Life, death and all that

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Life, death and all that

Post by Pilot » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:59 am

Since I turned 60 last year I have become suddenly more aware of my vulnerability in the old life stakes, 9 years and two weeks and I'll be 70, I think back 9 years and it seems a very short time since the millenium and all that went with it. Maybe the older posters among you can tell me if they experienced this around the age of 60? I'm changing my car soon and I keep thinking it will last to see me to the end :shock: I buy things and think I wont need to replace them ever again, go to sleep at night and wonder whether I'll wake up, wonder whether its worth watching a new serial on the tele :D 60 years suddenly seems a very brief period and I worry how the world will manage without me :?
I voted leave

tedster
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Life, death and all that

Post by tedster » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:03 am

all i can say is make the most of it ,,,,get the car of your dreams ,do the things you have allways wanted to do,,party on dude,,,im not as old but it worked for me ,,,lve for the day :wink:

johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:06 am

Having a morbid morning Pilot :D

Actually, in all seriousness, since my bypass in 2006 things like that go through my
head now and then, not too often but they're there none the less, you're just
realising your own mortality is all, scary as it may seem 8)

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:09 am

Read and believe the Bible and you need not worry about tomorrow.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:11 am

Globalmyths wrote:Read and believe the Bible and you need not worry about tomorrow.

I'd be dead through boredom :roll:

danet

Post by danet » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:17 am

:lol: Pilot......here I am thinking like that at age 55 :shock: ....if I will ever make it to 60 :? And actually, I am sort of clearing out junk, just in case it's too much of a burden for my kids to do so :lol:
My mum is 80, and she has just proudly told me of the burial plot she bought and where, and wants to take me to see it.
I just don't know if I could :cry:
I look at all the friggin stuff I have, and think...why am I hoarding it? For my next life :lol: :lol:

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:25 am

I became aware of my vulnerability more than forty years
ago when I was involved in an accident along with a friend
who didn't survive.
You will find that as you get older the passing of time seems
to accelerate.
Live every minute of every day as if it was your last day of
life, you'll find that it makes life much more interesting and
bearable. :wink:

8)

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:14 pm

Pilot wrote:Since I turned 60 last year I have become suddenly more aware of my vulnerability in the old life stakes, 9 years and two weeks and I'll be 70, I think back 9 years and it seems a very short time since the millenium and all that went with it. Maybe the older posters among you can tell me if they experienced this around the age of 60? I'm changing my car soon and I keep thinking it will last to see me to the end :shock: I buy things and think I wont need to replace them ever again, go to sleep at night and wonder whether I'll wake up, wonder whether its worth watching a new serial on the tele :D 60 years suddenly seems a very brief period and I worry how the world will manage without me :?
ImageImageImagePilot , thats a sad thread ...Imagebut you need to give your self a slap , and be thankful you can afford to go out and buy a car and replace household items .... :D

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:31 pm

One thing I am going to do Pilot is clear my loft out. I had to clear an old uncles cottage in Devon when he died and am busy at the moment sorting out my late cousins bungalow. Have just realised if it is stuck in the loft do i need it. Amongst other things we have boxes of ornaments, kids toys, books and other things that have accumulated over 36 years of married life. I have decided I would rather clear it now and give the stuff away then leave it to the kids to have to hire a skip and most probably dump 95% of the stuff in it when me and the wife depart this life. I will be 63 in August so like you I think what I buy now will have to last.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:40 pm

I can hardly believe you are nearly 61. It just seems like yesterday we were talking about you heading for 60. :shock:
But yes to all your questions. If it has only just started for you, then count yourself lucky.
Ever since my parents died, I feel like one of the rows of little tin soldiers, no rows above me now on the way to the top and over. :(

This car probably won't be your last though. With luck, you should have another 20 years in you. That's probably 2 cars, if we are realistic. There now, did that cheer you up? :lol:
Danet, LOL at
I look at all the friggin stuff I have, and think...why am I hoarding it? For my next life :lol:

:lol: Hey, that's me. You better come over on the holidays for afternoon tea. I have just realised I have 2 coffee pots and 2 tea pots sitting here and I always use instant or tea bags :lol:
About time for us all to get some use out of stuff. :wink:

tedster
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by tedster » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:43 pm

ImageImageImagePilot , thats a sad thread ...Imagebut you need to give your self a slap , and be thankful you can afford to go out and buy a car and replace household items .... :D [/quote]

maybe mr A ,mite go round and help him with the slapp :lol:

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:47 pm

:D ,with a wet fish .. :P

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:58 pm

:D :D :D
I voted leave

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:59 pm

Pilot wrote::D :D :D
thats the key Pilot ...keep smiling :wink:

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:16 pm

tedster wrote:all i can say is make the most of it ,,,,get the car of your dreams ,do the things you have allways wanted to do,,party on dude,,,im not as old but it worked for me ,,,lve for the day :wink:

Here here =D> =D>

bamboo
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by bamboo » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:43 pm

i best cram in as much in as i can,i,ve only got 13yrs left.
back by popular demand

danet

Post by danet » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:45 pm

bamboo wrote:i best cram in as much in as i can,i,ve only got 13yrs left.
:lol: :lol:

comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:04 pm

I will be 60 in August and I am lucky to make it. I had a serious heart attack last October and died for a few minutes but obviously I was saved and put on a heart support for a while. since then I have learnt to take things easy and be gratefull for the small things in life. It has given me a whole new perspective. I look forward for today not tomorrow.
It is time for fun now.
comeonthen

malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:33 pm

The idea of living every day as though it were your last, sounds wonderful. Getting as much out of life as you can.

However, for me, the theory and the reality just don't add up.

If we really, truly lived each day like that, then you have to ask yourself this...

now that I've blown all my money seeing everything I always wanted to see, doing everything I ever wanted to do,
having the 'time of my life' then what do I do now.......

now that I'm completely broke and there's nothing left to pay my way through all of the added on days, weeks, months and years I never expected ???

comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:04 pm

The things that money can buy are easily enjoyed and discarded. Its the things that money can't buy that will last forever. The most beautiful things in life are free. I am happy to say that I have never been money motivated. I have lived like a tramp on the streets and I have lived like a rich man and I enjoyed myself on both occasions.
Life is what you make of it, not what you can buy with it.
comeonthen

Return to “The Corner Shop”