British Grand Prix

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

British Grand Prix

Post by curly » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:00 am

I feel particularly sorry for Sir Jackie Stewart in his efforts to secure finance for the 2005 British Grand Prix. Bernie Ecclestone (in his wisdom) has decided to leave it out of next year's calendar, despite the race being contested every year since 1950 when the World Championship began. In that time the race has been held at Aintree, Brands Hatch, and Silverstone. I'm astonished that Formula 1 (Ecclestone) can ask for an increased fee from the British Racing Driver's Club who run Silverstone, and he didn't even bother approaching our other top circuits such as Brands Hatch and Donnington Park. Could it be that the whole issue revolves around the ban on tobacco advertising, and that Ecclestone is more prepared to take Formula 1 to places such as China, Malaysia, Bahrain, and Turkey, where huge sponsorship deals are to be made?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 703350.stm

Apicture from Johnnie Herbert's site when he won the race in 1998.

Derekftm
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Derekftm » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:47 pm

Was a sport i used to really enjoy
But now only watch the start then flick over

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:15 am

From the BBC today;

Ecclestone defiant over GP

British GP axed
Feature: Silverstone swansong?
Bernie Ecclestone has indicated that Silverstone has almost no hope of making it back on to the 2005 calendar.
The F1 supremo said the omission of the British GP would be a formality when the calendar went before ruling body the FIA's world council on 13 October.

"They can't ratify anything. I put the calendar together and that's it.

"The deadline for contracts to be submitted was 30 September and they (Silverstone) didn't submit," Ecclestone told BBC Radio Northampton.

"We've got to assume from that that they didn't want to have an event."

However, in a later interview with BBC Five Live, Ecclestone suggested that Silverstone might win a reprieve if the F1 teams agreed to an 18-race season.

But he stressed that Silverstone's owners the British Racing Drivers' Club would still have to meet his financial requirements for staging the race.

We're happy to come back again - I didn't want to leave

Bernie Ecclestone
It was the BRDC's failure to agree a deal by Thursday's deadline which led to the race being left off the provisional 2005 schedule.

"It's a bit late because there are 17 races on the calendar, 17 contracts in place on the 30th [of September] to say to the FIA 'these are on the calendar'," he said.

"[But] I suppose if they come up with what we propose, and the teams decide to run 18 races, then we could probably get the FIA to agree with that."

Ecclestone insisted he had done all he could to come to an agreement with the BRDC.

And he rejected suggestions that he was to blame for the likely disappearance of the British Grand Prix for the first time since 1950.

"There's a product here that's for sale," he said.

"If I walk into a shop and I don't want to pay what they're asking I can't say it's their greed because I couldn't afford it."

Lowdown on the Silverstone saga

The British Grand Prix is not the only race under threat as the French GP at Magny Cours could also be dropped to trim the provisional calendar from 19 to 17 races.

China and Bahrain made their debuts on the F1 schedule this season - to take the total to 18 races - and Turkey is due to be added in 2005.

But Ecclestone said Silverstone's exile from Formula One would not necessarily be permanent.

"If they want to take a couple of years off and rebuild the circuit and if they can make it work we're happy to come back again. I didn't want to leave," he said.

captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:07 pm

to be honest the F1 has no more legitimicy at being representitve of a world title than the phony boxing ones dreamt up by Don whatsisname, you cannot have serious sport run as a personal fiefdom like F1.
They should change it to the style in the USA where the teams use same engines and chassis and the best overall team win not the ones with most money

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:21 pm

I don't agree totally on that one, if there was a control chassis and engine, as in Champcars, we wouldn't necessarily see the technological advances that eventually filter down to our road cars.
I'd rather see an absolute ceiling put on teams budgets, and a reduction in the entrance fees for teams, to boost the size of the grids.

Return to “The Corner Shop”