New Zealand

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: New Zealand

Post by max Headroom » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:36 am

Well it's been found to be effective against dole bludging mexicans.
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:35 pm

It's expensive but it's quite a long ride and an amazing view. Down here in Victoria you'll pay a premium for other similar rides such as Arthur's seat Eagle. Everything aimed at tourists is expensive, unfortunately.

Come to think of it, you would probably enjoy the cruise around NZ too, Rosie. Although there is some risk of choppy seas going across the Tasman. You might make a better sailor than I do though. After our first cruise, about 48 hours later, I was sitting at the dining room table & suddenly felt like I had to grab it or I would fall off the chair. :lol:

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by niagraa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:19 pm

sherri wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:35 pm
It's expensive but it's quite a long ride and an amazing view. Down here in Victoria you'll pay a premium for other similar rides such as Arthur's seat Eagle. Everything aimed at tourists is expensive, unfortunately.

Come to think of it, you would probably enjoy the cruise around NZ too, Rosie. Although there is some risk of choppy seas going across the Tasman. You might make a better sailor than I do though. After our first cruise, about 48 hours later, I was sitting at the dining room table & suddenly felt like I had to grab it or I would fall off the chair. :lol:
i don't know much about land sickness (as they called it in that movie waterworld with kevin costner) but after two weeks working on my first commercial fishing vessel which was a prawn trawler in darwin when i was 16, i walked a mile to my favourite watering hole, but half the time it felt like i was walking from one side of the footpath to the other and making very little distance in a straight line..

and NO! i am not describing the effects of 30 litres of bourbon in one sitting..

in fact, the skipper didn't let me drink after the first day, and that was only vb..

i was on other fishing boats later on, but i was never affected with the "land sickness" like i was on that first ever fishing trip.

so sherry. i'm wondering if your "falling off the chair feeling" 48 hours later, might not have been due to something else, i suggest you ask andy or pilot if they know anything that explains your experience, they are the experienced men on ships, and if your case is a typical thing, they may be able to say so..

but myself. i think your equilibrium should have been normal by then..

perhaps you need to be looked at.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:56 pm

:lol:
Niagraa, it was over 9 years ago so it might be a bit late to be looked at.
I just had these fleeting moments when I felt like I was still on a ship, swaying. Lasted about 48 hours, wore off.
I can get affected by motion, whether on a boat or in a car or bus. Not so much nowadays.

Can't say it has affected me on other cruises since then.

niagraa
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by niagraa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:40 pm

sherri wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:56 pm
:lol:
Niagraa, it was over 9 years ago so it might be a bit late to be looked at.
I just had these fleeting moments when I felt like I was still on a ship, swaying. Lasted about 48 hours, wore off.
I can get affected by motion, whether on a boat or in a car or bus. Not so much nowadays.

Can't say it has affected me on other cruises since then.
well there ya go then..

it's oobvious...

your just a whinging old coow...:)

sorry sherri, ive been watching a show called "still game", scottish comedians, i watch them twice a year, they've affected my sense of humour at the moment..

but that doesn't negate the fact that your eqilibrium was affected 48 hours after it shouldn't have..

it may have been an early warning for something that no one could possibly have imagined..

and if so, thankfully nothing more has come of it... YET..

Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:56 pm

Right, I've decided I'm going, just have to work out when. Can't go February as I would have to go on my own, I actually wouldn't mind that. Hopefully it will be March but my friend has to get the OK from her doctor who she is seeing tomorrow. If she can't go then it will be April with my sister.

I don't care how much the skyrail costs, it's something I have wanted to do for a long time. Up by rail and down on the cable car. I don't think my friend will come with me on it.

I suffer from vertigo so don't know how I will go with that but I'm about to find out.

Sherri I doubt I will go to New Zealand, it's not on my bucket list. I would like to go to Alice Springs and Uluru which hopefully I will manage to do. Also I have always wanted to walk on the great wall of China but with the vertigo that is out so will just be a dream.
Life doesn't have an undo button

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:02 pm

You'll be fine in the sky rail, it is fully enclosed.
Sometimes when you're probably only going to a place once, it's worth it just to pay over the money if there's something you want to do. I still remember being in Rotorua & thinking we would visit the baths there. Like a swimming pool only they're heated from the springs. Stood outside sputtering as the cost was outrageous, but in the end we went because it was one of the things we had looked forward to doing.

Rosie, travel insurance. Even though it is a cruise in Australia, you're not covered for medical, so it pays to take it out.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:22 pm

I buy my travel insurance covering 12 months at a time at $543.00 much cheaper than buying a policy each trip and also it covers travel within australia beyond a distance from home at 250 kls, so if you travel once a year buy the single trip one.
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:02 am

Yes, I know all about travel insurance, just haven't had to worry about it before.

Sherri on the skyrail you can have a cable car with a glass bottom. I'll never talk my friend into that but if I'm on my own I'll have no problem talking me into it.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:37 am

I suppose if one travels within australia you won't need it.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:12 am

The ships are a bit different, max. I don't know why exactly but the minute they leave harbour they classify it as international waters or some such thing. So if you suffer an injury or need to see a doctor on board it is very expensive.

It's one of those things you don't think you'll need but the last cruise we were on, 3 out of 4 of us had to visit the doctor at various stages.

It pays to take out the insurance as soon as you book the holiday then if something happens that causes you to cancel at the last minute, you can get money back.

Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:13 am

max Headroom wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:37 am
I didn't say I've never had to have travel insurance, just that I have never had to worry about it before.

Sherri, if you have to see the Dr do you have to pay up front? I expect you do but just asking.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:34 am

I'm not sure but I would think it goes on your cruise card bill. Everything you buy on board goes on your cruise card, you never deal in money. It is about the size of a credit card and works much the same way. You can get a print out every day if you want, to see how the bills are mounting up but on the last day your amount owing is automatically deducted from your credit card before you can leave the ship.

The reason I can't tell you exactly is I did need medical advice. I was having a bad allergic reaction with face & lips swelling up so went & pressed the button at 7am & a nurse came down. She told me what to get etc and watched for about 10 minutes but didn't charge me.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:35 am

Rosie wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:13 am
max Headroom wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:37 am
I didn't say I've never had to have travel insurance, just that I have never had to worry about it before.

Sherri, if you have to see the Dr do you have to pay up front? I expect you do but just asking.
Share via Email
If I take a cruise along Australia's coastline and need to see the ship's doctor, are my medical expenses covered by Medicare?

Probably not. Chances are you might see a doctor who is not registered to practice in Australia and who does not have a provider number, and therefore any medical expenses you incur would be your responsibility.

SEE ALSO
Australia travel guide
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Smart Traveller website advises “Medicare benefits are only payable to cruise passengers if you are travelling between two Australian ports, with no intermediate stops outside Australia, and services are provided by a Medicare-eligible doctor.”

Even when a vessel is sailing from one Australian port to another, there is no requirement that any doctor employed aboard be registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.

You can contact your cruise line to find out whether your cruise vessel will have a Medicare-eligible doctor, and get it in writing.

If not, this is yet another good reason to get travel insurance.

In a worst-case scenario, a medical emergency that cannot be treated on board might require a medical evacuation at sea, and the cost could be skywards of $100,000.

Pay a few hundred or loose out big time.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 am

sherri wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:12 am
The ships are a bit different, max. I don't know why exactly but the minute they leave harbour they classify it as international waters or some such thing. So if you suffer an injury or need to see a doctor on board it is very expensive.

It's one of those things you don't think you'll need but the last cruise we were on, 3 out of 4 of us had to visit the doctor at various stages.

It pays to take out the insurance as soon as you book the holiday then if something happens that causes you to cancel at the last minute, you can get money back.
Doesn't private health insurance have OS travel coverage ... or is that separate?

Rosie I thought all the cable cars on Skyrail had a clear/see through bottom.... that's why I was so nervy when I went.
Nappies & Politicians should be changed often. Both for the same reason.
I don't have an attitude I have a personality you can't handle.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:03 am

Just saw you last post Max.

That answers my question mostly.

I''l have to put it on my fund if they have a travel policy.

Rosie
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Rosie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 am

gnads wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 am
Rosie I thought all the cable cars on Skyrail had a clear/see through bottom.... that's why I was so nervy when I went.
From looking at their website it says you can upgrade to a glass bottomed gondola so they don't all have glass bottoms. You can also upgrade to gold class on the train.

Back to the travel insurance. If you have a platinum visa card it includes travel insurance for you and your partner. I don't have a credit card of any sort now let alone a platinum one. So, I'll just have to get travel insurance for this trip.

On some cruise ships you have to have a credit card but not on P&O. From what I can gather the on board card can be topped up with cash or my visa savings card.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:53 am

from memory, those who had a consultation on board the ship paid about $150 or more for the visit. That didn't include medication etc
Refundable with the travel insurance.
If there are existing medical conditions that ups the cost of the insurance, too. :?

But most people who go on cruises are fine, no major illnesses. I think the doctors treat a lot of sea sickness, things like that. But the trip along far north Queensland is fairly smooth, you'll be right.

gnads
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gnads » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Rosie wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 am
gnads wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 am
From looking at their website it says you can upgrade to a glass bottomed gondola so they don't all have glass bottoms. You can also upgrade to gold class on the train.

Back to the travel insurance. If you have a platinum visa card it includes travel insurance for you and your partner. I don't have a credit card of any sort now let alone a platinum one. So, I'll just have to get travel insurance for this trip.

On some cruise ships you have to have a credit card but not on P&O. From what I can gather the on board card can be topped up with cash or my visa savings card.
YeaH good o Rosie.

re: the Credit card or your lack thereof .... I see you said you have a Visa Savings Card .... that is what's called a Debit Card .... it's hooked to your bank account & when you use it ..... you can nominate whether you use the "savings" key or the "credit" key. It doesn't matter.... if you don't have money in your account the transaction won't be approved. My bank told me to use the credit key when making purchases as it saves on fees. It won't let you use the credit key if you are getting cash out. Using the credit feature doesn't use the banks money like a credit card .... only the money in your account.

So when you speak of "on some ships you have to have a credit card" .... your Visa Savings Debit Card serves the same purpose. I only have a Debit Card so ...if account empty me no can spendy. :)

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:16 pm

sherri wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:53 am
from memory, those who had a consultation on board the ship paid about $150 or more for the visit. That didn't include medication etc
Refundable with the travel insurance.
If there are existing medical conditions that ups the cost of the insurance, too. :?

But most people who go on cruises are fine, no major illnesses. I think the doctors treat a lot of sea sickness, things like that. But the trip along far north Queensland is fairly smooth, you'll be right.
What it boils down to that only ingnorant people travel without insurance, these idiots are prepared to loose their house if evacuated, get stung with expensive medical bills and medication, hospital and or accommodation in another country if unable to travel, loosing booked flights, paying for new flights. Most asian countries you pay all medical costs before treatment, no pay no treatment and I recall one person was being operated on and the procedure was stopped half way because the patient could only come up with half payment so if you think it is worth the risk then travel without it and never travel to arhnercah because then it gets very expensive.

Return to “The Corner Shop”