Durham Miners Gala

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

Hugh Jass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Durham Miners Gala

Post by Hugh Jass » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:23 pm

Well we have just had a lovely trip out to this event and what a great time we've had. Seen some of the lads again, great people, lots of nice food, brass bands and rides for the kiddies, highly recommended
Howdy I'm Howie

captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:07 pm

Isn't it about time they changed the name of the event / gathering

sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:29 pm

whats a miner

brian c
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by brian c » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:06 pm

sless wrote:whats a miner

Somebody who is about 10 years old.

8)

STUPID YOU ARE.................

BREED YOU SHOULD NOT!

neil maxwell
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Durham miners Gala

Post by neil maxwell » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:18 am

The DMG is now reckoned to be the country's biggest trade union event. At least 50,000 people turned up yesterday for the Gala.

However, if you just want to hear the bands or take your minor to the many kiddies rides (it's bigger than Shields Fair) that can also be for you.

We took our five year old daughter so she could see the bands and then go on umpteen kiddies rides. Result one happy child.

I did manage to slope off and leave my wife and the bairn when the were in the face painting tent and listen to Benn & Skinner. They had a lot of good things to say about Gordon Brown such as the recent annoucement about giving student grants to people of a less well off background.

However, just like Hugh Jass it was good to bump into people who I had not seen for years.

The only downside was the 50 bus to Durham from Keppel Street. It took 1 hour forty minutes to travel the 18 miles as the crow fly's!

Next year the train.

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:12 am

Did anyone tell the kids that these ex-miners tried to bring down two elected governments?

What will they call this event when there are no more deep mines - oops!

When will the National Union of Miners be disbanded?

Do they still have a life President enjoying all the benefits?

In this day and age of eco friendly alternative green fuel sources is coal still being talked about without a mention of carbon footprints?

Does anyone talk about how Scargill and the NUM tried their hardest to price thousands of workers out of their jobs, thus playing into the hands Thatcher and Joseph? (Clever tactics)

Why does the price of my lottery ticket go towards making new banners for non existent pits?

Does pitmatic still exist?

Do these ex miners still walk from ex pits all the way to Durham?

Is the Durham Miners gala still an excuse for a good day out and a long session at the boozer?

When exactly will this farce be brought to a close?

Jim_in_France
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Durham miners Gala

Post by Jim_in_France » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:31 am

neil maxwell wrote:The DMG is now reckoned to be the country's biggest trade union event. At least 50,000 people turned up yesterday for the Gala.

However, if you just want to hear the bands or take your minor to the many kiddies rides (it's bigger than Shields Fair) that can also be for you.

We took our five year old daughter so she could see the bands and then go on umpteen kiddies rides. Result one happy child.

I did manage to slope off and leave my wife and the bairn when the were in the face painting tent and listen to Benn & Skinner. They had a lot of good things to say about Gordon Brown such as the recent annoucement about giving student grants to people of a less well off background.

However, just like Hugh Jass it was good to bump into people who I had not seen for years.

The only downside was the 50 bus to Durham from Keppel Street. It took 1 hour forty minutes to travel the 18 miles as the crow fly's!

Next year the train.

Thats what I like to see! One happy child...........50,000 unemployed miners! :?
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Oscar Wilde

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:54 am

The daft thing is, most of them have got other jobs now!

neil maxwell
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Durham Miners Gala

Post by neil maxwell » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:47 pm

It's not compulsory to consume alcoholic beverages (we didn't) or to listen to the speakers. I doubt if more than two thousand out of the fifty thousand who were in Durham on saturday actually listened to the speakers.

What you now find is that the DMG has become a very lagre family type event that celebrates our Durham mining heritage.

I know you are not in to promoting another town's event (your video of the seafront on saturday night really captured that event, I know because we were there too!) but why not try the DMG for yourself Curly?

Don't take the bus!

curly
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by curly » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:33 am

I was fascinated to read that they had an Indian brass band there, a bit unusual. I wonder how many coal mines there are in India?

I could seriously fancy a trip to the Gala one day, but it would probably clash with something more exciting in South Shields.

Jerry
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jerry » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:10 am

Curly, India is one of the largest coal producers in the world. It has reserves of 255 billion tonnes. India derives twice as much energy from coal than it does from oil.

Of course, we never see Indian coal-mines on TV any more than we see those in Australia - another large producing country.

Historically India was/is famed for the extraction of precious stones. The colleges at the Indian School of MInes are named after precious stones - Ruby College is the one for girls.

In Shakespeare's time the North East coalfield was known as the Black Indies for this reason.

Michael Drayton, the Elizabethan poet wrote of Newcastle:

That place no lesse is fam'd
Than India for her Mynes...

A heritage of 800 years should not be tossed aside. If we ignore our history we trivialise ourselves. Even if the DMG nowadays is a good day out rather than a political event, many of those present would have parents, grandparents and ancestors buried in the coalfield cemeteries, and plenty buried much deeper.

Even if your lottery money goes to renovate banners, I would think there are much worse causes.
http://www.myersnorth.co.uk

Either everybody matters or nobody matters

Hugh Jass
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Hugh Jass » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:50 pm

curly wrote:The daft thing is, most of them have got other jobs now!
I saw me mate Rob Aka there, he used to be in a band aswell ..a great and quite crazy guy, gave us lotsa laughs at work :lol:
Howdy I'm Howie

Return to “The Corner Shop”