The Disillusioned autobiography of Shields lad, DavidW.Scott

Meet up with other ex pats
Stephen Crane
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

The Disillusioned autobiography of Shields lad, DavidW.Scott

Post by Stephen Crane »

http://www.less10.com/Books/History/Gen ... _id=631792

more readers have reviewed in the online shopping link above, get the book, its a great laugh, and heartbreaking too....

Lots of stories in here about growing up in Shields, drinking and scoring with 'trim', picture of Marsden Rock and the author on the cover circa 1994 - loved it

Here's the book's blurb and review

The Disillusioned is a ruthlessly honest memoir of a young man who writes both searingly and disarmingly about the highs and lows, the perils and promise of our times.

The Disillusioned encompasses three decades, beginning with the impressionable child indoctrinated with the propaganda of Thatcher's Britain, a lack of role models and any sense of belonging. It is a gripping story of obsessive ambition, discrimination, scams, suicidal impulses, alcoholism, the search for love, loss and the quest for redemption in New Zealand. It is David Scott's story, but also the story of a disillusioned silent majority; the story of young people bogged down with debt and disillusionment; the story, too, of the increasing dangers facing our children in a materialistic world where family bonds and values are sacrificed for higher incomes and status.

"The Disillusioned is a surprisingly compulsive read about what I call the Misfit Generation - the one beguiled at first by the challenge of rational economics and then bewildered by its effects. David Scott's odyssey is to find self-worth, to discover basic human values among the detritus of modern life. At the end you can't be sure he's made it. But his story matters and despite his lack of education he tells it with the pace and directness of a pro." - Gordon McLauchlan, writer and book critic.
rossinisbird
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by rossinisbird »

It's quiet in here. Nobody want to talk about this great new book? Wha about my idea for a book about a man who finds some dinosaur dna then brings dinosaurs alive then makes a theme park on a remote island and then the dinosaurs break loose because of some greedy fat guy and some kids are trapped but are saved by a heroic palyentoljist. I was thinking of calling "When Dinosaurs turn bad".
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
Victor Stenger
robpapE2
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by robpapE2 »

I asked at my local library and they said the only copy of the book is in the Local Collection which means it cannot be borrowed on loan..only read in the local collection doon stairs !!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)