U K Drinking Laws

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

northern

U K Drinking Laws

Post by northern »

Good or bad thing that the Government is introducing new under age drinking laws.

i, myself cannot understand binge drinking.. no matter at what age.

Get the parents involved by all means.. But, to give the parents a criminal
record for not controlling there off springs drinking habits is unfair.
That is of course only my opinion.
why not just stay in the fine ( Financial ) bracket for the parents.
This crazy government goes from one extreme to another.

I/we see them youngsters walk down the street with a tab and can
in there hands... They think they know it all, so i think the law
the government is introducing is a good one. But, not to the
extent of a criminal record for the parents.

Scrappy

Re: U K Drinking Laws

Post by Scrappy »

Mmmm tough one...I myself agree..If My Kid was that way inclined he or she would get a good kicking up the Jacksey ass..NOT TOLERATED.. Mine do anyway..Depends on if the parents are complete drop kick idiots who dont give a dam.. To those that have tried but they have rebellious teens who wanna experiment as we all have done..But things are not the same ( do I have To say it ) Then what it was when we were teens..Teens these days have no respect for parents or Authority..Not all, some.. Punishing the parents is gonna do Jack for the Teens..

kayleighdee
Head Doer
Head Doer

Post by kayleighdee »

why wots the new law?

northern

Post by northern »

kayleighdee wrote:why wots the new law?
The law the government is proposing for under age drinkers
is this.

2 or 3 strikes from your child caught drinking, will result
in the Parents getting fined .. and or go to prison.
This of course will give the parents a criminal record.

The government has not got any answers .. so hit the parents.

kayleighdee
Head Doer
Head Doer

Post by kayleighdee »

northern wrote:
kayleighdee wrote:why wots the new law?
The law the government is proposing for under age drinkers
is this.

2 or 3 strikes from your child caught drinking, will result
in the Parents getting fined .. and or go to prison.
This of course will give the parents a criminal record.

The government has not got any answers .. so hit the parents.
thats stupid that lyk

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

You are right Scrappy children today do not have respect for authority and or property. Its stupid to punish someone for the crimes of someone else. Don't punish parents for when a child or young adult commits a crime against the laws of the land punish them appropriately not just a slap on the wrist. Because if an adult commits a crime you don't punish their children.

As I said in a previous post spare the rod and spoil the child. And that does not mean being brutal it just means proper punishment like a good spanking on their precious little backside with the hand. If one smack will do give it only one spack if they repeat their little bad behaviour well give them two smacks. Right from when they are toddlers. And toddlers usually are still weariung a nappy so they are not going to be really hurt but they are learning discipline. Which should carry on through their school years.
Last edited by Globalmyths on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

kayleighdee
Head Doer
Head Doer

Post by kayleighdee »

Globalmyths wrote:You are right Scrappy children today do not have respect for authority and or property. Its stupid to punish someone for the crimes of someone else. Don't punish parents for when a child or young adult punish them. Because if an adult commits a crime you don't punish their children.

As I said in a previous post spare the rod and spoil the child. And that does not mean being brutal it just means proper punishment like a good spanking on their precious little backside with the hand. If one smack will do give it only one spack if they repeat their little bad behaviour well give them two smacks.
i dont think that right either ya jus cant do anythin these days n tahts why ppl rebel against it.

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

My thoughts - here

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

How old are the kids the parents are supposed to control?
How about a novel new concept instead?? Holding people responsible for their own actions??
Not being able to fob the blame off onto others for every little thing in life?
So if a 16 year old is drunk or causes damage-how about they get charged and they get fined (even if the fine has to wait a few years to be collected).
Parents can only be responsible for so much and once kids are teens, those teens start to make their own decisions.

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly »

Damn right again Sherri.

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy »

Well said Sherri.. =D>
The raised alcohol prices, well pre-mixed, RTD here to try clamp down on binge drinking..To me thats just another excuse to rip consumers off again as usual, it is NOT gonna stop them..

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

The brewery's and hotels and wine shops make it too easy for a minor to obtain their booze. So they also should start wearing some of the responsibility. It was an insane move to can alcohol-spirits in cans like coke cans and those small bottles of premixed booze. was deliberately created to encourage minors to drink. It is a legal requirement in New Zealand for any shop that sells tobacco and alcohol to require proof of age if they look under 25 years of age. And its strictly enforced.
How was a totally inorganic world able to create organic life? Answer it couldn't and didn't

Blue...
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Blue... »

so what you are saying sherri, is that they should lower the age of one being considered a “minor”? … that would be a good start…

I also see a lot of parents giving their children alcohol at age 12/13 and also watching every moronic deadbeat dipshyt of a show cheap TV ever produced.. like big brother, home and away, neighbours, OC and every other who’s rooting who and who’s getting the drunkest and glorifying it show….

society is the problem… and our governments are allowing laws which allow big companies to target our children as well…

why would a 6 year old be wearing a G string? (you can already guess what her future is going to be)

and why would a 6 year old have an eating disorder?

parents that allow their children to get to that stage should be charged along with the companies that target children with adult products… drinking, smoking, adult type clothes and other products…

it's not rocket surgery... :5dunce:

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

On some things, yes, i think the law should charge even minors.
I think it was the same in UK when those boys of about 12 murdered the toddler.
Forget the names but I am sure people will recall the case.

As far as I am concerned, a 16 year old should be charged with things like vandalism or graffiti damage or violence.

If child is 6 years old, the case is a bit different.

I still have some problems with how far to go with charging parents though as I can promise you there is a big rise in things like aspergers syndrome/autism.
I don't know why-I think it goes beyond better diagnosis.
Martin Bryant, who killed the people at Port Arthur, has aspergers. It just means he has no empathy, won't understand or care about others. Not all aspie kids are dangerous, mind you. But some are.
I know of one child and I am not going to say from where, but he hammered all the chickens in the henhouse to death.
No reason.
Told everyone, too. But only that he got into trouble from mum and she told him not to tell anyone.
So.. you wonder what some of these kids will be like by the age of eg 12 or 18.

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy »

Well IMO if they are "Old" enough to THINK they can drink, smoke, have whoopeeee then they are old enough to take consequences.. Stop allowing the little buggers to get away with it cause they cry under age bullshyte..

Globalmyths
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Globalmyths »

Well said Scrappy.

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy »

Thank you :D ( takes a bow)

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads »

So Blue what did you do in your youth that you think your parents are responsible for?

Besides the BS television ... kids have their heads filled with their rights from an early age

& schools do a lot of that.

There is no formal type discipline allowed anymore ... and once you make rules for some and not for others or something untouchable
then you invite trouble.

This not only applies to children but minority groups within our societies.

Ask your mate Geoff Clarke about that one.

Yes there are many parents at fault and there is a category that dominates there, it's is common knowledge, but that's not all the time and there are more and more children from good backgrounds that are uncontrollable .... and not from any mental disorder ... add, adhd, aspergus, bi-polar etc .... geesus take your pick.

Excuses excuses. Bottom line is regardless of parenting children have minds of their own, that's supposed to be nurtured at all costs .... we are constantly told, "don't do this or don't do that or it will break little johnnies/janey's spirit.

BULLSHYTE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Children are taught their rights .....they are taught no respect so they show none, do as they please, they accept no responsibility for their actions ... it's always someone elses fault.

This is the generation of children that will be running the world ....... I can see it happening everyday, on the news, in the street, on public transport, in schools.

They all want to play the adult games way ahead of time ... and only want to be kids when it suits ... to save their arzes.

We reap what we sow ...... and it's gonna be a scary harvest.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

northern

Post by northern »

I was speaking to some lads and lass's yesterday evening about this proposed law.
they did not understand all of it.. which is fair enough.
They did say one thing.. It seems daft to them for there parents to
get a criminal record for there behaviour.. well said them. IMO.

They also said they get taught one thing at school and another at home.
this of course do not stop them drinking or smoking.
The lass's said they mainly smoke to keep slim.. This is to
emulate there pop stars figures. Who's to blame here ?

The lads say they drink and smoke because it's street cred for them
to do so.. other gangs do so .. so they must keep faith. crazy lot kids are.

We do not get any trouble from them as i take time and effort to try my best
to treat them like human beings as opposed to dorks.
They in turn always say hello Mr blah Blah when they see me. also when i am
with the lass or the lass by her self they will be pleasant to her.

Who to blame for the younger generation and there ways today..i do not know.
But, like gnads said.. we reap the harvest we sow... even if it be government
control or parent control.

i do not defend or attack.. why is it always white youths roaming the streets
As that seems to be the norm around here. Drinking under age and smoking.
No Muslim groups.. no Pakistanie groups.. chinese groups.. No indian groups.
with Tabs and cans of beer in there hands. Just white youths. As everyone
know..Manchester is full of the other ethnics. i know it happens ..but 90%
seem to be white gangs only.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri »

Gnads, my own feeling is most people and most kids are not too bad.
The world will get on in the future the way it has always got on-lurching a bit here and there, good times and bad.

You say schools fill kids with ideas of a lot of their rights etc
There probably are times when that has been true.
But I don't see schools as leaders in social order. I see them more as places that respond to social changes in the wider world.
The basic truth is that a lot of the current parents of primary kids today are the ones who were born in the 70's.
They grew up in a time when the 'strap' etc was being phased out and they may never have seen anything like that in their own schooling.
Parents today ring up and complain if their child 'doesn't want to go' to lessons or 'doesn't like' the teacher, even if nothing has been done to those children. It is a totally different mind set.
It is okay to talk about how discipline isn't the same but how would you suggest teachers go about it? Let me just say that everyone thinks discipline is fine-but there is hardly a parent out there who wants it for their own child and who wouldn't scream blue murder if their child was hit or strapped.
There are some exceptions.
Recently at our school, some kids had to take home a discipline note to be signed by parents. it just outlined what the problem at school had been-what their child did-and what the consequence or punishment was. The parents sign it to show that they have seen it.
One parent came down to the school and asked why such notes are sent home-as they shame the family to see such things.
Discipline was the job at the school and while the child was there, the teacher was the one who should do all the discipline and deal with it there. The teachers had total permission-if they felt they had to chop the child's hand off, then they could.
The parent's words were-you own the child while they are here.
As you can guess, this was a recent migrant family-Ethiopian in fact.
But what we accept as a fair thing and reasonable discipline varies from culture to culture and from age to age I suspect.
It isn't so easy to say who is right and who is wrong.

Return to “The Corner Shop”