Does anybody ever post on this message board

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Anyone remember Miss McGurk the PE teacher?

She has her eightieth birthday coming up in the next week.

8)
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Miss Mcgurk.

Post by gag »

Yes mate, I can remember Miss Mcgurk. My mother used to go to school with her apparently. I remember that she was well into netball and had something to do with the game at both national and county level. Other teachers I remember are;

Mr. Hamilton.
Ginger Roberts.
Mr. Bailey (x2).
Bill Parker.
Mr. Wardle.
Mrs. Williams.
Derek Sharpe.
Polly Stewart.
Mrs. Rothney.
Mrs. Anderson.
Mr. Porteous.
Mr. Reed.
Mr. Whitaker.
Stan Bowie.
Mr. Bruce.

Not a bad memory for a 56 year old eh !

Cheers.
gag.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Miss McGurk ran the netball team called "Speedwell" which was the Redwell school team, and she also ran the "Durham County" team, my sister played in both teams.
That was all before your time gag, my baby sister is nine years older than you.
She is coming up from down south this weekend as she was invited to Miss McGurks birthday party.

8)
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Nice one Baldy.

Post by gag »

It was nice to hear that she is still going strong Baldy.

cheers.
gag
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

My sister popped in for a cuppa on her way to Shields this morning, she travelled up from down south.
She told me that Miss McGurk got an O.B.E for her services to sport, netball in particular.
Seems that quite a lot of the old girls from Redwell are going to be at the party tomorrow night.

8)
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I remember Mrs Mcgurk very well Baldy.
She always walked round in her netball gear on with a very short skirt and trainers, she had big muscular legs, I don't think I ever saw her in normal clothes.
You're sister must have played netball in a big way to be invited to her birthday party.

Cisco
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

As I said in my earlier post Cisco, my sister played for "Speedwell" (Redwell) and "Durham County". As she said this morning being short in those days was not a problem, but now they are all giants who play the game.

8)
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

Do you know where the party was being held ?

My sister is in her 60's and can remember Miss McGurk ( unforgetable ), she be pleased to hear she's still about.

I automatically assume that because I'm in my 50's that all my teachers are long gone.......they only had to be 8 - 10 yrs older than me and will still be fighting fit I guess....strange eh ?.

It would be great if some where computer genned up to come on here. :)

Someone said that Pancho Freeman was a headmaster somewhere, is that right ?
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

anna wrote:Cisco.. you might no my older brother by Goerge Dorward,,coz Ford was our adopted name..but my older brother ,,went back to using our Birth Name.. Dorward.. and no,, dont no anybody called Jimmy Ford,,plus im crap with names ,,i remeber faces,,not names.. Lov the hat!! please tell me thats not you .. :lol:
Now I knew someone at Horsley Hill that was called Dorward and left. That met him again at Redwell called Ford. I wonder if that was George ?

I can remember someone called Roland Dorward.... I think ?????

Did you live right at top end of St Cuthberts Ave couple of houses off Coquet Ave.
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I know where the party is being held Axeman, but I feel it would not be proper for me to say on here where it is being held. Sorry

Miss McGurk lives not far from the Fountain Inn (that's not where the party is).

8)
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

I hope the party is a great success Baldy. Its nice to learn that some of the teachers we had are still around. At least we had respect for them in those days. Some of the names I mentioned in an earlier post were not as bad as they used to be made out to be. I remember one school camp in the Lake District when we were all in little wooden huts. The teachers went on the drink on one particular Saturday night and they included Peter Hamilton, Ginger Roberts etc,. A few of us got into their hut and trashed the place ready for their return.We heard them coming back to their hut and then all hell broke loose ! they turfed us out of our billet and trashed it ! They just laughed at us the next day and nothing came of it. I enjoyed those days and learned to respect people through both My Parents and Teachers.

cheers.
gag
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

baldy.smith wrote:As I said in my earlier post Cisco, my sister played for "Speedwell" (Redwell) and "Durham County". As she said this morning being short in those days was not a problem, but now they are all giants who play the game.

8)
Sorry about that Baldy I had forgotton what I'd read.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Cisco, I went for lunch at the Marsden Inn yesterday, ran into Stan Tyler, he's never changed, I recognised him in an instant.

8)
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I'm regularly in the Marsden Inn for lunch Baldy.
Stan Tyler lives in a bungalow on Lizzard Lane, you are right he never changes.
Where you over visiting your Jacky?
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Yes Cisco, because my sister was up from down south with her husband we all went out for lunch together, there were seven of us altogether. Another couple of weeks all of the family will be getting together, I think there will be between forty or fifty of us. :wink:
Free drinks for the senior member of the clan (namely me) :lol:

8)
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

axeman... yes your right..we lived num 5 st cuthberts , then we moved to marsden,,11 grotto gds .. loved it there .. my brothers went to redwell, i went to st cuthberts,[catholic school] :? dont ask !!. its called st wilfreds now..
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

baldy.smith wrote:Yes Cisco, because my sister was up from down south with her husband we all went out for lunch together, there were seven of us altogether. Another couple of weeks all of the family will be getting together, I think there will be between forty or fifty of us. :wink:
Free drinks for the senior member of the clan (namely me) :lol:

8)
That's some family get together Baldy, is it a special occasion?
Don't know if you have anywhere booked for it it's just that the Marsden Inn hire their upstairs room out, you will need a big room for that many.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

It's my sister and the wife of Jacky having a joint 65th birthday party.
We are booked up for the "Little Haven Hotel"
My sister Sylvia is the baby of the family, then there is Jacky and I am the oldest.
It is likely there will be more there than I estimated as there is a large contingent coming up from the south, most of who will be staying at the hotel.

Sylvia went to Redwell but Jacky and I went to Mortimer Road.

8)
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

The Little Haven is a nice place Baldy, from what you say that should be a good night and if you are like me probably meeting up with relatives you've not seen for years.

Your sister is the baby of the family at 65 how old does that make Jacky then? I never thought he was as old as that, I remember you saying he had retired but I thought he must have took early retirement.
It's many a year since I've seen him, which would have been in the Marsden Inn, it has to be said he was a very much respected lad round Marsden nobody had a bad word to say about him, and we always had a laugh in his company.
There's some great tales out there Baldy.

Hope you all have great night.
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

baldy.smith wrote:My sister popped in for a cuppa on her way to Shields this morning, she travelled up from down south.
She told me that Miss McGurk got an O.B.E for her services to sport, netball in particular.
Seems that quite a lot of the old girls from Redwell are going to be at the party tomorrow night.

8)
Miss McGurk??

could this be the same lady who was Deputy Head at West Park school in the 70's??? she never taught sports then but worked alongside Mr Gould who was our Headmaster, I remember she was a quite heavy set woman and very strict.
If she has received an OBE that is just fantastic.
The name Speedwell brings back good memories, we always used to thrash them at netball and rounders..I made an excellent captain :lol: :lol:

ahem :wink: