Maine Road away, 1973.

neil maxwell
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Maine Road away, 1973.

Post by neil maxwell »

Is there any one out there who can remember our school trip to see Sunderland play Man City in the 5th round of the FA Cup in 1973?

It is one of my best memories of Redwell. No first years and no girls aloud! 2-2 the final score with Billy Hughes scoring (in my humble opinion) Sunderland's best ever goal.

The late Mr. Hodgeson organised it who died several years ago aged 53.

It certainly beat trips to the like's of York, Warkworth Castle and some ruined abbey near a river someplace!

Imagine in these H & S days a school trip to such a place as Manchester Moss side! What are your memories.
sless
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by sless »

ive got a ticket for that match here
it was my dads
neil maxwell
Even Bigger Gob
Even Bigger Gob

Maine Road away, 1973.

Post by neil maxwell »

Yeah we had to have seat tickets so we went to the ticket office at Roker Park the the sunday before. There were absolutely thousands queing and all of us from Redwell (about 50) got seat tickets. It was a stipulation from the headmaster that we had to have seat tickets.

We eventually got to Manchester the whole place was a sea of red and white (but not before avoiding Arsenal fans vandalising fruit machines at a service station on the M6 on their way to Carlisle).

The rest is history apart from the two 5th formers who decided to see Manchester for a couple hours or so after the game which resulted in our coach not getting back to Marsden until 3am!

As a result I slept in and missed getting a ticket for the replay.
captain beefheart
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Re: Maine Road away, 1973.

Post by captain beefheart »

I think i got to the replay, if man city has mike summerbee as striker then it must be, i was in the fulwell end near the pitch, he let a rocket shot go, just missed the net but smacked me right in the kisser and knocked me out, hated man city since then