Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: butlins at filey

Post by tedster »

we couldnt afford real water ,we had to have dehydrated water :shock:

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Globalmyths wrote:I would be in bed asleep an me mum would come in wake me up get me to stand up on the floor and make me pee in potty then put me back to bed again.

That was the same with me Global, but sometimes she was too late. :oops:

8)

comeonthen
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by comeonthen »

My first holiday was at Rhyll, about 1hour from where we lived realy enjoyed it. I was about seven and the holiday lasted a whole day. I went back a few years ago and what a dump it is, all boarded up, broken windows and in total ruin. All our hollidays were spent coming up to Shields for a few weeks living with my auntie. 9 kids 4 adults in a 4 bed house, away from all my mates. The first up was the best fed.
The first and only real holliday I ever had was at Butlins when I was about 52. I really enjoyed it.
comeonthen

malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

Joking aside, the only holiday we had as kids was when all drove down to Butlins in Minehead, Somerset.

It was such a long drive and not many motorways back then, that we had to have a half way overnight stop at me aunty and uncles place at Rugely, near Cannock, which I think is Staffordshire. After all the hours in the car and probably not sleeping too well because of all the excitement of seeing long lost cousins etc, we kids suffered terrible jet lag upon arrival and did nothing at all for the first couple of days.

You know those notes they give out at Butlins with a programme of activities for the week ahead, well being the posh gits that we were (or thought
we were) and trying to speak and write properly, well I had no idea what they meant by 'cowboys and injuns'.............what the hell, were injuns ?

The weather was positively tropical with sunshine everyday and honestly, we may have well been in a different country because nobody understood a word we were saying and likewise, they spoke foreign to us.................but Butlins, you were brilliant, and thanks for the memories.

jimmywizz

Post by jimmywizz »

anna its not my video but after watching it i have so many memories of the camp coming back i can now remember most of the buildings and even my fav pinballs i used to play back then

jimmywizz

Post by jimmywizz »

comeonthen, RHYL now that is a blast from the past, me and a load of my mates hired two transit vans and went to rhyl, it was so good we went back a couple of times a year for 2 years, we slept at an old army camp site just over that little bridge, the area was called kimmell bay and it was an old army camp changed into a caravan park, it was the pits but great for a group of lads on the drink to crash out, i might be wrong but i think it was called sunnydale, all the pubs and clubs on the sea front were great and one of the lads met a lass there, got engaged when she came over to visit him back in shields and split up on the same night lol, i has been looking at the area on a couple of local message boards and they all reckon that the town is a dump now

jimmywizz

Post by jimmywizz »

malaymac after watching the video i can now remember the sounds the chain main on the big dipper and the smell of the fresh doughnuts been made on those little vending machines in the street, and best of all the beachcomber bar which had a small stream running through it and every night they used to darken the lights in the room and a mock volcano used to kick off sending a red glow of light over the room, if doctor who is reading this can you please pick me up in your tardis and take my back for a visit :wink:

malaymac
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: sometimes Sheels, sometimes Singapore, or maybe Malaysia

Post by malaymac »

Yer right Jimmy, the place might be an eyesore now, and that's sad, but back then it was a magical place.

As kids we had never seen such massive dining halls before and I remember the staff who struggled with mountains of plates and stuff on big trolleys up and down the aisles between the tables. Occassionally there would be an almighty crash when something fell off the trolley and then a big roar and applause.

It was the first time I heard the phrase, sack the juggler. :lol:

shadowplay

Post by shadowplay »

i never went anywhere on holiday when i was a kid i do remember going to beamish with the school on a day trip i was the only one without a packed lunch i remember everyone laughing at me ,that is all i can remember of that day apart from a vague memory of being in a coal mine being shown around , i havent been to beamish since . i went to york on a day trip when i was 15 but i cant remember who i went with i do remember walking into york minster and being overwhelmed by how huge it is inside and i remember the huge glass case by the main entrance full of money which im assuming was donations for the upkeep ,that day trip was during the same week the marchioness sank .

i didnt have any other hols in my childhood apart from the above mentioned

martymont
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by martymont »

We had central heating my dad used to eat extra strong mints and breathe on us.

gilhall

Post by gilhall »

Postby baldy.smith » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:24 pm
I never ever went anywhere for a holiday when I was a kid.
first time away from Shields was a day trip with the Sally Army
to Saltwell Park. when I was 14 years old. Next time I went
anywhere was to Durham City for the day with my school
class, on an educational trip. Later on when still 15 I went
on another day trip to Trimdon Dean.
I never had a proper holiday until I was 19 years old, when
I cycled around England.
Making up for it now though. :D

8)

Baldy, I can confirm your visit to Saltwell Park, as I would have been there as well. The Sunday school trip went there for many years, before changing to Crimdon Dene. At Crimdon Dene we found a wasp's nest, and being 'egged on' by the older lads, I beat the nest with a stick. Suffice to say I was well and truly stung. My first holiday was in 1953 when I passed the 11+ and was taken to my Grandpas farm in Cannock, Staffordshire. I will try, in the next few days, to upload a couple of photos of some of my brothers and me, which would be how you remember us.
Gilly.

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember the wasp incident very well Gilly, in fact it's the only lasting memory I have of the trip. :D

I reckon I must have been one of the bigger lads (well one of the little bigger lads).

8)

jimmywizz

Post by jimmywizz »

"Baldy, I can confirm your visit to Saltwell Park" i remember going there a few times as a kid, we used to go on a trip bus and it took all day to get there :lol: :lol: how long does it take in a car now ? 20 mins #-o

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

jimmywizz wrote:"Baldy, I can confirm your visit to Saltwell Park" i remember going there a few times as a kid, we used to go on a trip bus and it took all day to get there :lol: :lol: how long does it take in a car now ? 20 mins #-o
Only if you travel in a Flinstones Ford.

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

jimmywizz wrote: i remember going there a few times as a kid, we used to go on a trip bus and it took all day to get there :lol: :lol: how long does it take in a car now ? 20 mins #-o
When you're a kid, 20 minutes is all day. :D

8)

jimmywizz

Post by jimmywizz »

seems saltwell park has its own website page
http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Leisure%20a ... /Home.aspx
i tried to watch the virtual tour but had a problem with it

Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

There I was, mindin'g me own business, working on a little poem (as usual), and it's still a work in progress - but here's what I have so far...

Filey Summers

How do I spend my daydreams?
Wandering the paths
Of Butlin’s Filey Holiday Camp,
Reliving childhood’s past.

Old Sir Billy’s pride and joy,
His biggest camp ever,
Brought summer fun and joy to all
Despite English weather!

The night before was sleepless,
Like Christmas in July,
Our tummies full of butterflies
As hours dragged slowly by.

The rows on rows of chalets;
Red, Yellow, Blue and Green,
And White for the self-catering,
The likes we’d never seen!

The Indoor Pool was busy
And always very warm;
A tropical oasis where
We were all safe from harm.

With clear and frigid water,
The giant Outdoor Pool
Had tiered concrete fountains where
My brother sprayed the fools.

Two sittings in the mess halls
Of Windsor, York and Kent,
And seconds could be had without
More money being spent!

A favourite, the chairlift,
Riding high in the sky,
Laughing down at the tiny folk
Below as we pass’d by.

The first freshly cooked donut
That I had ever had,
Still hot, and sugar-coated;
A taste that drove you mad!

I've got a few more verses to write yet, and a few dozen photo's.
It was very upsetting to see they'd demolished the old place a few years back.
We went there for seven years, from 1966 to 1972.
Great times - a wonderful place.
The Wild Witch-Wizard of Whiteleas
Was a changeling's son from Mars.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
And played them on a Fender guitar - Oh yeah.

jimmywizz

Post by jimmywizz »

barney =D> =D>

Barney
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Barney »

Ah, shucks! :oops:
Thanks, Jimmy!

When a get hyem the neet, a'll slap up a few of the photies I have.
That'll stir a few memories!

Jeez - just don't feel like workin' noo!!!
But I've got to bug*er off to a client, noo, so l8r peeps!
The Wild Witch-Wizard of Whiteleas
Was a changeling's son from Mars.
He learnt his songs
From the Cosmic Throngs
And played them on a Fender guitar - Oh yeah.

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

=D> =D> great poem Barney ..

Return to “The Corner Shop”