that your Dad was always down the beach or up the quarry with my brother David, like all of us growing up at Marsden they were keen collectors of birds eggs, mam says Margaret his mam was forever complaining about the birds eggs he kept under his bed.
Will speak to my brother david today and see what recollections he has, or if you like I can send you a pm with his phone number.

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

Here is a photo of part of the path through Marsden Quarry Nature Reserve
which I took about a month ago. The previous last time I was along there
not a bush or tree was in sight, it was all grassy mounds and rocks. It is
now a lovely relaxing walk with plenty of wildlife around. When I lived
around there the main birds in the quarry were jackdaws, quite a few
people caught them and kept them as pets.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

That's how the quarry used to look in the mid 50s when it was enclosed by a fence built with railway sleepers. Thousands of them standing about 7 or 8 feet high with barbered wire on top made it nearly impossible for us kids to get in to play in the quarry.One day just like the Berlin wall the fence came down,nearly every house in Quarry Lane and Lake Avenue had a wash house full of sleepers to be sawn up to use as logs on the coal fires all the houses had at the time.We kids had a field day, as Baldy said we would get a young jackdaw and train it to keep as a pet, once with my friend we found a fox cub and kept it in his wash house, but it made that much racket my mates Dad let it out one night.We would camp out up there at every opportunity in the summer months and slowly we wrecked the place, in the south west corner near Bats cave there were trees that were taller than the cliffs, we eventually chopped them down along with most of the other ones in the Quarry.
Obviously now when we are older we regret what we did as kids, not realising that we would be denying future generations the pleasure we got from playing in the old quarry.
Rebecca who started this thread, her Dad and her Uncle Michael when their mother died and was cremated four years ago planted saplings up there in her memory. They did the same thing a few weeks ago after the memorial service for their brother who was murdered in Tenerife, so obviously they are trying to replace something that we were guilty of destroying in our youth.

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

With the beaches at Marsden the top field where they have caravans now, the bottom field now Grotto Gardens, Marsden Quarry with Cleadon hills and the dungeons not far away Marsden really was a great place to grow up. =D>
I voted leave

Mr Smith
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Mr Smith »

Pilot wrote:With the beaches at Marsden the top field where they have caravans now, the bottom field now Grotto Gardens, Marsden Quarry with Cleadon hills and the dungeons not far away Marsden really was a great place to grow up. =D>
I was already working when we moved up to Marsden in 1953 so I did not grow up
there, I grew up in Laygate. Lots of young people used to go camping in the quarry
and used to get up to all sorts of naughty things, but I'd rather not talk about my
sexploits. :D
Marsden beach was where I spent most of my time and it was always packed with
people enjoying themselves. These days I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, the
cliffs are in a dangerous state and prone to large portions of rock falling onto the
beach below. I have many happy memories of my times spent on that beach at
the Camel Island end and the many young ladies I met down there.

Return to “The Corner Shop”