DNA

Welcome to The Corner Shop

Moderator: andysfootball

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: DNA

Post by max Headroom » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:46 pm

Google company is a worry it wants to know everything about everything.
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

J Jackson
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by J Jackson » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:47 pm

^^ Unless it has audio that is Ralph ! :D
KEEP ALL CHILDREN AWAY FROM DADDY O !!

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:29 pm

I agree, Ralph.
I had my DNA done with ancestry as the results are private & the system allows the owner to choose the degree of shared information.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:45 pm

Except when a court order is issued.
USA USA USA, DESTROY, KILL, MAIM, WAR HERO'S ALL OF US, I LOVE TRUMP GOD BLESS ARRRRHMERIA, OPEN CARRY, MORE KILL, FRIENDLY FIRE.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:55 pm

I'll take my chances.
My guess is the ancestry DNA sample wouldn't be much help & the chain of evidence to prove it was mine would be too hard-they would be better off ordering a fresh sample for testing.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:10 am

A sample can be of any age, there is a use by date 50,000 yrs ?

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:15 am

Not the age that's the problem, it is the proof the sample is actually mine.
I have about 7 DNA samples linked to my DNA account, max. How could you prove which is mine or that no one switched numbers?
Most of those samples are not related to me in any way either.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:18 am

I don't know you'll have to ask the one who tested your samples.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:27 am

max Headroom wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:18 am
I don't understand your comment. The testing is done in USA against a number stuck on the sample. How would they know which is mine as I had not assigned a name to it.

Ancestry could certainly say that 8 kits have been bought on my account, but they could not say who they were for unless I later assign names. Even then, it is just my word for it.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:32 am

sherri wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:27 am
max Headroom wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:18 am
I don't understand your comment. The testing is done in USA against a number stuck on the sample. How would they know which is mine as I had not assigned a name to it.
See above.

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:39 am

A machine tested my samples.

max Headroom
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by max Headroom » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:53 am

That must have been fun.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:05 am

J Jackson wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:47 pm
^^ Unless it has audio that is Ralph ! :D
Quite so. I really had in mind the good that comes from the way it has been used to track the last movements of people who have gone missing and identifying people committing criminal acts. We all say things at times that are intended only for the person we are talking to, few people would want their privacy invaded to the extent having pub landlords listening in.

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:10 pm

A classic case in mind is the Boston Marathon Bombers. Remember the two brothers that used pressure cookers to make bombs out of, which killed three people and injured hundreds of others.

A local Boston police officer asked every business owner within a 10 block radius if he could view their security camera footage for that day and night. Most agreed and from that surveillance they had photographs of the two Tsarnaev brothers and the direction of travel they went in. It wasn't too long later that they had the footage of the license plate of their vehicle. The FBI then issued arrest warrants and both were captured within 24 hours. Absolutely great detective work on the part of the Boston Police and the FBI. Fortunately, the one brother who survived was tried in Federal Court and received the death penalty. Massachusetts has no death penalty.

No audio was used, or needed to be used. Most of the video came from ATM machines and other surveillance similar type cameras.

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Daddy O wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:10 pm
A classic case in mind is the Boston Marathon Bombers. Remember the two brothers that used pressure cookers to make bombs out of, which killed three people and injured hundreds of others.

A local Boston police officer asked every business owner within a 10 block radius if he could view their security camera footage for that day and night. Most agreed and from that surveillance they had photographs of the two Tsarnaev brothers and the direction of travel they went in. It wasn't too long later that they had the footage of the license plate of their vehicle. The FBI then issued arrest warrants and both were captured within 24 hours. Absolutely great detective work on the part of the Boston Police and the FBI. Fortunately, the one brother who survived was tried in Federal Court and received the death penalty. Massachusetts has no death penalty.

No audio was used, or needed to be used. Most of the video came from ATM machines and other surveillance similar type cameras.
Yes, a case illustrating where the balance is right.

Daddy O
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Daddy O » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:29 pm

Mark Wahlberg made a very good and factual movie about it titled "Patriots Day".

If you ever get a chance.......watch it. Wahlberg, played the part of the Boston Police Officer that put most of the facts together.

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:02 pm

DNA is used here in the UK for a number of reasons.

I know where my family originate from and have no need for DNA tests.

No silver spoon for whip, just hard graft and rewarded by the bounty it generates.

I would change my name by deed pole if it was anyway related to Royalty.

Poncy load of free loaders they are for sure.
GB FIRST

sherri
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sherri » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:56 pm

DNA testing on Ancestry probably isn't for everyone, whip.
It's not about trying to relate to royalty or otherwise, although everyone's wider family tree (even the Queen's) is going to have an assortment of different types. :D Everyone has their own story.
I did it to find out where my own types of DNA were most commonly found in the world, yes, but mainly to make contact with others who currently share DNA-second, third, fourth cousins etc. Ancestry. com DNA can't confirm matches with dead people except by implication.

The fun of finding distant relatives is being able to share information & photos & stories. If you enjoy a bit of history, it can be fascinating. I'm currently loving tracing one family's journey to Australia, their travel to the goldfields, their claim, the history of their cottage. Looking at old photos shared with me and seeing traces of a close cousin staring at me.

It's the connections to other people with similar interests that is the best thing-total strangers on there who go out of their way to help you.
But it's not a hobby for everyone, I know that. To each his own, I guess. :D

whip
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by whip » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:33 am

sherri wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:56 pm
It's not about trying to relate to royalty or otherwise, although everyone's wider family tree (even the Queen's) is going to have an assortment of different types. :D Everyone has their own story.
I did it to find out where my own types of DNA were most commonly found in the world, yes, but mainly to make contact with others who currently share DNA-second, third, fourth cousins etc. Ancestry. com DNA can't confirm matches with dead people except by implication.

The fun of finding distant relatives is being able to share information & photos & stories. If you enjoy a bit of history, it can be fascinating. I'm currently loving tracing one family's journey to Australia, their travel to the goldfields, their claim, the history of their cottage. Looking at old photos shared with me and seeing traces of a close cousin staring at me.

It's the connections to other people with similar interests that is the best thing-total strangers on there who go out of their way to help you.
So long as you are happy with it then so be it.
GB FIRST

ralph
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by ralph » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:44 pm

sherri wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:56 pm

Re the descent from royalty: one of the 'Who do you think you are?' programmes on TV looked into the ancestry of man who regularly appears in one our 'soap-operas'. He plays a rough character and it appears he doesn't have to act too much for the part. :D He turned out to be a direct descendent of one of our more famous Kings, Edward III. (Genealogists believe at least 80 of English people are descended from him) :lol: It's not where you start that matters, it's where you end up!

Return to “The Corner Shop”