Conversations on planes

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Conversations on planes

Post by Pilot » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:54 pm

On longer flights my wife and I quickly put on earphones and listen to music to escape people who drone on at you, but on shorter flights like a recent one from Newcastle to jersey we didn't bother. Big mistake this woman next to my wife took a big deep breath on take off and hardly shut up for an hour, we got her life story first but then in a surprise twist she started on about fox hunting in jersey, now you may not know but there are no foxes on the island of jersey, however this doesn't stop the good people of jersey from fox hunting they scent up some rags and drag it through the countryside so the hounds can track and the good people of jersey follow. Now what do they use for scent ? Fox urine of course, I didn't ask where they got it from or how they harvested it, but without hardly stopping to take breath all was explained, they import the urine from the USA ! Of course seems logical, thankfully they announced we would be landing in 10 minutes before she got around to telling us how they actually collect the urine :D
Has anyone been subjected to a better conversation on a plane.
I voted leave

jeff
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Conversations on planes

Post by jeff » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:50 pm

Not sure if it was the first or second time we returned from Oz, but we had a most obnoxious character sat next to us. We try and get an aisle seat if possible to help with mobility for us both (wonky knees!).

We had just settled into our seats at Tullamarine (Melbourne) and there was a spare seat by the window, so we thought , hey ho we shall have a bit more room. Not so. Right at the last possible minute some bloke staggered into the cabin looking for his seat. He had spent most of the day in the bar, having arrived early at Melbourne on an internal connecting flight.

He spent some time drinking and then towards supper time he advised us all that he was hungry and wasn't it time for the food.
Some passengers quite near obviously had special diets and were served before us.
That did not deter him. He said to me..."That woman across there,she looks ad thopugh shes finished, but she's left quite a bit of food...I'm starving, can you ask her if I can finish off her meal?" "No way mate. If you want it you ask for it!"

A little later he went to sleep, but had a can of coke in the cup holder/tray in front of him. He woke up with a bit of a start, brought his knees up and knocked the coke can all over OH lap. He was quite embarrassed at this and spent the rest of the flight to Singapore in the galley chatting up the lady stewards.

Thankfully he had to change seats from Singapore to Dubai and from Dubai to London we had fortunately been able to do an upgrade, by kind permission of some very good friends who had given us some air miles.

We saw no more of him until he disapeared into the distance at Heathrow, oblivious of all and sundry and the fuss he had caused in the first place.
There's nothing wrong with being mediocre........as long as you're good at it!

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:50 am

sorry jeff I did have a few that day!
STAY CALM AND SANDDANCE ON

champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:45 pm

It is years since I have been anywhere on a plane, I'm more usually to be found using the train between London and Newcastle. I can quite understand the irritation of people subjected a continuous monologue on a long journey, especially if you are travelling in company. That said, if you are travelling alone, a little light conversation with a fellow traveller can often be welcome and make the journey seem much shorter. My pet hate is to get stuck opposite someone who turns the table into a desk, and spends the journey tapping away on their laptop computer or staring at their smart phone, which of course they have every entitlement to do, but it can make three hours seem like five. :(

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:31 pm

We fly between 16 and 20 times a year and the one item you must have are earphones, music is optional but stick the earphones on anyway, I,m not antisocial but you get some strange people on planes and they are usually the ones who can't shut up.
I voted leave

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:58 am

surely pilot you have mentioned your pension to a few fellow passengers

Pilot
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Pilot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:38 pm

i use Mrs P as a sort of buffer zone as often as i can grabbing the window seat as far as pensions are concerned i like to keep people in the dark they probably just think i won the lotto.
I voted leave

captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by captain beefheart » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:57 am

never had the problem really but that must be because i turn left when entering the plane

andysfootball

Post by andysfootball » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:45 am

captain beefheart wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:57 am
never had the problem really but that must be because i turn left when entering the plane
you'll get into trouble for going to the business class toilets!

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:27 am

i have the perfect solution to this problem so I have.
GB FIRST

champion.
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by champion. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:48 pm

Thinking about it i would make the perfect person to sit beside on a plane...now there's a thought :lol:

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:40 pm

'' Conversations on planes ''

It remind's me of the conversation from my parachute instructor.

4 jump's I made to gain my wing's.

All he said was, green light jump jump jump.
GB FIRST

siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:48 pm

travelling home from finland to amsterdam at check in in sweden there was no passengers only the check in crew. i thought i was late and rushed down the jetway to board the plane, when i looked around there was only one other passenger aboard. it was then i found it was an aeroflot plane. the flight attendants vanished never saw them until amsterdam. so we a nice chat about are we really going to amsterdam or moscow?. only plane i have been on that had a window in the toilet roof. never saw my luggage again until a week later, was i glad to get to newcastle.
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.

memor
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber
Location: Retired under a big umbrela in the sun with a glass of champagne

Post by memor » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:50 pm

Unfortunately I used to tend to talk a lot on trains an Coaches. Nerves mostly.

Learnt to shut up though. Even I thought I was a boring b*****d.

Till one day after not saying many words to a stranger opposite. I heard her say to the person she was meeting.

"Thank god that journeys over sat opposite a boring bug*er who's hardly said anything."

You can't win.
I always value Pilots wit and input

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:53 pm

memor wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:50 pm
Unfortunately I used to tend to talk a lot on trains an Coaches. Nerves mostly.

Learnt to shut up though. Even I thought I was a boring b*****d.

Till one day after not saying many words to a stranger opposite. I heard her say to the person she was meeting.

"Thank god that journeys over sat opposite a boring bug*er who's hardly said anything."

You can't win.

How true Memor, we have all become so insular now and that's a shame as fellow travelers can be very interesting and help brighten up a long journey.

Return to “The Corner Shop”