Hello To All !!!!!!!!!!!

baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

I only remember the daughter, because she was a real good looker but I can't remember her first name. I'll ask our Jacky; I'm pretty sure he will remember.
You must have known my father, in the Lake nearly every night, playing domino's with the other old geezers, every one called him Davy or Dave. I'll see if I can dig up a photo of him.

The Derek Elliot I'm talking about is in the photo below, he is the one on the far left. All of them in the photo are from around Marsden.

8)
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Baldy, yes thats the Derek Eliott that married Andrea Tate. You should also be able to remember the Sloanes, Ralph who is my age runs Delta Electronics and repairs washing machines see him quite regular. He had 2 older brothers George and Stephen, I think their sister was called Catherine. Their father has been dead a good few years, he moved into Farding Lake Court when it was built.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

The dad looked a good age when I got in the Lake Pete
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

You will have to ask Jacky where that photo was taken Baldy, you thought it was the Lake I could be wrong but I don't think it is.
baldy.smith

Post by baldy.smith »

Cisco wrote:You will have to ask Jacky where that photo was taken Baldy, you thought it was the Lake I could be wrong but I don't think it is.
I never indicated that it was the Lake Cisco, I have no idea where it was taken. I asked Jacky a long time ago where it was but he can't remember (probably too drunk :lol: )

8)
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Sorry about that Baldy, I thought you had mentioned you thought it was Lake.
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Just caught up with some of the newer posts on the Redwell board. Hello again Pete, Often wondered what happened to Susan Knox, hope she is doing well in Australia. sorry to hear that her and her husband may have split up. The teacher you refer to was Stan Bowie and he did in fact marry one of the Tate girls but im not too sure which one. I used to work with Andy Tate when I first went down Westoe Pit and he was a right character.Great to hear that Joyce Easter is around and still living on Prince Edward road, give her my regards if you should see her again.Cisco mentioned Norman Mohamed and I went to school with him. I remember riding my push bike through old quarry lane where the old farm used to be and falling off the bike when I was hit on the side of the head by what felt like a brick !, It turned out to be Norman who was hiding in the bushes with his air pistol and he scored a direct hit !. Thanks for the kind welcome Anna and Im enjoying the site when I get the chance to get on the web. The last I heard of the Sexton lads was that Paul was doing well with his hairdressing business and Terry was selling hypnotherapy tapes for a living.I knew Infa Elliot that Cisco mentioned from the Cleadon Club and he was a right character to say the least !. I think he was married to a girl called Dot and they lost a son through illness when the lad was very young.

see ya.

gag
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Hello Pete.
I knew the Potts family you mentioned in an earlier post. Walter Potts, did in fact, emigrate to Australia with his family and I understand that one of his sons was killed out there. I dont know about the other son though. I think Sandra Potts was Walters Sister and she lived in the same house for many years. The Brian Potts that I was on about lived somewhere around the Lincoln Road area and was at Redwell when I was there. He had an older brother called Sid, (I think his name was Sid), who also went to Redwell. He was the first lad that I ever saw wearing a Beatle jacket ! and it looked really good at the time. The Father was also called Sid and I think he was on the committee at the Cleadon Club in later years. Some other names from that part of Lake Avenue are Martin, Walker, Harrison, Gray, Burgess, Bashford, Tuck, Elliott, Hills, Clemence, Moore and Lee.

cheers.
gag
Jarrow Pete
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jarrow Pete »

Gag, a few names there to remember.
Walker, knew the old man Jack well, went to school with Kevin but he died a few years ago, he had a bad arm from contacting polio when he was a baby.
Clements, knew them all and mainly knocked about with Jimmy, Ronnie who was the nicest of the seven brothers tragicaly went over the cliffs at Marsden and died.Baldy was telling me he saw Alfie last week, he is still working on the rigs off Shetland.
Moore, Carol was a barmaid in the Lake at one time, Derek her brother went to sea.
Tucks, can only remember Malcolm and he was a complite arse hole.
Burges. remember Stan and Alfie. Old man Burges worked at Witburn pit. Can remember one day I was working on North yard 33 coal face tailgate and the call went out for me to go to the mothergate to repair a shearer problem.To walk round was about 4 miles so I started to crawl down the face, it was a yard seam so it meant crawling on your belly for 300 yards,but still better than walking 4 miles at tub height. Any way I only got 20 yards and met Budgie, he would not let me pass him, he said they had just cut through a fault and it was too dangerous, I was 22 at the time and at that age thought I knew everything and tried to squeeze past him, he clung onto me and pleaded with me not to go through the fault as it was liable to fall at any time,he even threatned to call in Fosters shop to tell my mother how stupid I was.I eventually turned back and started to walk round, halfway along the gate I met the safety officer and undermanager rushing in bye. There had been a twenty yard fall and if Budgie had not stopped me I would have been under it.Till the day he died he never let me forget that day,I lost count of how many pints I bought him in the Lake over the years to thank him for saving my life.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Knew all those names, I use to drink with Alfie Burgess, Kevin Walker I knew very well.
You are right about Malcolm Tuck Pete he was an arrogant pig, I remember the time he picked on Jacky at the Grotto, he bit off more than he could chew that night.
Sid Potts was another jerk who was all mouth.
Geordie Bashford I think joined the army from school, I use to know his sister Lilian, a nice girl.
Alfie Burgess the dad use to mark up for the dart matches in the Lake, use to get a pint for doing it.
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Pete/Cisco - I think its correct to say that Jack Walker was awarded the George medal for saving a miners life down the old Harton pit. I knew Kevin Walker quite well and had the odd pint with him in the Lake and the Marsden Inn.I went to Redwell the same time as Ronnie Clements and knew about his tragic death at Marsden cliffs. Ronnie was a canny lad and I also got along with the other brothers as well. Jimmy was as mad as a hatter, I think Alfie worked on the cruise ships as a steward and was married to Billy Mcburnies daughter, Kenny was a good footballer at school and played for the school teams, Melvin was a deputy at Westoe Colliery when I worked there.I remember coming home from the Lake one saturday night and there was a guy sitting on one of the garden walls beside our house. He had been beaten up and I took him in to clean him up a bit. He turned out to be a relative of the Clements family who had helped himself to some of their coal and they caught him in the act !. The last time I saw Carol Moore, she was working behind the bar at the Jack Clark park bowling club. I think that She also worked at Dickinsons at the bottom of Fowler Street. Malcolm Tuck was an electrical engineer at Westoe and then went on to own the Riding stables in Lizard Lane with his wife.

cheers.
gag
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Gag, I did'nt think Malcolm Tuck had the riding stables, I thought it might have been a relative of his, I was told a few years ago that he had a fruit shop near the Fountain Inn.

I don't know about Alfie Clements being a steward on the cruise ships, I know in the sixties he always worked abroad spray painting and tank cleaning.
He married Rita Mcburnie, I heard they had moved to Peterlee.

I knew Kevin Walker very well and his mam and dad, I always thought he was an only child but a couple of years ago somebody told me he had an older brother, I never heard him mention he had a brother.
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Hello Cisco mate. you are quite right mate, My mistake, it was JOHN Tuck that has/had the riding stables and not Malcolm Tuck. I think Kevin Walker did in fact have an older brother but I cannot remember his name. I think it was old Andy Tate that told me that Alfie Clements had worked on one of the big cruise liners as a steward.

cheers.
gag
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Just came to me Cisco mate ! I think Kevin Walkers brother was called Malcolm and he was in the RAF.

cheers.
gag.
Jake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jake »

I remember the Hills, lived next door to the Clemences,
The father Steve Hills chucked himself off Marsden Cliffs as he thought he had a serious illness, post mortem proved he was not ill, tragic. this was 1963. he was working at westoe pit at the time.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Jake, I can't remember the Hills I knew most everybody in that square,
I use to go to the Clemence's house a lot in them days, I went in one day and Willie is sitting with his feet in the oven wrapped in rags, it was winter time and he was going over Cleadon Hills after rabbits with his gun, and he had read that was what the indians did to keep their feet warm.
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

gag wrote:Just came to me Cisco mate ! I think Kevin Walkers brother was called Malcolm and he was in the RAF.

cheers.
gag.
Gag, He must have been a lot older than Kevin as I never knew him or met him.
Do you know what Kevin died of gag, it was months after he died that I found out.
I know he went to live in Farding Square after his mother died.
Jake
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Jake »

Cisco, the Hills lived in the house attached to the Clemences house,
the first one you came to from the cut.

THey were called, Steve and Alice, they had a son, Steve and a daughter Margaret,
Cisco
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by Cisco »

Jake I Know exactly where you mean I would have known them by sight but I don't think our paths crossed.
gag
Full Time Gobber
Full Time Gobber

Post by gag »

Hello Cisco. I believe that Malcolm Walker was in fact a few years older than Kevin Walker. I can only just remember Malcolm being home on leave and wandering around in his RAF uniform. I knew that Kevin had died some time ago but I dont know the circumstances, I will ask around and let you know what I come up with.

cheers.
gag.