U K Drinking Laws

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: U K Drinking Laws

Post by Blue... »

gnads wrote:So Blue what did you do in your youth that you think your parents are responsible for?
errr, like i said above... it depends on what age they are

if they are considered a minor then they are considered being under a parents guide/protection/authority etc

but in this country i think it's 18 or under..

as for the rest of your post re the little blighters not being taught respect and consequences for their own actions etc…. again… that comes back to the parents

it's not rocket surgery... :5dunce:

danet

Post by danet »

The way I see youth today, it's a bit of a mixture of both good, bad and indifferent. Yes, there are some that binge drink (some only once, and some too many times) and go off their head and do stupid regrettable things that they would not do under normal circumstances.
The youth of today's world have this 'right of say' attitude, and it means bascially, that sometimes, they really don't know when to keep their mouths closed for their own good. They are excercising their rights...right? But very confident most are and outspoken, more than what my gen ever were in our days of youth. I sometimes admire it, and other times, I think they can overdo it as they may not always exercise moderation.
For instance, in the front of our Melbourne newspapers this week, was several photographs of a bouncer kicking a young fella. It was a bit much, but when you read the story, the young fella was drunk, and giving the bouncer a lot of cheek, and prodding for a reaction....he just went on and on until the bouncer was pushed to his limit....
The point is.....neither of them excersized restraint and it was a bad combination.
This is where the youth need to learn about stuff....from these sorts of situation.....but they don't, and the reason is.....too much information.
That's right......there has never been a time when there is so much information and examples to learn from, and yet many still choose to ignore it, whether it comes by way of family and friends, school, the media/TV/computer etc.....there are good things there to take heed off as well as the not so good to compare with......
One instance, is the dangers to one's health etc of binge drinking, or the hazzards of smoking, or the dangers of d*ugs, especially ICE and what it does to people's looks in a short time, not to mention all other aspects, and with info all over the place yet, it is beligerantly ignored and many still bing drink and smoke, and experiment with d*ugs.

Why is that?
Is it their right to ignore it if they wish and still proceed.
Or is it uncool to be sober and d*ug free?
I think many factors come into the answers for it....such as, being accepted as cool and to try and fit in, or trying to escape pressure from their everyday life of too much school work, or being bullied, or parents splitting up.
Many many reasons I am sure, and I think it is a time of more stress for the young ones than ever before, which means, they need to be stronger, for themselves. I think it is very sad that there are a lot more suicides now as a result of today's world and the way it is.
Some will learn the hard way, and it's not always easy, especially if you have your own kids growing up, and you want to protect them, but know they have to learn, as it's their world, much different to our own upbringing, and our ways. What worked for us, won't get through to many of them today. A different approach is needed. Something needs to be tackled or changed.

And yes, many good clever kids come out of the roughest families, and I know of kids in very good loving homes, that just tend to lean towards whatever is unsavory.

As for common respect from our youth, I do a lot of phone calls in business, and tend to many offices and mechanical workshops, to talk person to person, and the attitudes from the young ones vary from one to the other, some are so lovely, it's refreshing and restores faith, and some are a bit cantakerous, to the point I almost feel like asking if they are still hung over from the night before :lol:
I am so glad I was a teen during the 60's and 70's......although we had our attitudes and long hair and mini skirts and loud music, at least there were hardly any d*ugs involved to tempt us......and goodness knows how many would have succumbed otherwise.

wong
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by wong »

I think It's ridiculous to blame the parents.
Kids have a mind of their own.
Fair enough, if a very young child is allowed to wander the streets at night, the parents aren't doing their job. BUT if a 16 yr old tells mum and dad he is going to a friends place and they take off somewhere else, do you think that kid is going to say , "Oh I can't...mum said not too."!!! Not Likely.
We can only show our kids the best way and hope they take it on board when they have to make their own decisions.
You simply cannot control what goes on in their head. Or what they want to do with their mates. Peer pressure is very strong when you are a teenager. And even if you think you are the most perfect parent in the world , you cannot compete with that. You do the best you can and hope they listened to some of it.
Oh Well, just a bit longer ...sigh !

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy »

Thats right wong..

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

You are right Wong its called Peer pressure.It was a form of Peer pressure that got me drunk for the first and only time fifty years ago when I was in the New Zealand Army. But I had the intestinal fortitude to realise how stupid I had been, and to make a vow to myself never again.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

I am so glad I was a teen during the 60's and 70's......although we had our attitudes and long hair and mini skirts and loud music, at least there were hardly any d*ugs involved to tempt us......and goodness knows how many would have succumbed otherwise.

Danet ,,i agree with most of your post ,but this bit made me smile .., :D
60s and 70s,flower power,and hippys and a good time by all aparently,LSD,and pot smoking where a hidden pleasure by many..A lot of the brilliant music around at that time were actualy written under the influence of d*ugs..it just wasnt in the media or on TV in the way it is today.
I think the violence and aggression in the youths of them days, were no where as near as bad, as it is today.
Over the years ,storys of child abuse ,and bullying have made headlines,laws changed a lot of that ,Parents and Teachers were told what was exceptable and not exceptable ,any punishment they gave was questioned..
Childline was never around when we were growing up ,,dont get me wrong ,i am not knocking that ,as it has saved millions of children from suffering ..
but it also gave kids growing up ,with the attitude of thinking ,,you carnt punish me if i do wrong ,
how many of us would have picked up the phone ,if it was available when we were growing up ?
being grounded,getting the cane at school,or the slipper off one of our parents,pocket money stopped ,made to sit at the table till we finished our food,stay back after school and write a hundred lines, any punishment given out by Parents or Teachers was taken away..and i think that was the gateway for a lot of youths to rebel and lose respect for there elders..

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

ThIs is why I am such a lovable person today. Because in my youth if we deserved punishment we were punished, and it was not a slap on the wrist. We obeyed our teachers, and we respected them, we obeyed our parents, and we respected them, we obeyed our elders and we respected them, we obeyed those who were in authority over us, and we respected them. We obeyed the law enforcers, and we respected them.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

danet

Post by danet »

Yeah....marijuana and lsd.....it was around, but not much for my gen, and we certainly didn't have the night clubs we could easily go to, that were anywhere near us for easy commuting to and from, so many of us, plainly just missed out on the d*ug scene......I was talking to a friend about this post, and she said that there were d*ugs around like lsd, cocaine etc. I asked where? She said at the night clubs and that they gave it around for nothing.....(presumably to get one hooked on it, and then ask for the big moolas afterwards).....Now my friend is 10 years younger and virtually lived in the heart of the big city, and there's the difference in the time frame and geographics.....that younger gen were all into it, including my own brother, but by the time it was more readily available, I had already married and bought a house, had a full time job that kept me busy....so for some reason, many of those like myself, totally missed out on it all, and maybe that's not such a bad thing. I did witness the devastating effects it had, it made me very upset, to the point I was trying to find out more about it to save those nearest and dearest to me.
Needless to say, there wasn't much around with info on marijuana for instance, and the catchcry was.....it's harmless, or more harmless than alcohol. :roll:
But a lot of musicians used it to help them be more creative....the Beatles for instance, used it for their album Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band....but only for that, then they went off it.
But let me say, that no doubt most of my friends my age and older, including myself probably would have tried d*ugs out of curiosity or experimentation, but I am thankful I missed out. Truly.

One thing, we may have been a bit 'rebellious' as the older more stoic generation of our parents called us, but we did respect our elders, and more so, out of fear in a way.
We may have been rebels a bit, but still were not very independant, and certainly lived at home until married, as we didn't have much of 'unemployment benefits' lavished on us, so lack of that, kept us in place a bit, and not roam freely to waste money, as it was very little that came our way, hard earnt, and most of us showed responsiblity with what we did with our money.
Now, the government hands it out (benefits) all too easily and too many teens leave home way too early before they fully understand, or are prepared, for what the world out there really entails or can dish out. And the way of the world now, can be a very harsh reality for many of the youngsters wanting to go out there and live it.
Many are too outspoken, and think they have all the rights, can be self-centered, and don't seem to want to learn 'by examples' from others. Empathy needs to be learnt more.
From the age of 14 to 24 is a long haul, and too many have a lot of hard knocks they go through because of too much independance at too early a time and too much thinking they 'know it all'. I am sure we have all seen it. Life is a jungle, and if they think being independant on their own is so crash hot, I don't see too many of them happy for it.
I speak from seeing what my own daughter went through. We as loving parents want to protect them, but have to give up and let them learn their own hard way, and hopefully, they come out of it a bit unscathed.
And peer pressure and current trends of thinking and the time they are living 'in the now' and attitudes being so different to our own time, is where we can find many misunderstandings much to our own type of logic.
Yes, like I said, it can been a long haul.

danet

Post by danet »

Here's a negative thought that bothers me, it has been said, that with d*ugs being so rampant amidst our youth and effecting their mind scape, seratonin levels etc, we are going to end up with a lot of depressed people filling the future world. So with that, opens up a whole new concept of attitudes and problems, and misunderstandings. Brave new world huh? The future gen of pill poppers to fix this that 'n the other of whatever it was they imbalanced.

northern

Post by northern »

Upon watching a TV programme about youngsters drinking underage, this was the out come.
The police took drunk ittle johnny back to his parents to shame them.
The father emerged from the doorway and gave the police an unprintable torrent of verbal abuse.
Judging from the house and its near neighbours i am not in the least surprised as the out come.

So, in the light of what was shown.. They, the parents are not a good influnce on there off spring/s
What chance of little johnny got if the parents act like that to authority.
Blame the parents... Yes in some cases.. but i would have thought it better to try and educate
them '' the parents '' about the dangers of binge drinking first.
Not saying it's a cure all factor.. but it would not be a bad thing either :)

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

Danet ,,i agree with most of your post ,but this bit made me smile ..,
60s and 70s,flower power,and hippys and a good time by all aparently,LSD,and pot smoking where a hidden pleasure by many..-by anna

I have read the same things, anna. All I can say is that view of the 60's is absolutely nothing like my memories of the 60's.
Then again, I was a kid back then and, like danet, I went to catholic schools and let me promise you, between home and school, there wasn't a lot of lax morality going on around us. :lol:
There wasn't anything lax happening on TV either.
I do remember one thing. There was this big fashion carnival with an English model who came out for the Melbourne Cup.
She caused an uproar, an absolute scandal and i can still recall it.
Know what she did?
She went to the races without a hat or stockings, and her dress reached to just above her knees!!

I think people were disappointed actually as they had been expecting some sensational outfit and all they got was a shift.LOL
I scandalised my parents when i started wearing mini skirts but that was the extent of my rebellion. :lol:

The 70's-well, we read about flower power and the fashions changed but again, times were different. people married much younger then, on the whole. And if you were married at 21 and saving for a house etc, that didn't give you much time to be bothered with d*ugs.
Depends where you were and who you mixed with i suppose, but I remember the 60's as fairly formal times for ordinary folks. You never heard of people going off to live together and if girls became pregnant they either married fast or went away.

danet

Post by danet »

I do remember one thing. There was this big fashion carnival with an English model who came out for the Melbourne Cup.
She caused an uproar, an absolute scandal and i can still recall it.
Know what she did?
She went to the races without a hat or stockings, and her dress reached to just above her knees!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh yes Sherri, I so vividly remember that event, and I can still visualize the picture of her posing as such in the newspapers, that young model that caused an uproar was Jean Shrimpton 8)
I can't forget her name, along with Twiggy :D
I can also remember the most famous street in England as big time trend setters where all the 'somebodies' and anyone hippy would stroll down and shop there....it was called "Carnaby Street"...I was 13 when it was famously known. Friends of my folks went to England, and brought back a souvernier for me, it was a big match box with a picture of 2 hippies on the front, and the words Carnaby Street....well, I know if I have a dig, I might find it somewhere in me big ole house here and would love to scan it to paste here :lol: :lol:

Getting back to the topic of the law wanting to blame/fine/punish the parents for their kids behaviour, I also think that is ridiculous, no doubt, there are *some* parents that are not fit to be parents, but why should that tar *all* parents with the same brush? This needs to be individually assessed, case by case, and if parents are not doing the right thing protecting their young or rearing them up with any respect for the law or others, then those families could do with some sensible counselling. Sometimes, I think this bad behaviour is a way of crying out for attention.
I can honestly say, there are so good hearted parents that have a kid or 2 that may go off the rails, much to their horror, and it hurts then so much, they feel they have failed, now why on Earth should the friggin law punish them poor parents any more than they already have been?
This is why is should not be a 'general law' for all, but cases taken individually, sifted and sorted through, so the real dodgy dropbeat parent/s are made accountable. Then that would be the example made, so others can take heed of it and get their act together. So then they might say to their beligerant young teen son/daughter going out "Oh don't do anything stupid to get us all into trouble now....we don't want the coppers at our door"....even saying something simple like that might just do it. It would show the kid/s that the folks are a tad concerned....after all :roll:

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

And here she is "Jean Shrimpton" in that very dress on that very day, in Melbourne.

Absolutely shocking, isn't it. :shock:

danet said: it was called "Carnaby Street"...

It still is called Carnaby Street. :wink:

8)

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Baldy to the rescue =D> =D> =D> =D>

danet

Post by danet »

Geez settle down Global, you're getting all excited :lol: :lol:

Baldy.....well thanks for letting me know that Carnaby Street still exists :wink: :lol: :lol: Coz....I just haven't heard very much about it since then, in fact, nothing much at all has hit the news, it sort of just fizzled away......has it had anything of notoriety to report since then :?:
I think that Woodstock sort of took over and that was the end of the fashionable street walking hippies of Carnaby Street 8) In the meantime, here is the exact picture of Jean "the shrimp" in Melbourne at the Derby Day races in Flemington, on October 30th 1965, with a blistering 94deg farenheit. This British model, at age 22yrs, was the world's highest paid model

The very next year, I was in high school, and as this dress was the height of fashion, of modernity and simplicity, in our sewing class, we all made a dress out of this pattern to wear for summer. It was called something like an A frame cotton frock.....as it looked like an "A"......never mind, you might not understand, it's a girly sewing thing :wink: I really loved it all, the excitement of all them huge fashion and music changes that rocked the nation......awesome time to grow up as a teen, and a very creative time in fact.
I will never forget, I got my first "Dolly" magazine when I was 17 yrs of age. It was the "first edition" and I have only some fragments left of it, but it's actually worth a fortune now, if anyone has one in one whole original piece.

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

Thats nothing I was four years old when the shrimp was born.

danet

Post by danet »

Well that makes Jean around 65-66 years of age now :shock: golly how time flies! but that picture of her has made time stand still in a way. What a fantastic life she must of had.

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

She will be 66 in November danet.

Two years ago she appeared on Aussie TV in an episode of "20-1" entitled "An Aussie Scandal".

These days; she runs a B & B in Penzance, Cornwell, with her husband.

8)

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

Unless I missed it I have not seen one word about all the do gooders and the PC influence who have prevented both teachers and parents from smacking recalcitrant children. And unless we can overcome these people we will see more more kids going down the wrong road and making the wrong choices in life. And they have been imbued with the false notion that if it feels good we can and should be able to do it.

Elaine H
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Elaine H »

I was talking to a police officer recently about kids and drinking. Well, he told me that here, the kid may be arrested and sent immediately to juvenile detention for about 72 hours - and what's more, would then have to undergo a psychiatric evaluation, before being released to the custody of the parents.
I found this to be an interesting concept.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

Return to “The Corner Shop”