new lad on the scene

windmillbill
Big Gob
Big Gob

new lad on the scene

Post by windmillbill »

I went to redwell and left christmas 1959, and I now live on the site of the school. I remember a lot of the people mentioned in topics,some older (Jacky Smith) and some younger (Joyce Easter). Lads in my time included Barry Newton,Peter Ridley,Keith Thompson,Alan Hogson,Squad Liddle,Infa Elliot,Frank Urwin,Vick Toulson,to name but a few,girls Irene Wright,Pat Burdis,Lillian Whiteman,Nora Jeffries,Maureen Black,Sylvia Hutchinson,teachers I remember Mr.Wade headmaster,Scratcher,Flick Witticker,Parker,Hamilton,Bailey , Anderson,Porteous, any body out there in my time still alive. Windmill Bill from Horsley Hill.
baldy.smith

Re: new lad on the scene

Post by baldy.smith »

Welcome to the boards Windmillbill.

Jacky Smith is my younger brother, he did not attend Redwell School, he was
a pupil at Mortimer Road school; as was I.
Frank Urwin lived next door to us.
My sister; Sylvia Smith would have left Redwell at around 1957.

8)
margy
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by margy »

I used to play darts with Joyce Easter ...still see her sometimes.
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

margy wrote:I used to play darts with Joyce Easter ...still see her sometimes.
Was she difficult to throw. :D

8)
Angie

Post by Angie »

:roll:
windmillbill
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by windmillbill »

I know Jacky Smith didn't go to redwell, I said I knew him, I was at sea with him on a Hudsons ship, and I know Frank Urwin very well, he lives in Hertford Ave,and so does Alan Hodga who married Pat Burdis, I was talking to Joyce Easter a couple of months ago, does Jacky still walk everywhere, he is a fit lad.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Jacky is out walking every day, gets out quite early in the morning,
walks all over the place.

I'll probably be down Shields myself next week, just for the day.
I'll probably be taking a few photos out and about, we shouldn't
be hard to spot when out walking, neither of us has a hair on our
heads, and we're both short arses. :D

8)
jimmywizz
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by jimmywizz »

hi bill welcome to our website, check out the other board on here called curlys corner shop
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Hi Bill, can remember a few of them names. Was it Alan Hodgson who crashed a car in Whitburn in mid 60s killing his mate.
windmillbill
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by windmillbill »

Pete, dont remember that, Alan Hodgson in my class went on to serve his time at the pit, as an electrician,he married a girl from our class called Pat Burdis and they live at marsden, I might have been away when that incident happened. Alan lived in Westmorland Road with his parents and sister, also Pat.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

windmillbill wrote:Pete, dont remember that, Alan Hodgson in my class went on to serve his time at the pit, as an electrician,he married a girl from our class called Pat Burdis and they live at marsden, I might have been away when that incident happened. Alan lived in Westmorland Road with his parents and sister, also Pat.
Thats the same lad, him and his mate whose father Jack Thompson was a fitter at Whitburn pit picked up two girls at the Latino and Alan turned the car over next to the farm near the rifle range on the Coast Road at Whitburn. Alan went to court over it, cannot remember what sentenance he got, but can remember he wanted to emigrate to Canada and make a fresh start but they would not accept him because of his conviction.
windmillbill
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by windmillbill »

pete, well well, I didn't know that, just shows you live and learn eh, thanks for the info, were you at redwell about the same time or did you know Hodga from the pit.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

windmillbill wrote:pete, well well, I didn't know that, just shows you live and learn eh, thanks for the info, were you at redwell about the same time or did you know Hodga from the pit.
Hodga was a year older than me,used to know him from Redwell, I think he served his time at Harton Pit. i lived at Marsden from 49 till I got married and moved to Jarrow in 73. I left Redwell in July 61 and served my time as a fitter at Whitburn Pit, transfered to Westoe in 68 when Whitburn closed, left the industry in 70 to work for a firm in Portsmouth travelling all over the country working in Oil depots.
Used to knock about with Jimmy Clements, Bob Robertson, Slim Knox, Johny Bays, Big Bill Cauwood, Frank Irwin. Frank lived three doors away from me and Jacky Smith two doors away.
windmillbill
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by windmillbill »

Know all them lads as well, Jimmy Clements , he's still got his old motorbike,John (basher)Bays, sailed with Jacky Smith,went to school with Frank Urwin,and Jimmy (slim) Knox from the hill,he used to go to the riding stables and the horses would run away when they seen him coming,sadly he died some years ago,can you remember some of his old mates of the time like Kit Wilka,Tony (cans)Manning and such.
siam sam
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by siam sam »

I knew jimmy knox and his brother freddie who now lives in aussie I lived just round the corner from the knox family on cheviot road opposite the pub. Knew the wilkas choc blaw @ pony cappy was the father, you went in that pub and were told your having a number on the blind card arent you happy days
zip me up in my oilskins and jumper.
no more down the docks i'll be seen.
just tell me old shipmates.
i'm taking a trip mates.
and i'll see them on fiddler' green.
GeordieCanuck
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by GeordieCanuck »

windmillbill wrote:I went to redwell and left christmas 1959, and I now live on the site of the school. I remember a lot of the people mentioned in topics,some older (Jacky Smith) and some younger (Joyce Easter). Lads in my time included Barry Newton,Peter Ridley,Keith Thompson,Alan Hogson,Squad Liddle,Infa Elliot,Frank Urwin,Vick Toulson,to name but a few,girls Irene Wright,Pat Burdis,Lillian Whiteman,Nora Jeffries,Maureen Black,Sylvia Hutchinson,teachers I remember Mr.Wade headmaster,Scratcher,Flick Witticker,Parker,Hamilton,Bailey , Anderson,Porteous, any body out there in my time still alive. Windmill Bill from Horsley Hill.
Hi, you mention a Vick Toulson, did he have a sister called Vera? very blond and pretty, and I remember ginger Roberts liked her ;) I was in her class and I know she had a brother..
windmillbill
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by windmillbill »

Thats right Geordie, Vic had a sister called Vera and a brother called Dennis, lived in Bamburgh Ave. then later at the bottom of Marsden Lane, I think Vic now lives in Immingham or near that.
GeordieCanuck
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by GeordieCanuck »

windmillbill wrote:Thats right Geordie, Vic had a sister called Vera and a brother called Dennis, lived in Bamburgh Ave. then later at the bottom of Marsden Lane, I think Vic now lives in Immingham or near that.
Hi Windmill Bill :) I would love to know if Vera is still around, and would love to get in touch with her.
If you are able to get in touch with Vic could you please ask him if Vera would like to hear from one of her school mates?

Would be lovely to hear from her or anyone who knew me Hilary Gallant..
Thankyou Bill,
Hilary
GeordieCanuck
Big Gob
Big Gob

Post by GeordieCanuck »

Its a shame when you dont get a follow up, telling you one way or another? C`est La Vie !
heaintheavy
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Post by heaintheavy »

Mr Porteous has just celebrated his 90th birthday. He plays the piano at St Michael's Church. Another Redwell teacher who attends St Michael's is Mr Hulme the history teacher.