some pictures from the south Pacific

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

some pictures from the south Pacific

Post by sherri »

Danet and I, along with our husbands and another couple, are back from our cruise. But I now feel as if I am swaying back and forth and up and down and I feel as if i could fall off this chair any minute now. :lol:
We thought about you all while we were away and often mentioned you. :D
In fact a couple of nights we went up to where the ship webcam is and did a dance and gave a wave, just on the offchance. :lol:
But early morning they always turned the webcam back to sea. :?

The weather every day was perfect-warm and balmy and calm.The ship was incredible and i wouldn't know where to start. Danet will have better photos as photography is her thing, but just let me say, it was like being in a mini city, with 14 floors of rooms, shops, restaurants and bars etc.
The cruise was unusual in that as it was school holidays, the crowd was younger than the norm, with quite a lot of teens on board but the behaviour was good-you would see them in lifts, on their way to the pools and hogging the hot spas during the day :evil: but they were good really.
:wink:
We went to five places-Noumea, Port Vila, Lifou, Ouvea and Isle of Pines.
Noumea was bustling and i really liked it.
I will try not to bore you with too many pics-not sure where to start.Hope they are not too big but with all this sway going on i am not sure i could find the place in he computer to resize them.
This was a typical scene-the islanders are colourful, they wear clothes that are probably a lot more comfortable in the heat than all the stuff we tend to wear! They made hats and baskets out of leaves. I had a couple of the hats but left them behind as i doubt they would have made it through customs.

The ship itself was a surprise. This is a scene from my favourite deck-deck 7, promenade deck. It was made for walkers or joggers-3 times round equals a mile. Plus there are deck chairs and waiters ready to serve a coffee or a cocktail if you wish. :D
But we enjoyed just sitting out chatting and also at nights (when it was always still warm), watching the wash and the waves. The seas are pretty empty out there-we basically never saw another ship.

Another surprise (for me anyway) onboard was that each day there were a lot of different activities, including scholarship at sea and free lectures eg on the flora/fauna or voyages of james Cook or navigation or computer programs etc by lecturers and also a series of art auctions by the most amazingly entertaining man-apparently princess cruises run one of he biggest art buying groups in the world and a lot of people buy their art on these cruises.

Here's the art gallery entrance.

The prices are generally competitive, or I suspect so but I am no expert.
There was a Picasso print sold on our trip.

There were several works on sale by Alexandra Nechita

Here are some others i liked. These were really big art pieces though.

Inside the ship-not as panoramic as it looked in real life but gives you an idea I hope.
I spent too much in the shops. They had different sales nearly every day :D

Food-incredible-ate too much. They had a different national theme every day.
Did a tour of the galley-they also did vegetable art and ice sculpture.

Here is a picture for shadow. I thought of him a few times as we passed some interesting little cemeteries with incredibly colourfullly decorated graves-much more joyful looking than our style of cemeteries- and i would love to have taken a pic to show him but we were in little mini buses and I couldn't photograph them. But here is a statue in Noumea. It was extremely hot and humid when we walked over to photograph this though the pics might not look it.

Biggest surprise-Isle of Pines-inhabited but on a small scale and the most unspoilt place imaginable. There is a resort tucked away, but expensive. If you ever get a chance, see it before it is 'discovered'. The beaches are just magic.

The waters are safe and filled with the most incredible varieties of colourful fish that come right past you within inches. i did some snorkelling here and could have stayed hours longer.

The ship could not dock-we had to catch the tenders to the island.
Interesting forest.

Rubbish bin with a difference.

On the beach

On the ship-Passing through a narrow volcanic channel as night fell.

Ah well, back to reality.
No more......

Last edited by sherri on Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: some pictures from the south Pacific

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Lovely pictures Sherri, pleased that you enjoyed your self. Busy tonight booking my "cruise" my six monthly trip to Shetland Isles for mid February.

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

=D> =D> =D> Sherrie love the photos , that beach where you snokled was amazing ,and i love the tree photo aswell ... the ship looks emaculate ,what an adventure it must have been ....

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

Pictures .....WOW!

Jealous as hell.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

curly wrote:Pictures .....WOW!

Jealous as hell.
Thanks, curly. :D
It is an area of the world worth having a look at if you ever have a chance.
On a couple of the islands the houses would be classified as third world and the people don't have all the facilities we are used to, but I am not sure they are 'living in poverty' as we would know it in our society, as they tend to live off the land a lot more and every type of tree imaginable was bountiful-coconuts, avocado, bananas etc plus sea food. Probably a lot healthier than the western diet!
I think danet will have better photos as she took over 800 I think!! :shock:

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

did you get a tan Sherrie ..?.. :D

Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Great photos Sherri. The inside dining area looks exactly like the are in the "Titanic", spiral stair cases and all. Looks like you had a great trip...even if you had to bring the Hubbies along. :D

The foods looked great. I'm sure they were all low cal stuff and nobody gained a pound. :^o

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

Let's not talk about weight, shall we?? :evil: :lol:
Put it this way, with 24 hour buffets and 4 course meals and the best pizzeria ever, as well as free icecreams, well.. we had to get our money's worth. :wink:
Most of the food was healthy stuff actually-lots of fruit, practically nothing fried etc
But the quantities is what does the damage.
:lol:
Not sure i could have gone much longer as I was into overload, food wise. :lol:

malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

Smashing photo's Sherri and thanks for posting them.
It's an interesting experience being on a ship in your own self-contained little world.
It reminds me of my own time at sea, including a spell on the QE2 many years ago.
Just amazing how well organised these ships are. Very inpressive indeed.
Glad you enjoyed it. Where to next ???

Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Sheeri - Is it true that Danet wore her floaties everywhere on the boat....even to dinner?? :D

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

Thanks for the photos, the descriptions and the information. And pleased to see that you are all home again safe and well. Won't you have some interesting things to tell your school children when you go back to school again.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

danet

Post by danet »

I felt a bit dizzy or something-or-rather today too Sherri, and it felt as if the floor was swaying.....my equilibrium must think it is still on the ship :? I am guessing this must be the equivalent to jet lag maybe. Strange sensation.

The cruise was more than I could ever have imagined. The staff treated us like royals.
We were told this was an exceptional cruise with many people of all ages and something like 400 kids and teens. It was lively and energetic. The food was too much to comprehend....the Amercian grill bar by the poolside....burgers and chips and hot dogs (the young ones just loved it.....no more bothering the parents about being hungry that's for sure!)...the pizza and pasta restaurant was fantastic.....the 24 hour buffet (pics a little later)....with plates the size of a football oval :shock: (damned had to resist....you know....really did try to resist :^o ) ...oh...there were 2 buffets actually...with coffee and tea and ice water on tap at all times. Orange and apple juice in the morns till about 10.30 am.
Me...who NEVER eats brekky.....ate brekky! :shock: It was too good to pass up...just go there for a cup of coffee....no way I could pass that up....I started a good habit...I had brekky EVERY morning...TUVM =D>

We did enjoy the Theatre and the shows were first class. And saw a few movies as well. There was too much to choose from to do with activities...I went to listen to the Professor talk about the uniqueness of Noumea...very informative....the Art Auction was extraordinaire...that Picasso picture Sherri put up, I was at that auction (with a free glass of champers 8) .....where a buyer bought it for $13,000......plus buyers premium and GST on top of that!
Oh yes, it was valued at $18,000...so maybe it's a bargain?

The next cruise after ours only have 40 kids on board...so I guess it will be a quieter cruise.
Some interesting facts....it takes about 1950 passengers, has a crew of 900, the ship does about 21 knots per hr cruising speed, and uses 65,000 gallons (yes gallons) per day of diesel fuel.
The "Sun Princess" was built in Monfacone, Italy in 1995. And the Port of registry - London, England.
77,000 gross tonnage
106 ft breadth
856 ft length overall

Daddy O wrote:Sheeri - Is it true that Danet wore her floaties everywhere on the boat....even to dinner?? :D
Now that is ridiculous :roll: .....anyhow can anyone tell whether I had worn them under my blouse or not? I told everyone I worked out at the gym you see :^o

Here I am, trying to relax and have a floaty snooze at Ouvea beach...trying to relax that is....I tried to have my own little space...away from 'the crowd' :lol:

And look at all these people NOT having a relaxing float...hehehe....everywhere we went, there they were...the instant crowd... :lol: You know those pics they show you of a deserted peacefull looking beach with no one around...well, here is what it really looks like to the rest of us! :lol:

Last edited by danet on Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

Yes, very good indeed, ladies.
South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot »

Welcome back from your floating gin palace :D :D :D registered in London, I bet there wasn't many Brits in the crew :?
I voted leave

danet

Post by danet »

Thanks Pilot :D
Actually, yes there were quite a few Brits in the crew....the Captain for one. And I will say, the most interesting part, was the lovely gold name badges the whole crew wears...so you get to see their names and the country they are from.
Fascinating as they were from all over the World.

johnc10
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by johnc10 »

I would love to go on a cruise, it's something i've always found
fascinating, the idea of a self-contained town or village if you
will, floating on the open sea, excellent photos Sherri and i'm
looking forward to more off Danet =D> 8)

northern

Post by northern »

Nice Photo's ladies, Very similar to ours when Clare and i went to Bermuda last year.
Went on a mini cruise for 2 days, the ships are as you say, very nice with amazing food, also nice entertainment.
Have some lovely Photo's of that time, also the sea there looks just as yours did. '' Blue and clear ''

Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

danet wrote:I felt a bit dizzy or something-or-rather today too Sherri, and it felt as if the floor was swaying.....my equilibrium must think it is still on the ship :? I am guessing this must be the equivalent to jet lag maybe. Strange sensation.
That's from the vibration's of the ship. When I was in the Military we would fly C-130's to transport us to various places. We called them "The Shakey's" because they vibrated so badly. When you get off, you have a very strange feeling for a few hours or a day. It's kind of liking jumping on a trampoline and when you get off the feeling that the ground doesn't move is really weird.
Daddy O wrote:Sherri - Is it true that Danet wore her floaties everywhere on the boat....even to dinner?? :D
danet wrote:Now that is ridiculous :roll: .....anyhow can anyone tell whether I had worn them under my blouse or not? I told everyone I worked out at the gym you see.
I bet you just crossed your arms across your chest and everyone believed you were very well endowed. Sherri already told us you had many different color coordinated floaties to go with every outfit you brought. :lol: :lol:

mr-angry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by mr-angry »

Those photos got me reminising of last years trip to the Dominican Republic, especialy when you got talking about the food. Anyway I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but here's a few photos of the Angry family at one of the A la carte restaurants.

South Shields, I was born here, and I'll d*e here

danet

Post by danet »

Ahh Mr. Angry.....you understand....what an abundance of food ay? :D I will post them 'food pics'....a little later....the pastry extravaganza was amazing...and the Island night food display was unreal....even carved birds out of ice (mind you, it was melting pretty fast in the warm climate)

but in the meantime.....looks like I am never going to live it down about the floaties for now :roll: :lol:
Oh well...I reckon I was the envy of the beach....purple swim top, orange floaties.....teens board shorts with purple pattern......an amazing bathing belle I was :^o :lol:

Here is a photo of the loooooooong hallway.......fair dinkum......some of us even lost weight to tell you the truth....them long walks from the aft to the fore, and back again, wore me out!

Here is where it all started....me and Sherri on board, and leaving Melbourne Station Pier....Sail away!
That's the Spirit of Tasmania on the other side of the pier.

Here is a pic of the Westgate Bridge as we sail past Melbourne.

Return to “The Corner Shop”