Does anybody ever post on this message board

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Cisco, Jacky will be 67 this year!

Babs I don't know if it is the same Miss McGurk (first name Lilly, I think)
As the Miss McGurk I'm talking about went on to coach the England National net ball team. She did a lot for net ball and was awarded the O.B.E for her services. I also heard that she was at the Girls Grammer School before going on the Redwell.

8)
Babooshka

Post by Babooshka »

Hmm I wonder if they were related in some way, seems an incredible coincidence. The Miss McGurk at my school didn't look too sporty, she was shortish, very well built and had an odd walking gait, so I don't imagine she would be very nimble on a sports pitch
Jake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jake »

Cisco, Baldy, The Stan Tyler you are on about, is it the son or father,?
if it is the Father,, do any of you know Tommy Mouat, used to work the overhead crane at Taylors foundry?
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

It's the son Jake, Stan senior died a lot of years ago and young Stan has never married, which probably explains why he is so happy go lucky.
:wink:

The name Tommy Mouat doesn't ring any bells with me.

8)
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Redwell Netball Team 1956

Some of the names of those on the photo are:-

Miss McGurk, Doreen Bryant, Valerie Heron, Joan Lyons, Maureen Maughan, Sylvia Collins, Ethel Ramsay, Sylvia Smith.

Due to the photograph having been badly torn with pieces missing, one name is missing. This photo is the restored version, the original being in terrible condition.

8)
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

baldy.smith wrote:It's the son Jake, Stan senior died a lot of years ago and young Stan has never married, which probably explains why he is so happy go lucky.
:wink:

The name Tommy Mouat doesn't ring any bells with me.

8)
As baldy said Jake, it's the son, but he must be pushing 70 now, I went to school with his brother Derek who drove the buses for years, and might still do.
I did'nt know Tommy Mouat, but I did know a Jimmy Mouat, don't know if he's any relation.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Stan is just coming up to 69 Cisco, he told me when we were chatting. He is a bit younger than me. :wink:

8)
Axeman
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Axeman »

anna wrote:axeman... yes your right..we lived num 5 st cuthberts , then we moved to marsden,,11 grotto gds .. loved it there .. my brothers went to redwell, i went to st cuthberts,[catholic school] :? dont ask !!. its called st wilfreds now..
Thats great hows George doing ?

Remember hanging about with your bruv one day at St Cuthberts........had to run home to watch Star Trek.

Funny how things stick in your mind.
WWW.NEWHARTLEYSERVICES.CO.UK. SAVE SAVE SAVE. Swap to a cheaper, better service.
Play in an on-line lottery syndicate...WWW.BETLOTT.COM
anna
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by anna »

Axeman... He is doing ok,,he lives at Whitburn, He is a Painter and Decorator. self employed,runs his own little firm, also does a lot of sign writing,for Shop fronts and stuff. But he is doing ok. Married for 30 years.2 daughters.1 Grandson. I will have to tell him who ive been chatting to ,next time i go to see him.... :D
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

He's 69 Baldy how time fly's, he's a nice lad Stan, very polite and pleasant.

That's a great photo Baldy, Mrs Mcgurk looked quite young.
Is that your sister middle row on the left, that was my first choice, or the one in the front on the right.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Sylvia is on the bottom left!

You should have seen the state of the original photo, you'd think it had been through a shredder. Took ages to sort out.

8)
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I have a few really old photos Like that Baldy, I've done a couple of them, but you have to have a lot of time and patience.
I have a brother who is an absolute expert at it, he's done all the old family photos and made them new again, hundreds of them.
I wish I had the patience.
Jake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jake »

Cisco, you must have been drinking in the Lake/Marsden Inn around about the time I was, so I am trying to put a name to you,
does Colin ring any bells, if I am right you must have knocked around with Adie Kerkhoff,
Can you remember Tommy Howe and the Newcombes in the Lake singing
and were you in when Tommy Waring hit the piano player over the head with a stool,
Great times.
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Can remember Ann Newcombe singing my way and getting lippy with me for talking while she was trying to sing.Did Tommy Waring live above Fosters shop.
Jake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jake »

Yes, Jarrow pete, Tommy did live above the shop, do you remember him.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

You are right Jake I did knock around with Adie Kerkhoff, we used to get in the Lake quite a bit in them days, we were mates from about 16 years old.
I knew Tommy Howe but did'nt like him, had a few run ins with him in the sixties, still see him now and again.

The only Colin I remember in the Lake was Colin Fenwick, had an older brother called Jimmy.

I don't remember Tommy Waring, but I know the shop fosters if it's the same one, general dealers in Lake Ave, the son went to Redwell, Pete will probably know him, blonde lad .
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Jake wrote:Yes, Jarrow pete, Tommy did live above the shop, do you remember him.
Yes remember him well Jake, used to take bottles from the Lake at closing time and have drinking sessions on Marsden beach and go swimming after midnight in the summer months.

Cisco Fosters had 2 sons and 2 daughters. The oldest son David had a bakers shop in Roseberry Avenue, he still plays golf at Whitburn. Brian was my age, he served his time with me at Whitburn Pit and then took over the shop when his father died, he had to give that up when he started to take fits due to a head injuryhe suffered when he fell off the cliffs in the Quarry when we were kids, at the time he was unconsous for a couple of weeks. Saw him last year at a Redwell reunion that his sister Lynn had organised at the Chameleon, she will be about your age Cisco, she married a lad called Swann bit he was killed many years ago at Middle docks with an accident with a crane.Their was also a much younger daughter Janice, can remember when me and Brian were throwing darts at a tree outside their house in Grotto Road (next door to Davey Marshs house) anyway the dart bounced off and stuck in her ear,there was blood every where and I could not catch her to get my dart back when she ran up to her Mam at the shop in Lake Avenue.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

I use to know Davey Marsh very well Pete, It must be 30 years since I've seen him, any idea what he's doing now.

As for Fosters Pete, I could be wrong but I thought the name was Forsters.

One more thing Pete? how do you know his sister Lynn was my age?
Jake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jake »

[quote="Jarrow Pete"]
Yes remember him well Jake, used to take bottles from the Lake at closing time and have drinking sessions on Marsden beach and go swimming after midnight in the summer months.

Jarrow Pete,
I must know you, because I used to go to the beach for the midnight swims as well, We once built a bonfire on the beach, using the chairs from the Grotto.
Tommy spent the last few years living in a nursing home in hebburn, he was still quite fit and was drinking in the clock which is next door to the home, he passed away a couple of years ago.

Cisco, I thought you might have been Colin Fenwick, thats why I mentioned the name.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Cisco, I thought you might have been Colin Fenwick, thats why I mentioned the name.

Jake, That's odd me remembering Colin Fenwick and you thinking it was me.
Knew Colin quite well, he used to get in the Lake's backroom with a girl.
He a nice lad.