Stanhope Road School 1963 to 1968

george bond
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Stanhope Road School 1963 to 1968

Post by george bond »

My name is George Bond and I was at Stanhope road School between 1963 and 1968.

Hi to all from the era 1963 to 1968! How is life treating you? Do you keep in touch with other pupils? I am interested in how everyone is. I moved to the South of England in 1976 and currently live in Hertfordshire between Luton and Stevenage.

Can we get together? Is anyone out there?

I visit my Mum, Dad and Sister three or four times a year and as I drive down Stanhope Road I always wonder what you are doing. Log on and leave a message and I promise to get back to you. I have just returned from holiday where I met a couple from South Shields and they told me about this site, its good to talk, bye for now.
Phill
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Stanhope Road school

Post by Phill »

Hi George
I was at Stanhope Road at that time, some of the lads you may remember are John Serteese David Petts And me Phil Adams.
I now Live in a small village just outside Luton, :email: :?: Chalton left the school and joined the army did 6 years in the Coldstream Guards and have worked for Vauxhall / Ibc For 29 years
regards
Phill
Jane
Big Gob
Big Gob
Location: Now residing back in my home town of South Shields after some 41 years.

Killer

Post by Jane »

Remember Killer? Implanted in my memory forever. Mr McDonald the English teacher, he was nice.
That blond biology teacher who used to go in her store cupboard with Mr. Smith. Those were the days, the cane for being late, the slipper wealded in the middle of the hall so eveyone got to see you getting thrashed (only the boys tho) still we all learned our times tables.
Jane
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi jane welcome to our site, yep i remember killer (crowell) he also had a gents clothing store in king street i think, good teacher though and would be nice to see the likes of him running our schools again and wacking the little brats who get out of hand
Sandy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Sandy »

George, did you go to the Marine & Tech after Stanhope and usually sat next to Lawrence Rutter? If so, I know you.
Sandy
mnewman
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Stanhope Road School

Post by mnewman »

Hi George,

Did you live in Perth Avenue and brother of Leslie?

I have fond memories of the old school and the Brockly Whinns Estate.

Keith and Brian Scott the twins. Keith used to scare me.
John Wright - he used to scare me
Brain Bolam (sadley he died very young in a swimming accident)
Barbara Zwart Zwarty)
Marilyn Mills (Millsy)
Jane Taylor
Elsie Brennan
I'm sure there are many more if I dig deep
Cheers
Jane
Big Gob
Big Gob
Location: Now residing back in my home town of South Shields after some 41 years.

stanhope road

Post by Jane »

Well, that was odd seeing my name on here, I have spent many a time trying to remember the names of people I went to school with and suddenly there are several. Marilyn Mills, parents had a pub didnt they? and she played Cinders in the school production.
Newman email me, your name rings a bell but I need a first name.
Jane Taylor.

It would be great to have a reunion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jane
RJParry
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by RJParry »

Hello all from Phoenix Arizona USA. My name is Bob Parry. I attended Stanhope Rd school from Aug 1965 til Nov 1966. My family came from the states to live in Shields where my Dad was raised. After my Mom wanted to return to the states, I lived in New York, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Iowa, Louisiana and Germany. Spent many years in the US Forces and lived in the Milton Keynes area 1982 - 1986. My last visit to Shields was Nov 2001 to deal with family matters upon my Dad's passing. Digging deep I remember two names Irene Newbrook and (cant remember the first name, Larry?) Blackstone. I would love to hear from anyone that remembers this "yank".....
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi bob welcome to our website
Jane
Big Gob
Big Gob

Teachers

Post by Jane »

Hi Bob,
what classes were you in? what teachers? I am 54 so dont know if you would have been in any of mine? Dont remember a Yank!!!! However the memory fades, its my age you see lol.
I am now in contact with Marilyn Mills aka MNewman via email and we are trying to fill in all the gaps of so many years and cant wait to meet up with her again once I am back in old blighty.
Jane
Jane
ajmiah
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Re: Stanhope Road School 1963 to 1968

Post by ajmiah »

george bond wrote:My name is George Bond and I was at Stanhope road School between 1963 and 1968.

Hi to all from the era 1963 to 1968! How is life treating you? Do you keep in touch with other pupils? I am interested in how everyone is. I moved to the South of England in 1976 and currently live in Hertfordshire between Luton and Stevenage.

Can we get together? Is anyone out there?

I visit my Mum, Dad and Sister three or four times a year and as I drive down Stanhope Road I always wonder what you are doing. Log on and leave a message and I promise to get back to you. I have just returned from holiday where I met a couple from South Shields and they told me about this site, its good to talk, bye for now.

Hi George, I can't remember you at school and perhaps you can't remember me, but you may recall Kenny Miah (my bro) and Rayan Buller. Bomber McKeith, The Nesbitts, the Diamonds and so on. I actually left school in 1968, so perhaps you left the year before me. I remember Jane Taylor, not because she was in my class, but because she was so fit. (Jane if your reading this I think the blonde teacher was Miss Mason) Perhaps I can let my brother Kenny know your trying to get in touch with pupils who left at that time of year and maybe he can get in touch with you (providing you remember him) as he still lives in Jarrow.
I also live in Hertfordshire, Watford.
My names Alan by the way.
Please get in touch.

Alan
Jane
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Jane »

Hi Alan,
I am still smiling after reading your comments, thank you. Time has taken its toll though Im 55 next month, where have all the years gone? Yes, I do remember your brother and would love to hear from him. When I eventually get back to the UK I intend visiting my old home town, I have been doing my family tree and have made contact with a cousin I didnt know I had so am looking forward to meeting him.
I left Shields when I was 18 and moved to London, my Mum emigrated to Australia two years later. I moved from London to Kent and four years ago to Spain but miss my daughters ( who really are fit) so am returning as soon as the villa here is sold. Funny as you get older so you think more of the past, my daughters laugh when I tell them of the things we used to get up to and are horrified at the idea of us getting the cane for being late. It was a different world then.
take care
Jane
Jane
ajmiah
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

hi

Post by ajmiah »

[quote="Jane"]Hi Alan,
I am still smiling after reading your comments, thank you. Time has taken its toll though Im 55 next month, where have all the years gone? Yes, I do remember your brother and would love to hear from him. When I eventually get back to the UK I intend visiting my old home town, I have been doing my family tree and have made contact with a cousin I didnt know I had so am looking forward to meeting him.
I left Shields when I was 18 and moved to London, my Mum emigrated to Australia two years later. I moved from London to Kent and four years ago to Spain but miss my daughters ( who really are fit) so am returning as soon as the villa here is sold. Funny as you get older so you think more of the past, my daughters laugh when I tell them of the things we used to get up to and are horrified at the idea of us getting the cane for being late. It was a different world then.
take
Jane[/quote

Hi Jane, thanks for your message. Where about in Spain do you live ? My brother in law and inlaws have places in Andosol just outside Marbella, where my family and I visited last year. I have dropped a line to my brother Kenny letting him know you have been in touch. I went up home last November and most of the school has been pulled down, apart from that the place looks the same.
I'm thinking about moving back up home eventually as my kids are still at school. Richard is 13 and Lucy 10. My wife Alison is not to happy about it as she thinks I'll leave her tied to the sink and I'll be off drinking with family and friends (as if) I waited a while before I got married, needed to have some fun first.
Did you have any brothers or sisters at the school or are you a one off?
I am one of 9 kids, who all went to Stanhope Road, before the fire. Most of them still living up home.
Going back to the old school days. Can you remember Mr Snaith, he was my last teacher, and Mr Cousins he was the Head. Killer Crowell once gave me annd Kirby Stevens six of the best on stage in front of the whole school because we damaged one of the teaches cars (accidently of course) As I said earlier I was in a class or two below you (as I'm only 52)
but I can remember quite a few people from Kenny's class and age group.
Can you remember the Slessers and the Goodmans, the Crabtrees and the Brennans. Anyway I have to go and do some work now, I'll talk to Kenny later and perhaps he can get in touch with you.

Bye for now
Alan

Ps, I'm sure age hasn't taken it's toll on you
Delilahcat
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Delilahcat »

I didn't go to Stanhope and I'm the wrong age group but my brother- known as Rossi - did and he's the right age. A guy I worked with went on to be a teacher there - Ronnie Thornton. I think he was quite well liked, for a teacher that is. He's now retired and quite a well known artist painting river and seascapes.
Jane
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by Jane »

Had real problems logging on today the internet can be a tad prehistoric here lol. I live in Javea on the Costa Blanca bang inbetween Alicante and Valencia your relatives are much further south than me, mydaughter has been down there and says its lovely. Like you I didnt have children till later my eldest girl is only 19 and the youngest 17 in March we were so busy working (we had a business) but I dont regret having them later as I have done most things I ever wanted to do.
I am the eldest of four, after I left school Mum got a house on the sutton trust estate (first ever bathroom and indoor toilet) so my younger siblings went to schools in that area and of course it wasnt long before they went off to Australia. I went there last August as my Mum remarried (again) to an American and he was in Oz so got to meet him she now lives in Wisconsin ( all this at 77).
I can understand your wanting to return to the North East especially as all your family are there, its good for your children to be with family too, the southerners just arent that friendly. One of the things I love about trips to Geordie land is knowing I can just chat to anyone and they wont think Im odd. Elsie Brennan was in my class, Jean Hart,Ann Dahl,Derek Nutter and the other names are there just cant retrieve them lol.
I remember being sent to wait outside Mr Cousins office (probably been lippy) but when he eventually arrived asked me what I was doing there and sent me back to class, no punishment. Did Kenny go to Miss Bluetts wedding? she then became Mrs Anderson. I lived in South Frederick Street then.
Best away, boring things to do like cleaning, take care
Jane
ajmiah
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

hi

Post by ajmiah »

Hi Jane, thanks for your message, it sounds like your old lady gets around a bit (I mean that in the nicest way of course) Mind you your not doing so bad either. I have been down south for almost 30years and I still can't get on with these people. I think I can recall Derek Nutter but I can't remember any of the others. I'm not sure if Kenny went to Miss Bluetts wedding, but when he decides to get in touch I can ask him.
It must be really nice living a life of luxury in Spain. I bet your all tanned up and relaxed, but you must also be upset that you're not over here with your (really fit) daughters. Make sure you bring your passport with you when you come back, or they will think your looking for some sort of assylum. When we were over in Spain I used to sit outside in the evening with my father in law and a bottle of Brandy and we used to watch the sun go down, have a few olives and go to bed when the bottle was empty. What a life.
It was quite strange when I went up home last time. I took my son down town and had a look around Shields market and showed him all the old places I used to drink in (he must have thought I was an alcoholic) anyway when I was looking around I couldn't reconise anyone. It wasn't till I got home that maybe I should have been looking at the grandparents in stead of the mothers/fathers. The beaches look really nice now, it looks like they have spent a lot of time and money doing them up. If it wasn't so cold you would think you were on the Costa Del So. lol
Well I best sign off now as I'm getting very jealous. So from the Costa Del Watford Bye for now.
Alan

ps your not going to beleive this, but there is a WHALE swimming up the river THAMES as I write this message.
thesealark
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by thesealark »

Hi Alan

I was at Stanope Road a couple of years after you but I was there with a Sandra Miah - would she be related to you?
I was known as Susan Gutteridge way back then.
Imago
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Imago »

Hi Y'orl

I'm justing testing this to make sure I get listed on the message board. If it works then I'll post a mighty big ginormous response. I was at Stanhope from 1964-69.
Oh yes I was!

John Finnigan.
Imago
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Imago »

Ah, it did work. How about that.....

I remember the day I started at Stanhope seniors, in the summer of '65. All the new boys clustered in a group in one corner of the school yard, like penguins, for protection. The rumour had gone out that the big boys in the school would dole out 'the dumps' to the greenhorns, slamming them into the concrete. It felt like a re-run of Tom Brown's Schooldays. Thankfully, the worst didn't happen. It was a liberating time in that we could all now wear jeans!

Perhaps my main memory from first year was Monday morning's swimming lesson at Derby Street Baths (or maybe that should be 'drowning lesson'). Spit-chewing, shop-owning Mister Swainston was our Baywatch superhero. When we assembled at the poolside, already frozen to the marrow, we divided into two groups, the swimmers and non-swimmers. The swimmers ran round to the deep end and splashed around like dolphins while the non-swimmers (like me) wandered around in the shallow end, having meaningful conversations. Swainston would disappear for a fag and a cuppa with the staff, for the entire session. As a result of the trauma received I didn't learn to swim until I was thirty!

I remember many of the teachers......Mr. Abernethy was the English teacher; the dreaded Mrs. Anderson was Mathematics (along with Killer Crowell); Mr. Bell (Ding Dong) was Geography; Mr. Dale was Science; Mrs. Mason was Biology; Mr. Barrass was Metalwork; Mr. Josephs (Giraffe) was Woodwork; Mr. McDonald was Tech Drawing; Nutty Miss Cresswell was Art and Mrs. Ellis divided her time between English and Geography. Killer Crowell was my form teacher in both fourth and fifth years; he had a fearsome reputation but he was also an excellent teacher; he certainly subscribed to the dictum 'Spare the rod and spoil the child'. Head teacher was Bill Cousins.

I was going to list several of my classmates but time does not permit. I'll keep that one locked in my locker for next time round.

All the Best

John Finnigan.

Putney, London.
Imago
Geet Quiet
Geet Quiet

Post by Imago »

Hi one 'n' orl....

It's me again. I sure hope I'm not hogging the limelight here. I'm going to complete my main posting by giving an account of the pupils that endured five years of trench-warfare at Stanhope Seniors all those years ago.

Somebody referred to a pupil called 'Diamond'. Yep, I remember him. He was one of the tough hombres. I believe 'Diama' was a couple of years in front of me. I seem to remember that he used to volunteer to allow the teachers to test their brand new canes out on him. Some folks are gluttons for punishment! Yes, I remember the Crabtrees. Also Kirby Stevens, who was a year behind me and whom I seem to recall was one of the fastest sprinters in the North East at the time; he was forever being presented with cups during assembly by Head Cousins. He was once dealt six-of-the-best by Killer Crowell for chucking snowballs off the roof. I can still remember the state he was in afterwards - not a pleasant sight. Jimmy Wizz's comments on Dean Road bring back another memory. When I was in fifth year a lad by the name of Billy Cooper recruited a posse to go down to Dean Road to take on their finest. It included yours truly. We stood, bold-as-brass, in the middle of their school yard, but the enemy failed to put in an appearance! Stanhope was perceived to be a hard school. On the other hand, I never saw evidence of any systematic bullying, the type that is rife nowadays in London's schools. Nor can I remember any pupil bunking off.

OK....Here's a list of my fellow schoolmates......There was Keith Whitelaw (who ended up as a merchant seaman); Alan Nesbitt (hardest man in the school, who quit after fourth year, got married and went down Westoe pit); Kenneth Flood; Johnny Nipper; Ramon Nasser; Leonard Young; Alan Watson; Jimmy Burgess; David Carey (who emigrated to Canada as a cook); Michael Smithson; Eddie Barton; David Reed; Peter Knox; Richard Ford; John Carr; David Purvis; Michael Cunningham, Derek Branch; the aforementioned Billy Cooper; Brian Mason and Willie Waller......While on the girls side there were the Byrne (identical) twins - Susan and Diane; Susan Riley; Heather Lorimer; Gwyneth Griffiths (dangerous to pronounce if you're packing dentures); Shiela Gaff; Joan Scott; Barbara Scott; Audrey Mason (sister to Brian); Leslie Foster and a red-headed-lass called Underwood whose first name I can't remember.

Should any of you read this posting then I would be more than happy to hear from you (or indeed, friends/colleagues who have any gen to offer on the listed names).

I must now stand aside and let somebody else have a go.

Sayonara.

John Finnigan.